Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Day AU Harry Potter Roleplay Site for Original Characters

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
OOC Shoutbox
Current Plot
September 2028

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 108 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am
Latest topics
» The Wonder Years - Yellow - December, 2009 (Alexagramma)
The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander) Emptyby Annagramma Hawkeye Today at 5:21 pm

» 100 Word Tag Drabble Challenge
The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander) Emptyby Mimosa Harrington Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:38 pm

» .The Wonder Years - Blue - June, 2009 (Alexagramma)
The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander) Emptyby Alexander Quinn Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:41 pm

» The Wonder Years - Red - May, 2008 (Alexagramma)
The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander) Emptyby Annagramma Hawkeye Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:48 pm

» Fly on the wings of fondness (JacZalea)
The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander) Emptyby Jacques Clement Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:49 pm

Unanswered Open Threads
None!
IC Chatbox

The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander)

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander) Empty
PostSubject: The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander)   The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander) EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 12:53 pm

Days had turned in to weeks, and weeks slowly in to months. Alexander had met with more girls looking to become his fiance over the Christmas break, and as of yet, no decision had been made. French, German, Polish, Spanish, you name it, Alexander had probably met with girls from so many countries now, that it was seeming to become a blur.

Every girl had been near enough the same to him.

Except one.

Chara Fletcher had possibly been the only witch that Alexander had believed to have a personality. It was difficult to bring it to the surface at times, but the witch had ideas and opinions of her own, and didn't need him to supply her with one. Whilst it wasn't orthodox in their social status, it was refreshing. However, Alexander hadn't made a decision yet, because he still wasn't sure about what he'd seen of the witch.

Since their meeting at his home, Alexander had only seen the witch in passing, murmuring a polite hello, and asking her quickly how she was, before he was whisked away by his friends, or a lesson had begun. He'd seen the witch attempt to come and talk to him, but he'd been busy in almost every situation, so he'd flashed her a small smile before turning away.

February had crept up on them much too quickly, and the snow had finally melted away. That morning, the Great Hall had been decorated accordingly for St Valentine's Day, not that Alexander was very interested in that. Love, in his opinion, was just a hopeless idea designed to keep the lesser people amused. Owls had come and gone, and Alexander had paid no mind to the letters his friends had received. As he sat at the table as they chuckled over mindless words, Alexander's eyes traveled across the vast hall to the brunette he kept missing in the hallway.

Chara.

In her hands was a piece of parchment, carefully rolled and tied with a piece of red ribbon. A small frown touched his features as he excused himself from the table and made his way towards the witch in question. As he moved, she'd untied it, read it, and smiled to herself. Alexander wasn't sure what to make of that, but he continued until he was stood behind her.

"Love from... Question mark." He read, barely a whisper as he leaned down enough to read. "How very original." He commented dryly. There wasn't much more to say on that, either, so he didn't instead, straightening himself up and waiting for the witch to acknowledge his presence.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander)   The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander) EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 1:52 pm

Frustrating as it was, Chara did not - could not - get a read on the boy that was Alexander. Since that first meeting that she hated to think about, because she had gone and done things that no Pureblood female ever should, she had barely talked to the Cavendish heir, let alone spend any time with him like she intended. What she was imagining would happen, she didn't really know - bonding over homework, or studying together had certainly not escaped her imagination - but it didn't seem as though the boy wanted anything more to do with her... except for the fact that he would greet her in the hallways. But then, he wouldn't talk to her when she did approach him, instead smiling before walking off with his friends.

To say she was confused was a gross understatement. If she could trade all her wealth and her entire status for anything in the world, it would be to be able to, if even for a mere moment, understand Alexander.

Before she knew what was happening, days turned into weeks, and weeks turned into months, and suddenly, February had arrived. Getting out of bed on that second Sunday was more than hard, because she knew exactly what day it was. Valentine's Day. The day that couples and lovers could act all lovey-dovey in public and not get told off. The day she hated the most. It wasn't because she didn't believe in love - quite the contrary, in fact - but because it served as a sort of reminder that she would never get love in that way.

Yes, Chara Fletcher was secretly a romantic at heart. The side of her that she kept hidden, simply because it would do her no good.. But one thing she truly wished she could have, the one thing that she did mind giving up for her status (but did nevertheless) was a chance at proper, true love. To be able to choose, and not be chosen. To wait until she was ready, and not follow the timing of her future fiancée, whoever that may be. Valentine's Day was just a reminder that this could never be so.

Slipping into her seat at the Great Hall (which had been decorated for the 'special' day), Chara took a plate of cut fruits and waited for the spectacle to begin. True enough, a few moments later, the owls began pouring in, with letters and gifts and all sorts of other keepsakes from lovers dropping into the laps of their recipients.

To her surprise, she saw a familiar looking owl flying towards her, drop something, and leave. Eyes growing slightly wider, she picked up the parchment and gently pulled off the ribbon; unrolling the paper, she couldn't help but smile as she read the words in familiar handwriting.

My dearest Chara,

I hope you have a splendid day today. Don't let anyone rob you of your joy. Keep smiling; you look gorgeous when you smile.

I'm sending you a box of those chocolates you love next week, because you deserve chocolate on days other than today. I'll be seeing you around! Never forget that you are my joy.

Love from,
?

The smile was now wide, and her eyes sparkled at the cheekiness of the letter. Indeed, she knew exactly who it was from, although the question mark itself had been a dead give away. And then, suddenly, she heard someone muttering behind her and she jumped just a little. The voice was, without a doubt, more surprising than the arrival of the letter had been, and she took a quick moment to compose herself as she turned to face the Slytherin.

"Good morning, Alexander," she greeted politely, wondering but not asking what he was doing there. Instead, she added a, "How have you been doing?"
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander)   The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander) EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 2:05 pm

Alexander hadn't meant to make Chara jump in all honesty, though the subtle movement of fright wasn't missed. Okay, it had made him smile slightly, but his intentions hadn't been for that to happen. Though, he did wonder why she was so jumpy. Perhaps it was the soppy message on the paper he'd managed to quickly read before her attention had turned towards him.

Keeping his expression neutral as not to show his confusion at the message and the notion that someone could possibly like the witch in a manner he didn't feel comfortable with, Alexander smiled as Chara greeted him.

"Morning." He replied with a small smile, taking up a seat beside the witch, though his back was towards the table, as opposed to sitting properly. The question of how he'd been doing was a plain one, and Alexander knew she was much more interesting than that when she chose to be. With a small raise of an eyebrow in question of the question he'd been asked, Alexander looked around for a moment, debating an answer.

"I've been doing well." He commented, though it was a flimsy answer. "How about yourself?" He asked, eyes moving back to the witch as his eyebrow raised once more. He liked the game he'd played last time he'd met Chara, and he wondered if she would play again. Reaching to the parchment in the witch's hand, Alexander gently prized it from her hands and opened it, pretending to read the words he'd already seen.

"Someone is fond of you." Alexander stated, it had meant to be a question, but the evidence was before him. But the statement was one that held a lot of weight, and he was quite sure Chara would understand the words to be what he really meant in that moment.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander)   The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander) EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 2:21 pm

Again with the conflicting gestures, she thought to herself, inwardly sighing. Their first meet had been.. interesting, in a word, but she did not like being toyed with. She was not a toy; she was a person, a human being. And yet, from what she could tell, Alexander saw people as just that - something he could play.

His answer was less than satisfactory, but Chara had no choice other than to accept it. Keeping up her smile, which by now was threatening to disappear as quickly as he had shown up, she nodded. "I'm fairing alright, thank you," she replied in return. There was nothing more to add, nothing she knew to add. Alexander was good at leaving her speechless - or at least, she thought he was. They had, after all, only had one proper conversation. It seemed that, of all days, he had picked Valentine's Day for their second.

Why today? she couldn't help but wonder. He came over. Was it the letter? Does he think.. Oh my goodness... He doesn't.. Does he?

Chara didn't know to protest when she felt his hand near hers, nor did she move when the parchment was pulled from her. What could she have done? There was no way she could tell him to mind his business, but that was exactly what she wanted to do. She knew what the letter would sound like to someone who didn't know, who didn't understand - and nobody ever did. So, with a sinking feeling in her stomach, she watched him as he read the neatly written words, wanting nothing more than to wake up from this nightmare.

That's it, isn't it? A nightmare. Please let it be so.

But her wishing did nothing, and she was faced with a second statement from the Slytherin. Swallowing dryly, she managed to shake her head as she motioned with a small indication of her hand towards the paper. "It's not what you think," she said softly. His words had hurt. She was supposed to be earning his friendship, making sure that he chose her, and here she was with what appeared to be a love letter from an 'anonymous' boy on Valentine's Day. What more, it spoke of chocolate and had so many inside jokes and references that to explain it would be prying into her personal life from years before. Spilling secrets and memories of her past was not something she wanted to do, no matter how innocent they may be, lest of all to the boy in front of her.

"It's actually a fairly long story," she added moments later. Hopefully he would not press further.. But who was she kidding? From that one meeting with him, already she knew that it was a very high possibility that he was going to do that.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander)   The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander) EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 2:35 pm

The small response wasn't of much interest to Alexander, he hadn't expected it to be, boring questions left way to only boring answers, so it was never a surprise. Even the polite words weren't really necessary, but Alexander allowed it, not wanting to make her feel too out of place with a lot of people around them.

Although...

But the answer to his statement merely brought a smile to Alexander's lips. It wasn't what it seemed? Well, he would very much like to know what it was if it wasn't the blatantly obvious show of affection that the piece of parchment showed. And such neat handwriting - well, Alexander was quite sure it would be one of their people that this had come from. Had, perhaps, the Fletcher's decided to slip past the Cavendish family because they had found someone else?

With a quick search in his head, Alexander ruled that the only person possibly more eligible than himself was... Looking across the room, his eyes landed on the Murray heir, who was much too much of an eagle eye not to have noticed his presence at the Hufflepuff table. However, Joshua Murray did not look in the slightest bit interested in this interaction, so that was ruled out a moment later.

The Fletcher's weren't stupid, they would wait for him to say no before looking elsewhere, of that much he was quite sure of. So that meant... His smile grew a little more in that moment, despite not having said anything. Chara had found herself a secret lover, perhaps? They always said it was the quiet ones, but it seemed even that had been pushed away in that moment.

"It's actually a fairly long story,"

"I'm sure you can find the time to explain to me." Alexander responded to her words, showing that he would quite like to know what this was about. Handing the piece of parchment back, Alexander looked at her expectantly. After all, how was he supposed to pick a witch who seemed to have a lover already and spend the rest of his life as the other man in her life? It was, perhaps, too cynical for a boy of fifteen, but Alexander had been taught from a young age that whilst his own fidelity wouldn't be a question, his wife's could certainly be questioned.

And that was what Chara had been hoping for, so he most certainly wasn't going to go in to a decision without the full information.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander)   The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander) EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 2:59 pm

There had been no reply for a few seconds, and the nervousness only grew - as did the indignation at having to answer for a simple piece of paper - but she hid both behind the never-faltering smile. When the Slytherin's gaze shifted, she did her best not to follow, although she knew it was in the direction of his table. What is he looking for? She tried to push the questions out of her head, instead focusing on the piece of grape on her plate as she counted the seconds.

Then, as she already expected, the instruction came for her to expand. Despite already having known this was coming, Chara couldn't help but feel just a tad bit of anger towards the older boy. Why should I? she thought of saying - wished she could say - but of course she couldn't.

Automatically accepting the letter back, she murmured a thanks, inwardly smiling at the irony of having to thank him for giving something that belonged to her back. Nevertheless, manners was always important.

Alright, where do I start? The beginning? No, that's too long... For a couple of seconds she played with the words in her mind, finally settling on an approach. "The boy who sent it, his name is Colby," she began slowly. "I've known him since I was five. He was from the family next door, also Pureblood, and we had play dates all the time when our parents met. Our family and theirs are close friends," she continued, expanding only a little, and purposely leaving out the last name. There was no need for any of those details. "He's two years older than me and already engaged to a wonderful woman. Colby and I are friends, that is all."

Growing slightly more confident, she lifted the parchment and pointed to the question mark. "We used to do that all the time - sign things with a question mark, because we couldn't spell our names yet." Her finger moved towards the term of endearment before her name. "He calls his sisters that as well. That's what our.." She paused, searching for the right word. "..our level of friendship has reached. He's like an older brother to me." Next, her finger trailed down to the last sentence, the part that she was sure sounded like something a lover would say. "We were kids when we asked our nanny what our names meant. Mine means joy. His means dark town, or dark village. He calls me 'his joy', and I call him 'my dark town'."

There were lots of things she left out, and many memories that she kept private. She wasn't happy with having to share a part of her that she cherished in such a blunt and meaningless manner, but she had no other choice. I hope it's enough for him, she thought, even as she outwardly said, "Believe me, there is nothing happening romantically between us."
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander)   The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander) EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 3:16 pm

The moment the name was given, Alexander was trying to place it. Though, he couldn't quite find the family name of this Colby boy and he wasn't sure if that was beneficial in this situation, or whether it made it worse. Pureblood though, so Alexander knew that there was, perhaps, nothing going on that he should be worried about.

Was he worrying? Possibly a little more than he should have.

The notion of Colby already being engaged was one that made the Slytherin nod slightly, showing he had heard the important part of the conversation, the part she'd meant for him to hear and pay attention to.

The notion of signing off with a question mark instead of their names confused him though, after letters, Alexander was quite sure the first thing he'd learned to spell was his name. Which was much more difficult than either Chara or Colby, so if he could do it, why couldn't they? He didn't ask though, deciding degrading the witch's learning was perhaps a little too far, even for him.

The explanation of the words that were something a little more than affectionate (or at least were to him as an outsider) made Alexander nod once more, taking in the information with an air of uncertainty. Colby was engaged, but still found it proper to do such things? Well, that was most certainly an interesting piece of information, if Alexander was being perfectly honest.

"Believe me, there is nothing happening romantically between us."

With a smirk that he simply couldn't help, Alexander leaned in to the witch a little bit, lowering his voice as if he were about to share a secret. "I never suggested there was." He told her softly, his tone hinting at teasing as he sat back. Of course he was smug, he'd once again played the game so very nicely that the witch beside him had spoken of her secrets so freely, with little to no effort at all.

Of course, it was very mean of him to do such things, but it also provided him with information. Useful information. In that she didn't want him to think there was someone else, which could be construed to mean that she very much wanted to be with him. The fact she was so eager to give up personal information such as her childhood friend and their secret method of conversation, showed that she wanted to trust him with things in her life she perhaps didn't tell other people. It was speculation, of course, but Alexander was sure there would be some truth in there.

There was another small pause, as Alexander allowed the witch a moment to collect her thoughts and rid herself of personal distaste for giving up so much so eagerly. "Tell me, do you believe that this day is necessary? The notion of love, love that is expressed on only one day of the year?" Alexander asked, wondering what she thought of the ludicrous ideologies.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander)   The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander) EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 3:37 pm

Watching him as she spoke betrayed no secrets of his, and he was as emotionless as the piece of paper she held, giving nothing for her to work off. If he thought she was lying, or if he understood was not clear - not clear in the least - and she bit back an impatient sigh. Well, there was nothing until she had finished, and then almost at once she realized she had, once again, been played.

The smirk on the face of the Slytherin was one she longed to remove, to wipe off somehow. But of course, she couldn't - how dare she even think such things? She was a Pureblood female, expected to behave at all times. That did not mean, however, that she always obeyed. Merlin forbid anyone see into her mind, for there were things there that no human should ever see. Yes, Chara may be a Pureblood on the outside, but in her mind, she was free to think and imagine all she liked.

"I never suggested there was."

Yes, you did! she wanted to shout. ..but did he? she asked herself moments later. And then, of course, began to internally asses everything. No, he didn't mention it once. But the way he looked at it.. at me.. He never said anything out loud but he did suggest it!.. Or did I read too much into something that wasn't there? In all honesty, if it had not been for years of training, she probably would have punched him - if not for playing her, simply to get that smirk off his face.

Her thoughts were interrupted when the boy again asked her something. Turning her attention back towards him, she just barely managed to hide her look of shock at the bluntness of what he asked. Always the questions that make me think, she mused, not trying to rush an answer. The last time she had done that, things had not turned out well. All she could do was hope he didn't mind waiting, but something told her that he didn't, as long as it produced an honest answer. It seemed honestly was very important to him.

So, it wasn't till about half a minute later that Chara finally shook her head. "No... and yes. I don't think that love should be expressed on one day of the year," she started, washing herself off the easy question first. "I believe that love should be shown every day, but not in ways that should be kept to private quarters. However..." Pausing to gather her thoughts, she smiled just a little as she continued with, "I do think that Valentine's Day is significant. I wouldn't say it is the most important day, but for some, it is a chance to appreciate their loved ones and show that they are deeply loved. It is the notion of giving something on this day itself that is the significance of things, and not the display of love one day a year."

Looking around at the hall, she smiled a little more. "In essence, I think that any special occasion is the same. We do not need Christmas or Birthdays to give presents, but it is the novelty in doing it. So no, I don't think it's necessary per se, but I do think it's something to cherish, if you have someone to cherish it with."
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander)   The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander) EmptySun Feb 22, 2015 11:27 am

Alexander sat quietly as Chara thought about it, taking the time to look around the hall. He didn't want the witch to be pressured in to an early answer that she didn't truly believe in. It was some time before the Hufflepuff answered, but the first sentence brought a wry smile to Alexander's lips.

A romantic, it seemed.

He was quite surprised to see the witch's cheeks didn't flush a soft crimson at the notion of love that required private settings. That, was perhaps the most shocking part of the whole speech in Alexander's opinion, but he wouldn't call her out on that. For that part, at least, he wasn't going to have a blushing airhead to deal with.

The answer as a whole was one of a satisfactory nature, and Alexander allowed the witch a small smile in response. Of course, in their world, love was a notion that didn't always happen. Rarely happened, in brutal honesty, there was just the notion of making an heir and then living apart for the rest of their lives together, only playing the part of a married couple of social occasions. Alexander had no illusions that the world was a happy place where everything worked out nicely, he was realistic.

"And what of love in the personal respect? Do you believe that you will find love? In a marriage you have little to no choice?" Alexander asked, his words as cryptic as they usually were, setting traps and testing the witch's resolve. To go for the learned answer or to give her honest opinion. Alexander liked to see it, and this time he watched her for a reaction, and as she thought about it. He wanted to see what she really thought, if he could.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander)   The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander) EmptySun Feb 22, 2015 12:12 pm

The smile that came her way made her relax just a little, because it meant that she had not done too bad a job; she had not screwed up this time. Or at least, she hoped it meant that she hadn't messed up. One could never really tell with Alexander, and Chara most definitely was not able to get a read on the boy. Still, it didn't seem as though he was upset with her, which was always a good sign, and she returned the smile with one of her own, soft and gentle, just like she was trained to do.

But moments later, she tensed again when the questions once again were presented. More inquiries that she was trained to answer, raised to be able to reply without hesitating, and yet she couldn't. Honesty was what the boy wanted, and it seemed that it would be the death of her. Technically it's the truth, because it's what my parents want, and I want what they want, she thought to herself wishfully, but knowing that a 'technically' true answer was not one that would please the Slytherin.

Chara was most definitely not a stupid person. Reminding herself that she needed to breathe, she did her best to keep her expression neutral as she thought about what to say. No, that wasn't right... She knew what she could say - it was how to say it that was the problem. Why always the hard questions? she complained internally. Is this really worth all the trouble he's putting me through? But the moment that thought entered her brain, she pushed it away. She could not afford to dwell on such dangerous topics.

It took her much longer than before, but a while later, she realized she couldn't stall any more. Turning to look Alexander straight in the eyes, she willed her expression to remain the same. "I truly don't know. Love is not something I believe will come for me, but one can never tell. I have heard of Pureblood weddings where love was learnt and grown, but I do not expect that."

Again looking around the hall, at the owls that were still delivering love letters and presents, she turned back to meet Alex's eyes before continuing with, "I think almost every female dreams of finding love, but dreams and reality are often on two separate spectrums. I don't have any expectations for my personal romantic life, because it won't do my any good. Instead, I focus on what I can bring to my future husband, whoever that may be. There may not be love as some others may call it, but I will be faithful to him, and love him as much as I can, without expecting anything in return, except what is expected of him as head of our family."

Stopping herself there, she lowered her gaze, hoping with all she had that she had not said something wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander)   The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander) Empty

Back to top Go down

The Day of "Love" (Chara & Alexander)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next