Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Day AU Harry Potter Roleplay Site for Original Characters

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
OOC Shoutbox
Current Plot
September 2028

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 108 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am
Latest topics
» Election Night (Tessa)
New Faces (Open) Emptyby Tessa Greene Yesterday at 2:07 am

» The Awakening - Purple - February, 2010 (Alexagramma)
New Faces (Open) Emptyby Annagramma Hawkeye Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:13 pm

» 100 Word Tag Drabble Challenge
New Faces (Open) Emptyby Mimosa Harrington Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:34 pm

» Alexander Quinn
New Faces (Open) Emptyby Alexander Quinn Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:50 pm

» Chester Millstone
New Faces (Open) Emptyby Chester Millstone Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:45 pm

Unanswered Open Threads
None!
IC Chatbox

New Faces (Open)

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

New Faces (Open) Empty
PostSubject: New Faces (Open)   New Faces (Open) EmptySat Sep 16, 2017 1:46 am

Kenny's move to England was going smoothly. He was doing well enough in his studies, familiarizing himself with the area, and slowly adding depth to his new character. So far, he was quite pleased with himself. But Scott didn't feel quite "lived in" enough. Not as natural as he should be. Kenny was still getting used to him.

Of course, the best way to develop a character was to put him in new situations--and where better to do that than in a muggle bar? He loved places like these, they were the best and most convenient places to people watch and explore new characters. He'd been to his fair share of American bars, though he was only nineteen. Fake ID's were second nature to him. But here in England, he was actually there legally, for once in his life. Of course, his ID was still technically fake, but hey.

It was an easy decision, coming here. Low stakes, as he'd most likely never see any of these people again, plus a chance to get a feel for London, as he hadn't really explored the city yet, and one of the easiest ways to meet all sorts of new people. He swung open the door, confidently striding to the bar, and nimbly whipping off his scarf, draping it loosely over his shoulders for a more laid-back look as he took a seat. He crossed his legs casually and leaned forward with his elbows on the bar, discreetly glancing around the room and taking stock of the area.

The room was fairly busy--it was a Saturday night, after all--and it had a cheery vibe. Nothing too upscale, but certainly not a dump either. Perfect. A bartender approached him.

"What can I do for you, mate?" the man said jovially. He looked to be in his early thirties. Scott shot him a friendly grin and considered for a moment.

"You wouldn't happen to serve Long Island Ice Tea, would you? I've always wanted to try that."

The bartender gave him a light-hearted but suspicious look, and asked to see his identification.

"I'll take that as a compliment," he said with a relaxed smile, digging out his wallet. The man seemed satisfied, and he returned it to the pocket of his fashionable new coat, which he'd bought on a whim three hours ago. As the bartender got to work on his drink, he leaned back in his seat and observed the other patrons with some interest.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

New Faces (Open) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Faces (Open)   New Faces (Open) EmptySun Sep 17, 2017 7:33 pm

Michelle had been given the pleasure of working on the floor that night which was why she was dressed in a short black dress and six inch heels with her hair done in messy curls, falling around her shoulders.

She was waiting on the tables that were scattered around the bar as well as just generally chatting with some of the people there; she liked changes of pace like this once in a while where she was among the customers and not standing behind the bar. Her feet hurt from walking in the heels but the smile on her lips and the pleasant look on her face showed nothing of that.

Unlike most bars, where she would probably have ended up being stared at like some meat, this one had a policy on not making the female workers uncomfortable. You could look all you want but not in such an obvious way that they became uncomfortable.

Wiping down one of the tables, Michelle gave a soft sigh as she slipped one of her shoes off and rubbed her calf, grimacing slightly at the pain shooting up her leg. Discreetly she transfigured her shoes into flats, deciding that she had enough of walking on heels for the night if anyone questioned she'd just say that she went into the back and changed into the flats.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

New Faces (Open) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Faces (Open)   New Faces (Open) EmptyMon Sep 18, 2017 1:01 am

As Kenny surveyed the room, a waitress caught his eye. She'd paused while wiping down a table and bent down, magicking the heels off of her shoes. His eyebrows shot up at the sight. A witch waiting tables in a muggle bar? That was unexpected, and fascinating enough to grab his attention. So far, he'd seen no better candidates for conversation, so after he paid for his drink, he stood and ambled across the room, slowly winding his way through people, occasionally sending a friendly greeting as he passed. He did not move purposefully, but he eventually approached the young woman and glanced around to make sure no one was listening.

Casually leaning against a nearby empty table, he took a sip of his drink. He coughed and grimaced slightly. He hated vodka.

"Lucky how people tend to explain away things that they don't understand," he started, looking out at the floor, his glass hovering near his lips, which curled upward in an amused half-smile. "Heels to flats? Must be a trick of the eyes."

He turned to face the waitress and whispered conspiratorially. "Never hurts to be more careful though. I imagine a lot of people are looking at you." His eyes sparkled playfully, his relaxed posture conveying that he wasn't entirely serious. "Wish guys would look at me like that," he sighed wistfully, nodding toward a twenty-something across the room who quickly averted his gaze.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

New Faces (Open) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Faces (Open)   New Faces (Open) EmptyMon Sep 18, 2017 2:01 am

Michelle paused in her cleaning the tables when the voice filtered through the bustle of the customers in the bar, her eyes turning to acknowledge the man who had approached her; he was a fairly good-looking male and clearly a magical if he had caught her little bit of magick, not to mention she could clearly feel the magic emitting from him.

"Lucky how people are so drunk here they can't tell their own hand from someone else's." She said quite casually as she wiped the next table, her attention focused on the guy next to her even though she was doing her usual duties.

"I'm always careful, you're just more observant the usual person." She replied with a smirk on her lips as her eyes raked over the guy before flicking over to the guy who looked away in embarrassment at clearly being caught out on watching them. "Being watched like some meat-sack isn't something I'm exactly flattered about." She sniffed a small smirk on her lips conveying that she was clearly joking, even if it was partly true. As long as guys didn't look at her like some type of whore she didn't mind the looks.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

New Faces (Open) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Faces (Open)   New Faces (Open) EmptyMon Sep 18, 2017 3:59 am

Kenny laughed easily at the woman's comment, and shrugged when she called him observant. "I've only been in England for a few weeks, I spend a lot of time trying to take everything in. And it helps that I'm not drunk yet," he grinned.

He nodded at her final statement. "It is kinda creepy. And probably a little dehumanizing. To be honest, I think I'd just appreciate it because it's a rare experience for me, and I could always use the ego boost. But you probably don't need one, since I'm sure you get this a lot. Once the novelty wears off, I see how it could get tiring."

He wasn't flirting. Though Kenny could see she really was quite pretty, Scott just wanted a friendly chat. He couldn't help but think of what his previous personas would have done in this situation. Todd would be laying it on thick by this point. Daniel would be a little more subtle. Drew would quietly ogle before awkwardly introducing himself. But Scott couldn't care less about the attractive young witch, so Kenny turned his attention elsewhere.

He took another small sip from his glass. He pulled a face, but he was getting used to it, so it wasn't as bad as the first taste. He swirled the light brown liquid around in his cup a little bit. "So, how'd you end up here? I thought wizards and No-Maj's--sorry, muggles--tended to keep separate. Statute of Secrecy and all that."
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

New Faces (Open) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Faces (Open)   New Faces (Open) EmptyMon Sep 18, 2017 1:13 pm

"If you were drunk I would be surprised because I had never seen such a coherent drunk." Michelle replied dryly with an amused snort leaving her lips as she finished the wiping down of the tables and just leant one hip against it to continue her conversation with the man.

"I don't mind it if it's subtle and just to admire my physique but if someone looks at me like I'm something to be eaten then I will have a problem with them." She muttered, her eyes narrowed slightly as she thought on one occasion where her boss had to literally hold her back from attacking one of the guys who had decided to be a dick and had gotten too handsy with her and very insulting, it had led him to being thrown out and banned from the bar but not before Michelle had actually gotten a punch in.

The question made her stop her perusal of the bar and instead she focused her eyes on the male she was chatting with and for a few minutes, there was only silence before she answered the question. "I rebelled against my mother. The annoying harpy that she is wanted me to be a pretty housewife that could secure a marriage and alliance with a wealthy wizard for her. I wanted to be free. My father and oldest brother helped me escape France with my quarter of my families inheritance. And now here I am, living in good old England and loving it."

"And you? What are you doing here in England?" She questioned. "From your slip and slight accent I can guess you're from America."
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

New Faces (Open) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Faces (Open)   New Faces (Open) EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 1:43 am

As she commented on how he didn't seem drunk, Kenny winked and shot the woman a silly grin, then took a big gulp of his Long Island Iced Tea. It burned going down, and his eyes watered. He doubled over, spluttering and coughing. It was a bad idea, but something Scott would do, so he made a show of righting himself, lightly pounding his chest and making a face as he gagged.

"Ugh," he said as he recovered, wiping his teary eyes on his sleeve. "That was a mistake. I'll stick with not being drunk for now."

He nodded his understanding at the waitress's clarification. "I don't really know you, but I have a feeling I wouldn't want to get on your bad side."

He listened intently to the woman's story, filing it away. It revealed quite a bit about her--her motivations, her background. She came from a wealthy family. She was French. She had a bad relationship with her mother, but a decent one with her father and at least one of her brothers, of which she had two, possibly three--she said her inheritance was split in quarters, so she had three siblings, and she had to specify "oldest" brother, which meant there was at least one other brother. She didn't want to settle down, looked down a bit on high society, and had a feminist view of the world.

Those were the kinds of things he liked to know, that helped him understand how people worked. The kinds of things he could use to manipulate people, subtly, if he needed to. Not that he often went in with that intention, but sometimes it was just fun to see what he could get away with making people do or believe. The witch before him seemed strong-willed and shrewd--definitely willing to stand up for herself, and therefore, not easily manipulated. He briefly considered rising to the challenge, but decided he wasn't close enough to her to have much effect. Still, if he saw a good opportunity, he'd consider it.

For the moment, he contented himself with getting to know her, and building trust. She had shared with him, now it was his turn--or Scott's, anyway.

He confirmed her observation with a smile and a nod. "Yup. Jersey, born and raised. I came here to study at UEWW. Transfiguration Major, though I have no idea what I'll do with it," he chuckled. "Teach, maybe. You wouldn't happen to know of any high-paying jobs that require a Transfiguration degree, would you?"
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

New Faces (Open) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Faces (Open)   New Faces (Open) EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 2:10 am

An unladylike snort left her lips as she watched the male down his drink as if he was a thirsty man who only just got to his oasis. It had always been amusing to the blond-haired witch how guys tried to down their drinks in one go; mixes like his weren't meant to be downed but savoured over the course of a few minutes if not half an hour.

"And that's why you do not drown drinks." She commented dryly with a wry smirk on her lips as she watched the man with curiosity, clearly filing away her own thoughts about the other. She had a feeling that she would be seeing this man many more times than just this once.

"Believe me, everyone shares your view." She shot him a shark-like smirk, clearly enjoying the fact that he thought that she wasn't to be messed with. It's not that she was dangerous, even though she could be, it was the pure fact that she wasn't afraid to actually stand up for herself and bite back when someone was pissing her off. It was the reason her mother and her other two brothers hated her; they were of the belief that a woman shouldn't be heard and that she was only good for looking pretty on someone's arm.

"UEWW?" Her brow slowly arched at that; to get accepted there you certainly had to have some high qualifications. "You must be good to have gotten accepted there." She murmured softly as she tapped her fingers against the polished wood of the table, unconsciously tapping away to the sounds of the music.

"As far as I know, Hogwarts, the magical school here in England, is still looking for a Transfiguration Professor on a permanent basis."
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

New Faces (Open) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Faces (Open)   New Faces (Open) EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 8:47 am

"Ah, well," he shrugged bashfully, brushing off the compliment with a modest smile. "They probably have low standards for dumb Americans. Transfiguration's all I've got, really, I'm kind of shit at most other things."

"Really?" He perked up at her answer. "Hm...that sounds promising, actually. I'll look into it, if the post is still open in three years." It was probably unlikely, but if it was...he actually might consider it. He hadn't given much thought to his plan after university, but he did need some way of making a living.

Teaching would certainly have its perks--he'd have the freedom and power to mix things up if he got bored with what he was doing, and he'd be able to interact with quite a few different people every day. It would be a new experience, interacting with students from that point of view--and he was all for new points of view. He'd never been an authority figure before. In fact, the more he thought about it, the more fun it seemed. He wondered if he would do it as Scott, or create a different character--a new identity would probably be easy enough at a British wizarding school that he'd never been to. They wouldn't have heard of him. But then again, he was getting his degree under the name Scott Morrison, and they'd probably do a background check. He could always keep the name and change the character if he wanted to...

He shook himself from his thoughts. It was too early to plan for a future that may or may not even be possible. But he did file it away for future reference.

"How about you? Any big plans for the future? I don't imagine you'd want to work in a bar for the rest of your life."
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

New Faces (Open) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Faces (Open)   New Faces (Open) EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 5:31 pm

"Low standards? UEWW?" Michelle couldn't help the incredulous tone that filtered through her voice as she stared at Scott, her brow arched and her lips parted open in surprise. "If UEWW has low standards then I am a Muggleborn. Believe me when I say the University doesn't have low standards. It's hard to get in."

"It probably will be, for the past few years they hadn't found a Transfiguration Professor, or so I heard from some folks down in Hogsmeade when I went to visit." The blond-haired witch rubbed her forehead, a headache slowly forming from the loud music in the bar and even though she was used to the low pounding in her temples, it didn't get any better over time.

"I'm a bit of an all-rounder really," Michelle said with a laugh as she rubbed the back of her head with a sheepish look on her face. "Potions, Ancient Runes, Languages, Sports, Business... I'm... a scholar at heart and I love learning about everything and anything and I do like having a good time as well. I don't really have anything specific planned for the future."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Faces (Open) Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Faces (Open)   New Faces (Open) Empty

Back to top Go down

New Faces (Open)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next