Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?


Modern Day AU Harry Potter Roleplay Site for Original Characters
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
OOC Chatbox
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 13 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:14 pm
Latest topics
» Teacher Orientation? [Jake]
by Andrei Kessler Today at 7:06 pm

» Play Date (Sophie)
by Sophie Heart Today at 7:29 am

» New Beginnings {Ambroise & Roxanne}
by Ambroise Durand Today at 5:17 am

» Advertising
by Guest Today at 3:11 am

» Stocking up (open)
by Janet Shinings Today at 12:49 am

» Versailles, December 2001
by Mimosa Harrington Yesterday at 10:13 pm

Unanswered Open Threads

None!

IC Chatbox

Share | 
 

 Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Administrator

avatar

Posts : 844
Join date : 2015-12-20

PostSubject: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:07 pm

The Great Hall begins to empty as the students trickle out from breakfast. Eventually, the Hall is bare of any students except for you, and as you stand from your seat to leave your attention is pulled away from the treasure hunt by something unusual out of the corner of your eye. At the front, where the Professors usually sit, is a pedestal. It’s not that tall, perhaps only half your height, and is pure white. You can see intricate designs of leaves carved around it.

On top of the pedestal is a chest. You take a few steps closer to investigate. It’s not too large but you know that with magic, it could hold far more than meets the eye. It is a bit shabby and old looking, as if it's gone unopened for many years, a layer of dust and what seems to be cobwebs covering it. There are hints of water damage; the lock is tight and made of a strong metal that has some traces of rust on it, and there is moss growing on the side of the chest.


What do you do?

a) Approach and investigate the chest
b) Open the chest with Alohomora
c) Ignore the chest and leave the Great Hall

(OOC: At the end of your post, please make your choice clear by writing it in another color, or bolded.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:57 am

The news of the treasure hunt had intrigued Serenity, even more so when she discovered it was to be completed individually. This was something she wouldn't have a problem with; if it was teams, or even partnership, it might be tricky. Knowing she could -- had to -- do it alone made it that much easier. And so, without much hesitation, Serenity had signed up even before she really knew the details of what would be taking place.

What was there to know, after all? It was something new, and those were always interesting; there was so much to learn from new things.

It was on one morning after breakfast, and Serenity found herself wondering when the hunt would begin. "Soon," they had been told. "You'll know," they were also told, when she asked; but how would she know? Glancing up, she realised she was the last to leave, and she stood up from her seat, mind still churning as she tried to figure stuff out, when she saw it.

Turning, she let her eyes run over the pedestal, taking in the details of both it and the chest. Was this it? The start of the hunt? Why else would an old chest be in the middle of the hall? Stepping forward at once, she made her way towards it.


Choice: a)
Back to top Go down
The Administrator

avatar

Posts : 844
Join date : 2015-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:59 am

4.
You decide to take the safe route and investigate the chest. Approaching it, you become aware the lock isn’t as sturdy as it first appeared and is almost rusted through. Now right in front of it, you realise that the chest has begun to shake a little, as though there’s something inside. Suddenly, the top bursts open and there are squeaks that fill the empty hall. There is a blur of blue as something emerges from the chest and flies over your head.

The door to the great hall slams shut and you turn to find that it’s being guarded by six creatures. They are eight inches high and are electric blue. They have long pointed ears and long arms, three fingers on each hand. You recognise them as Cornish Pixies.

They start chattering to each other, loud, shrill noises that hurts your ears. You notice one of them is holding a piece of paper -- that must be the clue! Gripping your wand tightly, you prepare to fight them.


a) Defeat the pixies in order to receive the clue. End your post with picking up the clue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:10 am

As she approached the chest, she studied it, noting the lock; it was rusty, almost broken, and she wondered if she was supposed to break it open. Taking another step forward, she stopped suddenly as the chest began to shake. Whatever was inside was alive, and she glanced over at Tammie at once; the house elf didn't seem too concerned, though, and Serenity wondered if Tammie had been briefed about what would happen during the hunt so she didn't try and 'protect' Serenity from things and accidentally help her.

Hand going to her wand, she moved her gaze back to the chest in time to see it burst open. Wincing slightly at the squeak, she nevertheless recognised it at once: cornish pixies. Following their movements, she spun, taking out her wand as she did, hearing the slam of the door.

So, this was the start of the hunt.

Noting the piece of paper in one of their hands, Serenity let out a soft sigh. She hated having to hurt creatures, as annoying as they might be. Thinking for a few moments, ignoring the noise, she settled on a route of action.

"Spongify," she said, using the softening charm just beneath the creatures. Then, slowly, accurately, she used a freezing charm, allowing them to drop, unharmed, onto the ground below. Walking over, she noted the clue had come loose. Before that, though, she used wingardium leviosa to carry each pixie back to the chest, placing them down carefully.

Then, quickly, she unfroze them, slammed the chest shut, pointed her wand at it, and said, "Colloportus". Now satisfied that they were both unharmed and unable to harm her, she made her way back to where they'd fallen, and picked up the clue.
Back to top Go down
The Administrator

avatar

Posts : 844
Join date : 2015-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:11 am

5.
The clue reads:

Brewing potions isn’t easy unless you have all the ingredients and the skill. Luckily, three have already been made for you. Find them where you first learnt how to use your cauldron. Choose wisely and your next clue will be revealed.

Quickly, you make your way down to the dungeons, bypassing empty classrooms until you reach the Potions Classroom. Stepping inside, you find, as the note had said, three small glasses on the table. You approach them.

The first contains liquid that is clear and has no special scent, instead appearing to be water. Upon closer examination, you realise that it’s slightly thicker than normal water, but other than that there’s nothing to give away what it could be.

The second glass has a light gold liquid inside, reminding you of the sky at sunset. It’s got swirls of orange inside, and smells faintly of carrots, but other than that has no scent. It’s thick, like medicine, but doesn’t look unpleasant.

The last glass contains a beautiful dark blue liquid that sparkles in the light. There appears to be bits and pieces of glitter inside it as it refracts the light. It smells familiar, but you can’t quite place it. It makes you feel safe and relaxed.

You are now faced with a choice.


Which potion do you drink?

a) The clear, almost water-like liquid
b) The bright golden liquid
c) The dark blue, sparkly liquid

(OOC: At the end of your post, please make your choice clear by writing it in another colour, or bolded.)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:36 am

It wasn't a particularly hard clue, and without needing to really think about it, Serenity started out, making her way to the dungeons. The potions classroom wasn't hard to find, and she entered, wand out, looking around. There was nothing out of the ordinary, and as she slid her wand back to where she kept it, she approached the table, studying the three potions before her.

Out of the three, she only recognised once instantly -- the blue one. It was a sleeping drought; they'd given it to her a few times in the Ministry when she had a particularly bad vision, but it was a last-means resort. They wanted her to learn to control and deal with it, not turn to potions. As such, she hadn't taken one in a long time, but she recognised it nevertheless.

That left two.

Picking up the first glass, she sniffed it, but there was nothing to smell. Was it water? She tilted it, noting the way it moved; no, it was too thick to be water. What was it, then? She didn't know, and she didn't like that.

The second one was something she didn't know, either, although she recognised the smell. Much thicker than the water-like one had been, it smelt like carrots and did not remind her of anything she'd ever seen or read about. What was it?

There was a fifty-fifty chance of getting it wrong, and she glanced helplessly at Tammie. But the house-elf stood at the side of the room, looking straight ahead, and gave nothing away. Serenity sighed, almost to herself, and then reached for the second glass; it was pretty, and seemed to at least have some kind of properties, which the water-one didn't.


Choice: b)
Back to top Go down
The Administrator

avatar

Posts : 844
Join date : 2015-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:37 am

8a.
The golden liquid seems to be a wise choice and you down it. It’s not unpleasant, tasting only slightly of carrots, but it’s thick and hard to swallow. For a while, nothing happens and you wonder if you’ve wasted your time -- but then, slowly, your start to see a tint of gold around your vision. You blink a few times, trying to clear it, but it only gets worse until all you can see is a film of gold.

Abruptly, the film clears, and as you look around, you realise you can see something written on the wall that wasn’t there before. Written in gold letters, it says:

Make your way to Greenhouse Two to find the next clue. Remember to watch your step, but don’t be afraid to take a leap of faith!

You leave the potions behind and make your way outside to the Greenhouses, finding Greenhouse Two easily enough. Opening the door, you find it’s pitch black. You take a while to adjust, but once you do, you realise that in front of you is a pit. Remembering the instructions of the clue, you take the jump and find yourself being grabbed by a plant! It twists itself around you and starts to squeeze.

You realise that you can’t reach your wand.


What do you do?

a) Struggle
b) Don’t struggle

(OOC: At the end of your post, please make your choice clear by writing it in another colour, or bolded.)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:53 am

It wasn't bad tasting, and as the faint trace of carrots faded, she made a face at the remnants of the potion still stuck in her throat; she had to swallow a few times to clear it. Then, looking around, she frowned. Nothing was happening. Looking towards Tammie once more, she was about to ask if her house-elf thought she should try the other potion when a sudden gold at the side of her eyes caught her attention and she turned, trying to see what it was.

It wasn't until she had turned a little more that she realised it was her eyes and not the room. Blinking a few times, she rubbed at her eyes, wondering if a drop of potion had somehow ended up there. But it didn't help, and a few moments later all she could see was a layer of gold and nothing else.

A slight fear began to rise, but she held it back easily enough; she was used to fear and the unknown, and this wasn't as confusing or disorientating as a vision was. Standing there, she kept blinking, waiting. It would clear, with time, hopefully; if it didn't she'd merely ask Tammie to apparate her to St. Mungo's and alert one of the Ministry workers.

And then, just as she was considering this, her vision cleared, and she automatically looked around to make sure everything was as it should be. Noticing the writing on the wall, she stopped, stepping closer to read it.

Again, it wasn't so much a clue as an instruction, and Serenity left the room behind, still wondering what the clear liquid was -- she'd have to ask the Professor the next time she saw him, or ask around the common room to see who had tried it -- and started down the path to the greenhouses.

Stepping into the one clearly labeled 'Greenhouse 2', she blinked against the sudden darkness and stood at the entrace, adjusting. For a moment, she was tempted to use her wand, but decided against it. There was no knowing what plants were inside or what lay in store; the last thing she wanted was to hurt a plant with light. There was a reason the place was in darkness, that was for sure, and so she waited until her eyes had adjusted.

A pit was before her, and she peered down it, trying to figure out what was inside. The instructions given didn't escape her -- leap of faith -- and she hesitated, turning to Tammie. "Is it safe?" she asked, quietly. Many times she'd been cautioned by those in the Ministry; she was to do nothing that could so much as jepordize her safety, because as a Seer her responsibility was to the department first and foremost.

Tammie smiled and nodded. "Safe," she confirmed, and Serenity let out a breath and turned back to the pit. Closing her eyes, she steadied her nerves and jumped, falling, falling, fallin-- something stopped her movements a couple seconds later. A vine, by the feel of the cool rubbery tendils wrapping around her. She could feel it, gently running a finger down a section of it, trying to identify it without sight.

It continued to squeeze, and as Serenity automatically moved for her wand, she found her arms pinned to her side; she couldn't move! The darkness didn't help... That's it! Darkness. It has to be devil's snare! she thought. At once, she forced herself to relax, focusing on her breathing -- in, out, in, out, in, out -- and allowing her muscles to go limp.


Choice: b)
Back to top Go down
The Administrator

avatar

Posts : 844
Join date : 2015-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:53 am

10a.
You relax, deciding not to fight the plant. The tentacles tightens a little, but still you do nothing, and a moment later you feel it stop. Bit by bit it loosens its grip until you find that you are slipping down, past it, and a few seconds later you drop down softly and unharmed onto the ground below. Already adjusted to the dimness of the area, you look around and find that you are in the middle of a small hallway. In front of you is a door with a note on it.

Your next task brings you into the lake. Choose wisely.

To your left is what appears to be a dead tree stump on top of a bottle of something green. From where you are, it looks like slimy, grey-green rat tails. There’s a label on the jar, but you can’t make it out from here.

To your right is a small table with ingredients and a cauldron in the middle of it. There’s a piece of parchment beside it, and while it appears to be a list of instructions, you can’t read what the potion is or how to make it.


Which do you choose?

a) Investigate the potions table
b) Investigate the mysterious jar under the stump

(OOC: At the end of your post, please make your choice clear by writing it in another colour, or bolded.)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:14 am

The plant started squeezing harder, but Serenity focused on her breathing still, trusting her knowledge and the plant to do what it always did; the laws of nature hardly ever changed. Sure enough, as the seconds passed, the tightening relaxed, and she felt herself slipping down. Still resisting the natural urge to tense up, she let herself fall further and further until she was clear of the plant. Her feet landed gently on the ground; looking up, she noted the plant just a few feet away and smiled as she heard a crack beside her, turning to see Tammie there.

Automatically, she moved towards the door, stopping to take in the note. Choose? Choose what? Only then did she glanced properly around, taking in the table on her right and the stump on her left. If her suspicions were right, the stump wasn't ordinary.

If she were to go to -- she frowned, looking back to the note, and corrected herself mentally -- into the lake, she would need to be able to breathe underwater. While there were potions she knew about that could acheive this, it was a tedious one that couldn't be interrupted. What were the chances of receiving a prophecy halfway? Not very high, but it wasn't a chance she wanted to take.

Instead, she turned her attention towards the stump, focusing on the bottle underneath it. What was the grey-green thing inside? It looked familiar, as though she should know what it was, and she frowned a little. Where had she seen it before?

Hand on her wand -- she didn't trust the stump; in a greenhouse, nothing was ever as it seemed -- Serenity cautiously approached it.


Choice: b)
Back to top Go down
The Administrator

avatar

Posts : 844
Join date : 2015-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:17 am

12a
You decide to investigate the stump. The label on the jar says ‘Gillyweed’. As you near it, you take in the stump. It’s old, with moss growing at the side, and thick branches curled inwards. The jar sits in the middle of an opening of the trunk; it is just wide enough for your hand to reach inside and pull out the jar.

You take another step forward and at once the plant springs to life. The branches extend outwards, vines emerging from somewhere inside it. They are long and thin, covered in thorns, and wave around dangerously. You hesitate and realise that they aren’t reaching for you, and seem to be moving at random, protecting the jar. If you are fast enough, you could reach inside and grab it without getting hurt, or you could try and use a spell.

The other option you have is to ignore the plant altogether and opt for brewing the potion instead.


What do you do?

a) Get the jar of Gillyweed (write the successful obtaining of the jar to continue)
b) Go over to the potions table

(OOC: At the end of your post, please make your choice clear by writing it in another colour, or bolded.)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:34 am

As she got closer, she could make out the alphabets on the label, and almost kicked herself. Of course! It was Gillyweed; how did she not place it earlier? It wasn't as if she didn't know what it was. Stepping forward, she was about to reach for it when she stopped suddenly, remembering her earlier warning to herself to not trust the stump.

She took a step back, and studied it. There wasn't anything really interesting about it, but she was already processing the information. Old stump. Greenhouse. Dark area... There was more to it than just a stump, she was sure. What was it she read in a textbook a while back? Something that started with an 's'... Snuggle... snugal... Snargal? And didn't the last part sound like a house? Snargal..ryn? No, that wasn't right. "Snargalpuff?" she tried, aloud, then shook her head; that didn't sound right, either. But whatever the name was, she was half-sure that she was looking at one.

There was only one way to test her theory, and she stepped forward. Immediately, the stump uncurled itself, branches reaching out towards her. She nodded once to herself. Her textbook -- a sixth year one she borrowed from a housemate once when she was bored with nothing to do -- Serenity tried to recall what it had said. Wasn't there something about doing it best in pairs?

Cautiously, she eyed the thing. Perhaps this was a smaller one, that was less dangerous. But there was still the problem of the vines... She had long-sleeves on -- as always, to hide her arms -- and it wasn't as though she was opposed to pain, but if the plant tore up her sleeves, her arm might be exposed and... She frowned. It was only then that she realised her wand was still in her hand, and she almost rolled her eyes. How dumb was she?

"Immobulus," she said, firmly. The plant froze at once, and, muttering an apology, Serenity stepped forward, retrieved the jar, and stepped back before unfreezing the Snar-whatever-puff.


Choice: a)
Back to top Go down
The Administrator

avatar

Posts : 844
Join date : 2015-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:35 am

13b
You manage to get the jar from the stump successfully. Taking it with you, you leave the hall through the door, making your way down to the Black Lake. Reaching the shore you look around and notice there is a sign post that has never been there before. Beneath it is a locked box. The sign post explains that the box is magically locked and can only be opened with the key -- which is located somewhere in the marked out section of the lake.

It goes on to tell you that there are three areas for you to explore. The first is the kelp forest. The second is a rock pile. The third is a small cave. It ends with wishing you luck and adds that if you run into trouble to shoot red sparks from your wand; the merpeople on standby will assist you.

You eat the Gillyweed just before you enter the water. You feel the gills grow and you plunge into the lake and find you can breathe without issues. You start to swim downwards, and soon find yourself facing the decision of which area to search first.


Where do you go?

a) The kelp forest
b) The rock pile
c) The small cave

(OOC: At the end of your post, please make your choice clear by writing it in another colour, or bolded.)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:14 am

Jar under one arm, Serenity walked over to the door and left, finding herself now outside the greenhouses. Following the path, she made her way to the Black Lake, Tammie right beside her as always. Instead of heading to her normal position in a small clearing beside it, she went to the main section, and noticed the sign post as she neared.

Approaching it, she took in the sign and the box underneath with a frown. The lake was huge! How was she to find one small key in all of that? As she kept reading, however, she smiled. That made it easier.

Reading it a few times to commit it to memory, she made sure she knew what she was going to do before opening the jar. Making a face, she forced herself to pick out and chew one of the pieces of Gillyweed inside, fighting against her refelx to gag. It tasted awful, but she could feel it working at once. Hurrying to the edge of the lake, she dove in headfirst, breathing in deeply as soon as her head was underwater, testing out the gills.

This was something she wanted to do for a very, very long time, but hadn't had the opportunity to try. She heard a second splash, and turned to see Tammie following her. How the house elf was able to do it, she didn't know; she'd ask later.

Instead, she spent a few moments just testing out the extent of the gillyweed, turning around underwater and seeing how far she could push her body. A few minutes later, she finally turned her attention to her surroundings.

The kelp forest looked so large and so difficult to search, so she wrote that off. That left the cave and the rock pile. From where she was, the pile looked the smallest and easiest to search; so, without waiting any longer, she kicked towards it.


Choice: b)
Back to top Go down
The Administrator

avatar

Posts : 844
Join date : 2015-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:15 am

15a
The rock pile sounds promising and so you head off there first. Upon closer inspection you find that the rock pile is actually rather huge and contains many nooks and crannies. You come across many interesting things -- an old boot, a few galleons, a few sea snails, and other odds and ends. You sort through everything, poking into all the holes carefully. An eel slithers out and swims away without disturbing you.

It takes more time than you thought, but you search the pile thoroughly, making sure to get into each of the possible hiding place. Eventually, after finishing the search, you come up empty. The key must be hidden in one of the other two locations and you leave the pile behind to return to the start. The only options left are the cave and the kelp forest.


Where do you go?

a) The kelp forest
b) The small cave

(OOC: At the end of your post, please make your choice clear by writing it in another colour, or bolded.)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:44 am

She realised her mistake as she reached it. A key hidden in such a vast area was not going to be easy to find, but having already made her decision, she saw no harm looking around. Digging through the pile, carefully and slowly, she pulled out numerous different things.

The boot she put back, knowing it could become a home for some creature; the galleons she pocketed; the sea snails she watched for a few moments; the twigs she put back; and the eel made her jerk back, but it passed by without so much as acknowledging her. Going back to the pile, she continued searching through it as thoroughly as she could, but found nothing.

With a soft sigh, she watched the bubbles float to the top before turning away and swimming back to the starting point. The kelp forest still seemed too vast, and that left only one other options; she turned towards the cave and started towards it, drawing her wand as she did in case the place was dark.


Choice: b)
Back to top Go down
The Administrator

avatar

Posts : 844
Join date : 2015-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:52 am

16b
Deciding to try the cave next, you swim towards it. It’s badly lit and small, and you take a moment to adjust to the light. Something glimmers at the very back. You just manage to make out the shape of a key hanging on the wall! It seems that the cave was the smart choice, and you move forward to take the key. Suddenly, something darts out from a small crevice hidden at the back.

It’s a small creature, green in colour, long tentacle like fingers moving around it. It’s a grindylow! It bears its teeth at you. The key seems to be under its protection. If you want it, you have to fight it. As you prepare to do so a second thought hits you -- you could always ask the merpeople for help.


What do you do?

a) Fight the creature yourself
b) Ask the merpeople for help

(OOC: At the end of your post, please make your choice clear by writing it in another colour, or bolded.)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:35 pm

The cave was smarler than she expected, which was a good thing. The dim lighting took a moment to adjust to -- she didn't dare use her wand for light, in case there was something inside that was going to attack if they were disturbed -- but as soon as it did she looked around. At the very back, she could make out the shape of something small, refracting the small amount of light that entered. It was the key!

She swam forward at once, only to hesitate when something darted out.

She recognised the grindylow as soon as it was still enough for her to see. Her hand raised her wand a little, not wanting to hurt the creature but also knowing she wasn't going to get a chance to get the key unless it was out of the way. Still, the idea of having to fight anything made her feel uncomfortable; if it was self-defence it was one thing, but to willingly attack something else...

Unless... She let out a tiny gasp as she realised what she'd momentarily forgotten. Grindylows were sometimes kept as pets by merpeople -- the very ones she could call on for help! Hopefully they would be able to make the creature give her the key (or help her get it) without hurting it.

Raising her wand, she poured her will into the spell and watched the red sparks light up the water.


Choice: b)
Back to top Go down
The Administrator

avatar

Posts : 844
Join date : 2015-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:38 pm

18a
You raise your wand and conjure up red sparks. Within seconds a merperson is by your side. You gesture towards the grindylow and explain that you just want the key. The merperson goes over to the grindylow and appears to talk to it for a few moments before petting it on its head; the grindylow swims off and the merperson takes the key and hands it to you before leaving.

You make your way out of the cave and back to the shore. Quickly, you unlock the box. Inside is your next clue.

Follow the path of life to find the shack in the middle of the forest.

You head into the forest, walking down the only path further into the thicket of trees. A few moments in, you find that the road splits into three. A signpost labels the paths with a mere picture; the one on the right is marked by a crude drawing of a flame, the one in the middle is marked by a drawing of a water droplet, and the one to the left is marked by a drawing of a leaf.


Which path do you take?

a) The right one (marked by the drawing of a flame)
b) The middle one (marked by the drawing of a water droplet)
c) The left one (marked by the drawing of a leaf)

(OOC: At the end of your post, please make your choice clear by writing it in another colour, or bolded.)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:17 pm

The red sparks lit up the water, and she barely had a chance to blink before a merperson is there. She smiled at him (her?) and pointed towards the Grindylow. "I need the key," she said, an apology in her tone. "I think he wants it, though." The merperson smiled at her in returned, nodded, and moved to the grindylow. She watched the exchange between them, and then broke into a wider smile as it left and the key was brought over.

"Thank you," she called out as he (she?) left.

Leaving the lake, she was just getting out as the effects of the gillyweed ended, and she moved to the box, unlocking it. The clue made no sense, but it pointed her in the direction of the forst, and so that was where she headed. For the first time, she would be allowed inside; it was not against the rules if it was part of the hunt.

There was only one path, so what did the clue mean? She turned it around in her mind as she walked until she saw the path split. Things became clear in that moment and she stopped short, staring at the pictures on the posts. A flame to the right, a water in the middle, and a leaf to the left.

Path of life.

She turned to Tammie. "I don't get it," she said, simply. There was a pause, during which Tammie just looked at her; Serenity knew her house-elf was not supposed to help, and she didn't expect help. She just always worked things out better aloud. "They all represent life."

She gestured to the leaf. "That's the most obvious. Spring is when things grow and that means new life, and a leaf is obviously something alive; we are surrounded by life now." She paused. "But water is important for life, too. If we don't drink, we die, and what helps plants grow? Water. What does the sea mean for fish? Life; without it, they die. Without water, we die. So that is also life."

Once more she stopped, turning to look at the last symbol, a frown touching her features. "And fire... Fire destroys. Fire hurts and causes pain -- but it's beautiful, and for the pheonix represents life. If there is no fire, it has no life. And heat... We need fire to live, too. To cook, for food, to keep warm..."

She lapsed into silence, then, thinking deeply.

On one hand the leaf seemed the most obvious answer; what screamed 'life' more than green vegetation? A green field, a green tree... That meant a place was thriving and full of life. Forests were green and those held the most types of living creatures, from plants to wildlife to insects.

But the water. Water was equally important to life. Without water, plants wouldn't surive. Did this therefore mean that it was more 'life' than the green leaf was, since the green leaf wouldn't have life without water?

And then there was the fire... If the water came into contact with fire, fire died. But fire could technically burn underwater, and volcanos formed islands, where life was then found -- and volcanos had lava, which was technically fire. Fire could destroy, yes, but it was also beautiful and helped create if used in the right way.

Minutes passed in silence as she debated it internally. Neither of these were life on it's own; they relied on one another. If there was no heat, there wouldn't be any evaporation and there wouldn't be rain; if there wasn't rain -- water -- vegetation wouldn't grow, and if there wasn't vegetation to fuel the fire, it would go out.

There was nothing that could distinguish one as 'life', since they depended on each other.

A few moments later, she sighed, glancing up at the canvas of trees above her, as though she'd find an answer written in the way the leaves and branches stretched out to greet one another, the rays of sunshine barely breaking through to reach the plants on the floor...

"The sun!" she said, suddenly. "We are only alive because of the sun. The sun is a star. Stars are big balls of fire. Fire is the answer!"

Satisfied that her answer was sound and there was no other solution beside that, she nodded once to herself and turned to the right. Not faltering in her steps, confident she had worked it out, she started down the path of fire.


Choice: a)
Back to top Go down
The Administrator

avatar

Posts : 844
Join date : 2015-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:19 pm

19a
You pick fire and walk down the right path. The trees start to thicken as you walk further down, and soon the leaves and branches form a canopy above you, blocking the sun. Still you press on forward, trudging through the path. It is eerily quiet, with only the rare insect chirping, but you don’t let that deter you as you keep going.

Finally, up ahead, you see a clearing; rays of light break through and light up your path, and you hurry forward to the clearing. To the left is a small hut, seemingly abandoned. It is old, windowpanes missing the glass, cobwebs covering parts of the wood. You head towards it and find the door is open. You enter and find a single chair in the middle of the room.

In it sits a house elf. He looks at you and smiles. “Some people say fire is destructive, but it isn’t always true. To the phoenix, it is life. It also represents passion, and without passion people are alive but aren’t living; there is no life.” He seems to be repeating something memoried. “Answer this question honestly to get your next clue: why do you fear?”


a) Answer the question in order to continue.

(OOC: You may use the House Elf in your post to reply to your character if you wish. They can have a deep conversation if you want them to.)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:49 pm

She continued to walk, noting with some concern that she was going deeper and further into the forest. For but a moment, Serenity wondered if she'd made the right choice, but processing through her reasonings once more told her that there was no other possible answer and, confident in her logic, continued onwards, letting nothing stop her.

Eventually, she saw a break in the thicket around her, and pushed herself on. She was beginning to sweat a little with the huminity of the forest, but as she stepped into the clearning, cool air -- despite the sunshine -- greeted her, and she smiled softly at the hut.

Cautiously, wand drawn, she moved towards the hut. It was where she was supposed to be, yes, but it looked so old... Noticing the door ajar, she peeked inside before entering, surprise on her face at the house elf there. Glancing over at Tammie, she saw no recognition on her house elf's face, and so turned her attention to what the one before her was saying.

His reasons made sense; it was something she hadn't even considered. After all, without a passion of her own, Serenity had never really experienced Life, and therefore it did not once cross her mind that she'd been missing anything. It still didn't strike her, his question throwing her off balance.

For a long, long while she stayed silent, processing the question. It was a good one, one she'd never really considered before. Three minutes in, she let out a sigh, and then sat down, crossing her legs beneath her; Tammie, recognising the look on her face, also took a seat, although she kept her eyes trained on the young Seer. Serenity, however, had her eyes closed, mouth moving in silent words as she argued with herself and threw out points for consideration.

In order to first answer the why, she needed the what -- and that was plenty.

She feared her abilities. She feared being used; she feared not having a use. She feared not knowing; she feared knowing too much. She feared nightmares, both in dreams and in real life. She feared evil, and hatred, and hurt. She feared being abandoned; she feared being owned. She feared the night; she also feared the day. She feared people; she feared being truly alone. She feared death; she feared life.

But why? If it had been why she feared those things, she had an answer.

She was afraid because she didn't want to be an object, but she also didn't want to not contribute to the world. She was afraid because if she didn't know, that meant there was a gap in her knowledge, but if she knew too much, she would be overwhelmed. She was afraid because they were scary, both what her mind made up and what she Saw in real life.

She was afraid because there was so much hurt in the world, and too much and she was afraid the very foundations would crack. She was afraid because the dark represented the unknown, but the day shed light on horrors she wished she'd never seen. She was afraid because she knew what people could do, but not having anyone to help her made her want to give up. She was afraid because nobody knew what happened after, but being alive meant witnessing things that should never happen.

But that wasn't the question at all; it wasn't why she feared what she feared. It was, simply, why? Why did she fear in the first place?

It wasn't a scientific question. It wasn't a how her brain worked, or what chemicals were released (a muggleborn friend had tried explaining biology to her once; it went over her head, but she was interested nevertheless). It was an honest and simply why, and for the life of her, Serenity could not figure it out.

She simply did. It was what made her real; it was what made her human. If she didn't fear, she didn't feel, and if she didn't feel... Her eyes flew open and she stood, turning to the House Elf.

"Why," she repeated, looking at him with some curiosity. "Is a hard question. Why do we do anything?"

The house elf looked at her, blinking slowly. Serenity shrugged. "We do what we do for our own reasons, but all because we are alive. We have life and we can, right?" She paused, eyes intently searching the face of the house elf for signs he understood before going on. "I fear because I am alive. Because I am human. Because I am not dead. But, more importantly, because I can. And I will, because it's better than not feeling anything at all and therefore not living."
Back to top Go down
The Administrator

avatar

Posts : 844
Join date : 2015-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:55 pm

22
The House Elf nods at your answer, seemingly satisfied with the explanation you’ve given him. He smiles at you. “Make your way out of the forest and over to the Care of Magical creatures paddock.” He says nothing more and you leave the shack behind. There is a path behind it with a sign indicating it is the exit and you follow it. It’s not as scary as the other one, with light from above guiding your way. However, the trees beside you are close together and thick, with hardly any gaps between them.

Suddenly, up ahead, you notice something blocking your path. A giant boulder is in the way! Upon closer inspection, it seems to be made of twine and interwound branches. It’s huge and in the middle of the path, so you can’t walk around it. The trees are too thick for you to be able to enter into the forest and find another path. It seems the only way to get rid of the giant ball is by magic.


What spell do you use?

a) Wingardium Leviosa
b) Flipendo
c) Incendio

(OOC: At the end of your post, please make your choice clear by writing it in another colour, or bolded.)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:31 am

There was a long pause as the house elf digested her answer, and for a moment Serenity wondered if it was enough. She understood, yes, but would someone else? It wasn't properly delivered, and she should have elaborated further, but she wasn't sure how to explain it. But, eventually, the house elf smiled at her and nodded, giving her further instructions.

Exiting the hut, Serenity found the path she was supposed to take and followed it, noting how narrow the path was. Lost in her thoughts, she didn't see the boulder until she was almost right upon it and stopped short. What now?

There was no way she could go around it and there was nothing she could do but try and get rid of it. Not liking the idea of destroying it, she decided on one of the simple spells she had learnt. Slipping out her wand, she pointed it at the ball of twine and said, simply, "Wingardium leviosa."


Choice: a)
Back to top Go down
The Administrator

avatar

Posts : 844
Join date : 2015-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:09 am

23a
You decide to use Wingdardium Leviosa to move the ball of twine and interwound branches from your path. You raise your wand and perform the spell. The spell hits the ball and you watch as the spell takes effect and the ball of twine is lifted high above you. There is no place for you to put it down, however, and, carefully, you step under it and move the ball behind you before carefully lower it back to the path.

With the path before you now clear, you make your way out towards the exit of the forest and find yourself at the paddock.

You find yourself faced with a Centaur.

The Centaur considers you for a moment, but they have a far off look in their eyes, as if considering some other worldly ideologies. A few more moments pass, before the Centaur’s attention finally makes it’s way to you. “The planets’ alignment is almost complete,” the Centaur says in a far off voice. “Upon such a time, it is unknown of what consequences you may face…

“Who are you really? Describe yourself without using your name, or any attributes given to you by society and really think. Deep down, who are you?” the Centaur adds, not really making any connection to their earlier words. Sense, though, was never truly something that Centaurs ever made.


a) Answer the question in order to continue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman   

Back to top Go down
 
Treasure Hunt - Serenity Newman
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» A little treasure hunt [Completed Task]
» Cassie Newman
» Hunt at the Lake (For Intan and Eithne)
» Charles L W C Norris-Newman "Noggs"
» Callum Hunt

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hogwarts & Beyond :: Archives :: Archived Threads :: Archives Game Eight-
Jump to: