Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Day AU Harry Potter Roleplay Site for Original Characters

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
OOC Shoutbox
Current Plot
September 2028

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 108 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am
Latest topics
» .The Wonder Years - Blue - June, 2009 (Alexagramma)
Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7) Emptyby Annagramma Hawkeye Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:48 pm

» The Wonder Years - Red - May, 2008 (Alexagramma)
Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7) Emptyby Annagramma Hawkeye Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:48 pm

» Fly on the wings of fondness (JacZalea)
Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7) Emptyby Jacques Clement Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:49 pm

» If only I, could make a deal with God
Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7) Emptyby The Administrator Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:33 pm

» When it Rains, It Pours ((Open))
Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7) Emptyby The Administrator Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:32 pm

Unanswered Open Threads
None!
IC Chatbox

Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7) Empty
PostSubject: Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7)   Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7) EmptyFri May 04, 2018 11:11 pm

After the beginners' class, Grayson quickly set about putting his room back together in preparation for the older students. He had something different planned for them, knowing that he'd need to take different approaches with different age levels. He had a little time between classes, so he was able to restore the real furniture that had come with the classroom.

He wouldn't have time to clean everything off the floor, but thanks to some prior planning, he wouldn't need to. In fact, his two lessons tied into each other perfectly so that all of his students would be able to learn, while also relieving him of some extra work.

With the younger students, Grayson's main goal was to get them excited about transfiguration, knowing that it was best to instill a love of learning first before getting into the content. With the older students, hopefully they were already mature enough to have internal motivation, because unfortunately his curriculum would have to cater mostly to the end-of-year exams set by the Ministry.

It was one downfall of teaching a core class, but Grayson had had all summer to deliberate and plan, and he was determined not to let a set curriculum stifle his creativity.

His main focus, he decided, would be on real-world application. Thus, he left his mess of a classroom as it was, with random clutter strewn across the floor, and wrote three words on the board: "The Vanishing Spell."

Last edited by Grayson Hughes on Sat May 05, 2018 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7)   Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7) EmptySat May 05, 2018 9:52 am

Transfiguration was one of the classes where Sasha wasn't that good but she did enjoy the class still. Even yeah lately she didn't really enjoy doing much of the things. She knew that she should try to be happier and not focus so much on the past, well her summer. There was happening so many things. It was kind of her worst summer ever.

Anyways she walked into the Transfiguration classroom and wasn't sure what has happened there now. It didn't really matter to her since she knew she would find it out eventually. The Head Girl looked at the board and noticed there words The Vanishing Spell.

The girl had to recall what this meant since well she wasn't super good with Transfiguration spell names. She knew she should have known it since it's already her last year here. "Oh, hello, professor," she decided finally say this. She wasn't sure if she has seen this professor before somewhere or not. She more likely hasn't.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7)   Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7) EmptySat May 05, 2018 10:20 pm

Attending Transfiguration had not been in Nerisei's plans, but the fact that it was one of the core classes left her with no choice. Her O.W.L. results were incredible, she had to admit, but that Exceeds Expectations in Arithmancy and in Transfiguration had to change. That made the Ravenclaw Prefect decide that studying Transfiguration had to become one of her top priorities, because failure was not an option for her.

The young witch took her time to get to class, knowing that she wasn't late at all. On the contrary, she would probably be one of the first there. Whilst descending the stairs, Nerisei pulled her phone out of the pocket, discreetly checking for any text messages from Dimitri. Sighing as the notification bar was empty, the witch put her phone back in her pocket and walked towards the Transfiguration classroom.

Pushing the door open softly, Nerisei took the time to look around the classroom, making a face at the slight mess it was in. Her eyes found the only other student in the class, Sasha Denver, the Head Girl, giving her a small smile, before turning to the Professor.... Who was none other than their Librarian, Grayson Hughes. Well, that was going to be an interesting lesson.

"Morning, Professor." The Prefect greeted, while scanning the board quickly.

'The Vanishing Spell'

With another sigh, the Ravenclaw settled down. Transfiguration was not going to be fun.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7)   Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7) EmptySun May 06, 2018 7:26 pm

Dimitri had opted to continue with Transfiguration due to its close proximity with Charms. Charms, DADA and Transfiguration were quite closely linked, which made them good lessons to attend when your love lied with Charms. And, at least, having Transfiguration on his list of subjects left less time for Potions to wear him down.

Heading down to the ground floor with a few of his friends, Dimitri was barely listening as the seventh years chattered about their classes, instead just thinking over things as they were as of late. Many things were troubling, but the Ravenclaw had never been very good at discussing them. It left him somewhat distracted, and more than a little closed off, but he wasn't overly noticing of such a problem.

"Gerber's here." Phil told Dimitri as they entered the class, noticing Dimitri wasn't paying much attention. But the mention of Nerisei brought Dimitri's attention back to the present as the small group of Ravenclaws headed Nerisei's way and Dimitri slid in to the seat next to the witch.

"Hey," Dimitri greeted her softly, pulling out his notebook and getting ready for the lesson to begin.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7)   Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7) EmptyFri May 18, 2018 6:49 pm

As the class filled up, Grayson rose to address the older students, hoping they wouldn't feel as if he were using them. In truth, he sort of was, but it had a purpose behind it that he hoped they would recognize.

"Good afternoon," he started. "In case we haven't met, my name is Professor Hughes. I think I recognize most of you. You've probably seen me around in the library in previous years, and while I do have a new job, you can still find me there if you need me. My policy as a professor is the same as it was as a librarian: if you need any help, all you have to do is ask."

He paused and looked around the classroom at the clutter that had been mostly pushed to the sides of the room, but was still very apparent.

"That being said, today I need some help from you. My class this morning was learning an untransfiguration spell, and the lesson left this room in a bit of mess. As you can see, there are random objects littering the floor. I don't have anywhere to put them, but I need them gone. Luckily, there's a spell for that."

Grayson looked pointedly up at the board behind him, then turned back around with a smile.

"Does anyone know the incantation for the Vanishing Spell?"
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7)   Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7) EmptyFri May 18, 2018 9:06 pm

As always Sasha was in her own thoughts before the lesson did start. She didn't really talk much with others in the classroom. There was no need really and the girl wasn't really in the mood too. Lately, she barely had the mood to do anything, she always seemed to be not feeling like doing much or then would just spend time alone.

She heard what the professor said. The girl paid that much of attention in the classroom. She knows about the Vanishing Spell, even if she hasn't really used it much herself. There hasn't really been much of use in her life for it. She tried to remember the way how you should say the spell. Well, the incantation.

"Isn't it something like Evanesco? You might even spell it with k, not c," she said there now something. She hoped she was right. The girl remembered it somewhere, even if she could have looked up it from her book what she had in her bag still but she was just too lazy for that.

Anyways she now waited for the professor to say if she was right or wrong.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7)   Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7) EmptyWed May 23, 2018 2:10 am

Grayson nodded encouragingly at the girl who spoke up.

"Correct, it is 'evanesco,' although it is spelt with a C. It's a Latin conjugate, from the word for 'to vanish.' As a side note, while it may not be necessary, I'd highly suggest studying Latin if you can. You'll find Latin words in every area of magic, and it will more often than not aid you in remembering incantations."

As he finished his tangent, he remembered one of the other duties that came with teaching and backtracked a little. "Oh, and five points to Hufflepuff," he added with a smile.

"So, as I'm sure you've guessed, today you will be practicing the Vanishing Spell on some of these objects over here." He moved from the front of the room to pick up a small flower pot from the pile nearest to him, and held it up for the class to see. "I'd suggest starting small, and working your way up as you feel comfortable. The spell itself is relatively simple, but it does require your full concentration to make sure you vanish the entire object. If you don't, it's not the end of the world--just perform the spell again on the remaining part."

When it seemed most of the class was watching, he retrieved his wand from his robe and demonstrated, the pot disappearing from his hand in an instant.

"Remember, there is only so much you can learn from watching.The most important aspect of transfiguration--any transfiguration--is to hold a clear image in your head of what you want to accomplish. The spell and wand movement are important, but secondary."

And with that, he released them to practise, supervising from the front of the room should anyone require assistance.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7)   Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7) EmptyTue May 29, 2018 7:59 pm

Dimitri was vaguely listening to the new professor, smiling to himself as he made notes because the man before them expected them to try to learn Latin as well as all the curricular subjects they had. For what reason? Dimitri shook his head, French and English were more than enough for him to learn in a life time -- even if his Maman was somewhat put out for his lack of enthusiasm when it came to learning Greek. Though, at least, he could pick out a few phrases to keep her happy.

The idea of Latin was just a no.

As the man before them explained what they were doing, Dimitri looked up at the man, his eyebrow quirked in a question, even if it was not spoken. When they were set off to start working, Dimitri turned his attention to Nerisei in that moment. "Is he serious? He wants us to do the work of House Elves?" The boy asked, showing quite clearly what he thought to such things. Whilst Dimitri was not as uptight as many other Purebloods in the castle, he was not one for doing jobs usually given to servants.

So, in that moment, he didn't actually move to try the spell, feeling much too offended by the thought to put his mind to doing the spells they had been asked to.

OOC: I'm sorry, Kiera, I thought I'd replied to this! I feel terrible! Sad
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7)   Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7) EmptyFri Jun 08, 2018 10:22 pm

Grayson stepped back to observe as the class got to work. Well, most of the class got to work. The Ravenclaw boy who remained at his desk did not fail to catch the librarian's attention, but though he raised his eyebrows at the boy, Grayson said nothing as he continued to scan the room for those needing assistance. Internally, he panicked slightly, trying to decide how to deal with the situation.

He'd known, of course, when he'd taken the job that he would have to deal with difficult students. He'd foolishly hoped he'd be spared at least on his first day. He was not prepared for this; he never encountered this problem as a librarian. How was one supposed to convince a student to participate? He could dock points--that would establish his authority within the classroom--but the thought didn't sit well with him. It didn't seem to address the root of the problem. There must be a reason the boy was refusing to work, and Grayson sought to understand, not to punish.

In the end, he decided to leave the boy alone for the rest of class, focusing his attention on those who were participating and needed help. The young Ravenclaw was only hurting himself, after all, and Grayson didn't want to embarrass the boy in front of his peers.

As class was coming to an end, he paused on his way past the Ravenclaw's desk.

"If you have a problem, Mr. Moreau, I will be happy to speak with you about it after class," he said quietly. "I'm afraid without a reasonable explanation, I will be forced to deduct points for your lack of participation, but I am willing to hear you out should you choose to stay after."

Having laid out his terms, Grayson returned to the front of the room to address his other students, congratulating them for their efforts, and dismissing them with their homework before the bell rang for them to leave.

CLASS IS NOW CLOSED

House points:
Sasha Denver: 10 for attendance + 5 for answer = 15 points
Nerisei Gerber: 10 for attendance = 10 points
Dimitri Moreau: 10 for attendance = 10 points

TOTALS:
Gryffindor: 0
Slytherin: 0
Ravenclaw: 20
Hufflepuff: 15
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7)   Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7) Empty

Back to top Go down

Transfiguration Lesson 1 (Years 5-7)
Page 1 of 1