Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Day AU Harry Potter Roleplay Site for Original Characters

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
OOC Shoutbox
Current Plot
September 2028

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 108 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am
Latest topics
» .The Wonder Years - Blue - June, 2009 (Alexagramma)
School Shopping (open) Emptyby Annagramma Hawkeye Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:48 pm

» The Wonder Years - Red - May, 2008 (Alexagramma)
School Shopping (open) Emptyby Annagramma Hawkeye Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:48 pm

» Fly on the wings of fondness (JacZalea)
School Shopping (open) Emptyby Jacques Clement Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:49 pm

» If only I, could make a deal with God
School Shopping (open) Emptyby The Administrator Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:33 pm

» When it Rains, It Pours ((Open))
School Shopping (open) Emptyby The Administrator Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:32 pm

Unanswered Open Threads
None!
IC Chatbox

School Shopping (open)

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

School Shopping (open) Empty
PostSubject: School Shopping (open)   School Shopping (open) EmptyTue Aug 01, 2017 9:41 pm

Having received a Hogwarts acceptance letter on her eleventh birthday, Mercy was practically bursting with excitement, unable to wait for the coming school year. She still had to wait an entire summer before she could actually go, but her letter had come with a shopping list, so there was one thing she could do right now. Since her mother had already planned to visit her parents in London this week, she figured she may as well bring Mercy along and stop at Diagon Alley while they were there. After a quick stop at Gringotts, the impatient girl dragged her mother straight to Ollivanders wand shop. She didn't really care about anything else.

Entering the old, dusty shop with a grin, Mercy gazed at all the boxes of wands, one of which would soon be hers. She bounced lightly on her toes, unable to keep still. After a few moments, Mr. Ollivander greeted her. She payed very little attention to the short conversation the man had with her mother, but snapped quickly into focus when he disappeared and came back with several boxes. He handed her a wand.

"Sycamore and unicorn hair, thirteen inches, slightly bendy," he informed her. "Give it a wave."

She swished it rather flamboyantly. With a sharp crack and a clatter, a nearby shelf collapsed. The wand was snatched from her grasp and replaced with another one.

"Holly and unicorn hair, eleven and a half inches, brittle."

Another swish, the sound of shattering glass, and again the wand was replaced.

"Yew and phoenix feather."

Boxes flew off their shelves and crashed to the floor.

"Ebony and dragon heartstring."

A strong gust of wind knocked over a tall ladder with a bang.

"Hmm, I think we're getting closer." Mr. Ollivander strode contemplatively over to a shelf and pulled out another box. "Try this. Ebony and phoenix feather, twelve and a half inches. Unyielding."

Even before she touched it, Mercy knew it felt right. The polished black wood gleamed, and, though it was relatively simple and unadorned, she thought it was beautiful. She took it gingerly, the weight feeling almost familiar in her hand, and gave it a wave. Gold sparks shot out of the tip.

Five minutes later, it was hers, and she was walking out of the shop. She beamed as she held her new wand aloft and stepped out into the street, her mother in tow. Her mother handed her a bag of coins, and told her to go to Madam Malkin's to get fitted for robes, while she went to Flourish and Blott's. They'd meet up at the ice cream shop in half an hour. Mercy, still admiring her new wand, began to wander down the street.
Back to top Go down
Mimosa Harrington
Hogwarts Head Girl
Hogwarts Head Girl
Mimosa Harrington

Birthday : 2013-08-13

PostSubject: Re: School Shopping (open)   School Shopping (open) EmptyWed Aug 02, 2017 7:02 am

"And the last thing on our list was?" the photographer asked intentionally, making the little girl beside him squealed with joy at the fact that her grandfather had not forgotten.

"A dress, a dress!" Mimosa exclaimed in a high pitched voice, almost skipping as she walked with Kit Harrington, one small hand safely encased in his much larger one. As it had turned out, there were more delays in the trip and the Harringtons had had to extend their "working holiday" by a week more. This time however, Kit knew how to do it right.

The very next day, Mimosa had been taken all around Muggle London. they had seen two shows full of talking animals and princesses who could do ice magic, they had sat on a really big round moving wheel and she had seen all of the city from it, they'd even gone to King Cross Station and crossed to the small wizarding shops and stands hidden around the place just like platform nine and three quarters. Overall, the child had had the time of her life, quite forgetting how sad she had been at the initial thought of not seeing Clara for a week more.

After their fun filled day, Kit had sat her down and very seriously negotiated the terms for the rest of their stay. How about they both make a list of all the things they wanted to do in England and then divide the rest of their days in the country into working down that list. Mimosa had immediately agreed, putting things like "getting a new dress" and "buying souvenirs" while Kit had compiled a much more boring list of people he had to meet and permits he had to apply for to shoot his next big venture.

They had split the days evenly. one day he would go och to do adult things while she stayed at the hotel with a supervisor, the next they would go out together working through her list. They were now in Diagon Alley squaring away the new dress part.

"That's right kiddo, and no better place then Madam Malkin's. Why don't you go on ahead and look at the dresses, try some on if you like and I'll catch up?" he suggested but Mimosa barely heard him. The little witch was off, nearly skipping towards the large shop front, her feet encased safely in thick, knee length boots. The little witch reached the shop looking the perfect tourist with her expensively styled jeans skirt and top, the American flag flying proudly on the back of her jean jacket.

Reaching the shop, the girl peered in through the window, her radiant smile giving way to an expression of confusion as she saw a line of people trying on the same black robes. Was this some new fashion trend? Mimosa didn't like it very much if it was.

"Hello," she greeted a girl who was about to the enter the shop too."Do you know why everyone is trying on those black dress things?" she asked, looking up at the other girl who was only a little bit taller than her.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: School Shopping (open)   School Shopping (open) EmptyThu Aug 03, 2017 8:18 am

Mercy turned to see a girl maybe a couple years younger than her. She was pretty. And American. She peered into the shop that she was about to enter, trying to see what "black dress things" the other girl was talking about.

"Oh, I think those are Hogwarts robes. I'm supposed to be getting mine today too, that's why I'm here." She paused for a second, then, "What are you here for? You're not old enough for Hogwarts, are you?"

As they entered the shop, Mercy realized she was going to have to wait in line. Ugh, she groaned inwardly. She wanted to get this over with so she could get ice cream. There were still four people who had to go before her, and she hated waiting.

She turned to the girl beside her. "I think all of the attendants are busy. Do you want to go explore the shop? There's a bunch of cloth and stuff to look at."

She wasn't really interested in cloth, but she needed some way to pass the time, and fabric offered a tactile experience that was just appealing enough to draw her in. Plus, if the other girl came with her, she might make a new friend while she waited, and that was always fun.
Back to top Go down
Mimosa Harrington
Hogwarts Head Girl
Hogwarts Head Girl
Mimosa Harrington

PostSubject: Re: School Shopping (open)   School Shopping (open) EmptyFri Aug 04, 2017 3:01 am

The older girl's response only served to confuse Mimosa more. "What'a a Hogwarts?" the long haired brunette asked, confusion writ clear across her smooth, doll like features. "And why do they only wear black there?" Having grown up in America and as a model no less, Mimosa couldn't imagine a life more drab than one where you had to wear black all the time.

"I'm just here to get a new dress," she explained happily when asked for the purpose of her own visit. "My grandpa said I could get a new dress so he sent me to look ahead and see if I like anything. But I'm not sure, do they have other colors?" she asked curiously, her blue eyes taking in the older witch.

"I think all of the attendants are busy. Do you want to go explore the shop? There's a bunch of cloth and stuff to look at."

"Oh that sounds fun!" the little girl exclaimed, following this new person into the shop. Perhaps the trip wasn't a waste after all. "I'm Mimosa by the way. Mimosa Harrington. I live in America but I'm here with my grandpa for a "working holiday", it means we have fun but he also has to work. What's your name?"

The chatter came out quickly and excitedly in usual Mimosa fashion, glad that she had finally bumped into someone her own age in this foreign land. Mimosa had met quite a few people on her trip but they had all been grown ups. Now she had a chance to speak to someone who made more sense. Finally!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: School Shopping (open)   School Shopping (open) EmptyFri Aug 04, 2017 4:59 am

Mercy couldn't believe the other girl hadn't heard of Hogwarts. "It's only the best magic school in the world!" she exclaimed. "My mam went there when she was my age, and I'm going in September. I think the black is just a base until you get your house, and then part of it changes to your house color. Mam was a Hufflepuff, so she wore yellow."

At the other girl's answer to her first question, Mercy made a face. "I don't really like dresses, it's hard to run in them."

The two girls wandered further into the shop, toward the selection of fabrics in the back.

"I'm Mercy, Mercy Williams. I've never been to America, what's it like? I live in Ireland, but Paw Paw and Gong Gong live in London, so Mam and I are visiting them while we get school supplies."
Back to top Go down
Mimosa Harrington
Hogwarts Head Girl
Hogwarts Head Girl
Mimosa Harrington

PostSubject: Re: School Shopping (open)   School Shopping (open) EmptyFri Aug 04, 2017 6:04 am

"The... best school?" Mimosa repeated, once again caught off guard by so many opinions on schools across the world. She had always been raised with the notion of going to Salem which was the best school. Then that weird almost grown up man had said the liver money school was the best. And now there was a whole new school to think about. For a moment, the child found herself wishing that her new friend Victoria was here. She would be explain to explain why everyone couldn't agree on simple things like which was the best color in the world, the food, the best country and the best magical school.

"What's a huffl'n'puff?" she asked as they made their way deeper into the shop where all the pretty fabrics were laid out. Upon the revelation that her new friend was from Ireland, Mimosa let out a small squeal. "Oh, I've seen pictures of Ireland, it looks really really green and pretty. I live in a place called Californya. It's not as green."

They had reached the fabrics section proper by now, making the girl's eyes light up. The shop didn't just sell back robes after all. "America is big, but I live by the beach so its all brown and white and the streets are like Diagon Alley," she explained, gesturing to the cobbled path outside the shop window.

The idea of not liking dresses was a strange one but she supposed it was okay. Men didn't wear dresses either so Mercy shouldn't have to. "I'm not allowed to run," Mimosa confessed to the older witch, running her fingers across a bright green material.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: School Shopping (open)   School Shopping (open) EmptyFri Aug 04, 2017 4:40 pm

"Hufflepuff is one of the four Hogwarts houses. There's Hufflepuff, Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Mam says I'll be a Gryffindor," Mercy explained, as she picked up a bright red fabric. She listened attentively to Mimosa's description of America, nodding her head. She'd seen pictures of California beaches--they were always so pretty, with palm trees and everything. She'd like to go there one day.

At Mimosa's latest revelation, Mercy stopped what she was doing and turned to her with wide eyes. "What do you mean you're not allowed to run? Who stops you? How do you have fun?"

She couldn't fathom it. Mercy ran almost everywhere she went. How could someone stop a person from running? Anyone who imposed such awful restrictions must be a very mean person indeed. To her, no running was the same as no freedom. It meant being stuck in your house all day with nothing to do. How did Mimosa survive?
Back to top Go down
Mimosa Harrington
Hogwarts Head Girl
Hogwarts Head Girl
Mimosa Harrington

PostSubject: Re: School Shopping (open)   School Shopping (open) EmptySat Aug 05, 2017 1:45 am

The little witch really did try her best to keep up. So many new names. Gryff'n'door, Huff'n'puff, Raven's claw and Sly- Slymerine, no Slythering, something. She would have to go back and repeat the words over to fully understand. But it looked like the more serious of ehr concerns was not a factor anymore. From the way Mercy was describing it, sounded like you got to choose your house and therefore, the color of your uniform. There wouldn't be black robes everywhere at least.

"I'm just not," Mimosa confided, a little embarrassed at having told the girl now. "I fall down a lot, and when I do Grandpa has to take me to the doctors. He says I won't fall if I don't run so i try not to run." The almost nine year old was explaining her condition in the only terms she knew how to. Despite how well Kit and Clara kept the fact hidden, the child did have an inkling that her illness was a little different from other children. She had seen other children fall down and get back up whereas she had to endure bruises, prolonged pain and trips to thr hospital should she fall in a similar manner. Luckily, she was young enough to put it down to a normal oddity.

"You should come visit us in Californya," the young brunette offered, changing the subject from her lack of running to a more manageable track. "We live right on the beach so we can go swimming whenever. We also have a pool if you don't like the sea."

Picking up a spool of pale blue fabric, she held it up against Mercy's shoulder, considering the color seriously bf roe she spoke. "i think this looks good on you."
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: School Shopping (open)   School Shopping (open) EmptySat Aug 05, 2017 4:41 am

Mercy wasn't quite satisfied with the girl's explanation--after all, she fell down a lot too, that was all part of the fun--but she didn't push it. If Mimosa didn't mind not running, that was her own decision, weird though it may be. Instead she listened to the other girl's offer, smiling at the thought, but shrugging.

"Dad says traveling's expensive, so we don't do it too often. I'd like that though, California sounds nice."

As Mimosa held up the light blue fabric, Mercy rubbed it between her fingers. "It's soft, I like it. The blue looks better on you though, it matches your eyes. Mam says dark features go well with deep colors like red, which is good, 'cause I like red. And Gryffindor's colors are red and gold. But I like blue too, it's pretty. I never really pay much attention to the colors I'm wearing, as long as my clothes are comfortable."

She picked up a spool of cream coloured cloth with an olive green pattern stitched into it. She didn't really know much about fashion, but she pursed her lips like she was seriously considering something, then nodded and said, "This would look good with your complexion."
Back to top Go down
Mimosa Harrington
Hogwarts Head Girl
Hogwarts Head Girl
Mimosa Harrington

PostSubject: Re: School Shopping (open)   School Shopping (open) EmptySun Aug 06, 2017 6:45 am

Mimosa understood the word "expensive" like she understood the inner workings of the U.S government. She knew it was a thing that existed, and it was important in some vague way, shape or form but when it came down to it, the young witch had not the slightest clue what it did and how it impacted others. However, it would be embarrassing to admit that in front of her new friend so the child made no comment.

"But I already have lots of blue dresses," she explained to Mercy, guiding the older girl to the floor length mirror so she could see the fabric on her. Even if Mercy didn't like dresses, she may like just one. "Here, i have an idea, maybe you'll like it better if you see it made in a pretty style," she offered, leaving the girl for a minute and picking out a sample book. Opening it to a page she liked, she showed it to the short haired girl.

"Here, this blue fabric made into this design will look really pretty on you," she offered. Mercy seemed really nice, Mimosa wanted to do something nice for the girl too.

"I have to pay a lot of attention to what I'm wearing at work," Mimosa admitted, letting Mercy get a feel for the fabric and design. "Well, the designers more than me but I want to help so I stand as still as possible while they do the pins and buttons and stuff. It's really boring but if I do a good job, I get to pick out my favorites to bring back home."

When Mercy held up the fabric she had chosen for her, the girl contemplated it seriously. She didn't have a dress in that color, and if Mercy's mom said it would suit her, then it probably would. Moms usually knew everything. "I don't have a mom but I have a Clara, she usually helps me chose, and I think she'd like this too," the child agreed with a smile, warming up to the pattern.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: School Shopping (open)   School Shopping (open) Empty

Back to top Go down

School Shopping (open)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next