Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Day AU Harry Potter Roleplay Site for Original Characters

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
OOC Shoutbox
Current Plot
September 2028

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 108 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am
Latest topics
» The Wonder Years - Yellow - December, 2009 (Alexagramma)
How Will I Catch Up?! {Jake} Emptyby Annagramma Hawkeye Yesterday at 5:21 pm

» 100 Word Tag Drabble Challenge
How Will I Catch Up?! {Jake} Emptyby Mimosa Harrington Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:38 pm

» .The Wonder Years - Blue - June, 2009 (Alexagramma)
How Will I Catch Up?! {Jake} Emptyby Alexander Quinn Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:41 pm

» The Wonder Years - Red - May, 2008 (Alexagramma)
How Will I Catch Up?! {Jake} Emptyby Annagramma Hawkeye Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:48 pm

» Fly on the wings of fondness (JacZalea)
How Will I Catch Up?! {Jake} Emptyby Jacques Clement Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:49 pm

Unanswered Open Threads
None!
IC Chatbox

How Will I Catch Up?! {Jake}

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

How Will I Catch Up?! {Jake} Empty
PostSubject: How Will I Catch Up?! {Jake}   How Will I Catch Up?! {Jake} EmptyTue Mar 06, 2018 10:00 pm

Janet groaned, frustrated by her studying. Nothing seemed to make sense, which in turn didn't make sense considering she was usually pretty good with her DADA studies. Today, however, her brain didn't seem to want to work, probably from lack of sleep. She tried the spell once more and failed again before she yelled in frustration and threw the book across the empty classroom she practiced in.

She shook her head, taking a deep breath in to calm herself before releasing it slowly. The only thing left to do was get help. While the young witch didn't particularly want to admit she needed help, she knew she obviously couldn't do it on her own. She sighed and crossed the room to pick her book back up, closing it carefully and putting it back in her bag before considering who she could go to for help. Her first thought was Clara or Nerisei, but she knew they each had their own homework and studying to do, especially with exams coming up.

That left Janet with one last choice. She had to go to her professor. She cringed at the thought. Going to a teacher for help? It wasn't anything to do with the specific teacher. Jake Newbury was one of her cooler professors, and she knew he would be ok with helping her with whatever she needed. The only problem was Janet herself, she always felt like going to a professor for help defeated the purpose of learning, and discovering things for yourself.

But, she told herself as she grabbed her bag and began on her way to the DADA classroom, all the other students got to learn from him in lessons. You weren't here for most of the lessons, so it makes sense you would need a teacher's help. She sighed and had to admit that was true.

A few minutes later she was standing in the DADA classroom doorway. She knocked on the door. "Professor Newbury? Do you have a moment?"
Back to top Go down
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

Birthday : 1992-08-13
Job/hobbies : Auror & DADA Professor

PostSubject: Re: How Will I Catch Up?! {Jake}   How Will I Catch Up?! {Jake} EmptyMon Mar 12, 2018 8:04 pm

Jake was going over the lesson plan he'd drawn up for the older years in the final week before the exams. The exams were external, so Jake had no idea what was going to come up on the test, all he could do was hope that he could cover the syllabus with enough attention to each bit to get the students through. Of course, they would have to practice in their own time, read up on the subject, and around it, and inevitably, the final part was down to them.

But, Jake was not going to allow any of them to fall back on the idea they 'hadn't been taught' the subject in the exam.

This was the one part of the job that Jake had never enjoyed. The planning. It was so hard trying to cater to the needs of a variety of students, and even after twelve years of teaching, Jake didn't feel he was any better at it. Maybe he was, but in his own head, Jake hadn't become much better at this job over the years.

He was pulled from the reverie, though, when there came a knock at the door, and almost instantly, Jake called out. "Come in!" to the person who'd knocked, looking up as his hand, momentarily, rested on his wand out of habit. It moved away the moment the person made themselves known, though, and Jake smiled at the emergence of Janet Shinings.

"Of course, though, Jake is just fine, no need for formalities." Jake insisted, motioning for her to take the chair that had just moved itself from the side of the room to rest opposite Jake's desk. "How can I help?" He asked, looking hopeful in the prospect of being able to help the witch with whatever problem she might have.

~ Auror ~ Profile ~ DADA Professor ~
~ In a Relationship ~ 36 ~ Father ~ 6' ~ American Accent ~
How Will I Catch Up?! {Jake} Rsz_1j10
Back to top Go down
https://hogwartsandbeyond.forumotion.co.uk
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: How Will I Catch Up?! {Jake}   How Will I Catch Up?! {Jake} EmptyMon Mar 12, 2018 9:36 pm

She opened the doorway gingerly, a hesitant smile on her face as she stepped into the room. She nodded as he spoke, having forgotten he preferred his first name to be used. "Yes sir," she hoped that wouldn't be considered a formality, she wasn't really used to calling adults anything else.

He motioned to a chair that he moved so she could sit across from him. "Thank you." she walked over and stood behind it, but didn't sit. She felt too stressed at the moment and wasn't sure if he would have enough time to help her. It seemed he had been busy and if he was going to send her on her way she would rather stand and be ready to leave.

"As you know I wasn't here for most of this year." She pursed her lips at this and forced herself not to dwell on that. "And I missed most of your lessons. As a result of this, I'm rather behind in studying for exams and I don't know where to start. I'm doing my best to study as well as I can, but I'm not sure what all was covered and none of it makes sense to me."

She sighed. "There's just a lot to cover and I don't know what to do. I was wondering if you could help me in any way? Maybe there are some notes from your lessons, or you could tell me what you covered, or anything really. I know you're probably really busy but I'm just lost and really can't fail these exams." She looked at him hopefully, though she made sure not to be too hopeful, for she wouldn't want to come crashing down if he said no.
Back to top Go down
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

PostSubject: Re: How Will I Catch Up?! {Jake}   How Will I Catch Up?! {Jake} EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 4:22 pm

The seat that was offered wasn't taken, but Jake passed no comment upon such things. Instead he simply took that information on board, noting that the witch was, perhaps, a little too stressed to sit. It was understandable in the older years, the fifth and seventh years had their real exams, and the sixth years were sitting their mocks for the next year.

Janet fell in to the latter, and though a pass in these exams was not a requirement to move on to her seventh year, they did hold a lot of weight in the next year, and the decisions that came with continuing on with the courses she'd chosen. Defence seemed to be one she wished to continue on with, given the way she was talking, and Jake nodded along as she spoke, showing he understood what she was saying and considering the options.

"Well, I would return the question to you. What is it that you want from me? If you tell me what you need, I can work to more specifics, rather than the list of options you just presented." Jake asked softly, not trying to make her feel silly, but trying to set her obviously muddled mind in to something more of a coherent thought than it was currently producing.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: How Will I Catch Up?! {Jake}   How Will I Catch Up?! {Jake} EmptyThu Mar 29, 2018 4:10 am

"What is it that you want from me?"

The question surprised the young witch. Se had expected him to tell her exactly what was required of her or to offer a way himself. In her mind, most teachers would have taken control of the situation, offering their own solution to the problem, rather than returning the question onto her. She thought about it a moment, her mind seeming to not really want to focus.

"Well, I suppose first I need to know what all you covered this year?" She thought about it some more, hesitant to say even that much and even more so to ask for anything more. "I was able to attend your last lesson but didn't get much of the information from the start of the year. Really, I suppose I first need to just figure out what I need to actually learn. I already studied some of the material in my book, so I learned some of it through practice, but I'm not sure I studied the right things, and I'm not sure I would be able to master the entire book before our mock exams, which I would like to be able to pass if possible."
Back to top Go down
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

PostSubject: Re: How Will I Catch Up?! {Jake}   How Will I Catch Up?! {Jake} EmptySun Apr 01, 2018 10:44 am

The explanation of what the witch wanted -- Jake didn't really want to give her everything on a plate, after all you didn't learn from hand outs -- made the Defence Against the Dark Arts professor nod with a small smile. "Very well, I can give you a copy of my lesson plans..." Jake explained, moving to his drawer to find the small ring binder folder that held the plastic wallets with his lessons within them.

The folder was not of his own making, Victoria had seen the mess of system he had, and after denoting that this was not acceptable, his younger sister had put it in neat sections for the term in which they related, and which year.

"Okay, here we go..." Jake said, pulling out the information they'd covered. "As the exams for sixth years are only internal exams... I can give you a hint. What we've covered in class... will probably come up." Jake confided, giving the witch a small smile. "However, there is a little bit of theory, so, in addition to all of these, I would recommend that you read over the textbook, know the basics of the spells, and if you aren't sure, send me an owl, or something, to go over it. The practical spells will be based on what we've covered."

Jake finished his explanation, making copies of the work they'd done and held them out to Janet. "Is there anything else I could help with?" Jake asked, making it clear he was just going to give the witch the papers and wish her the best of luck with it all.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Will I Catch Up?! {Jake}   How Will I Catch Up?! {Jake} Empty

Back to top Go down

How Will I Catch Up?! {Jake}
Page 1 of 1