Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Day AU Harry Potter Roleplay Site for Original Characters

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
OOC Shoutbox
Current Plot
September 2028

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 108 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am
Latest topics
» Election Night (Tessa)
Flying Lesson Two (All Years) - Page 2 Emptyby Tessa Greene Yesterday at 2:07 am

» The Awakening - Purple - February, 2010 (Alexagramma)
Flying Lesson Two (All Years) - Page 2 Emptyby Annagramma Hawkeye Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:13 pm

» 100 Word Tag Drabble Challenge
Flying Lesson Two (All Years) - Page 2 Emptyby Mimosa Harrington Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:34 pm

» Alexander Quinn
Flying Lesson Two (All Years) - Page 2 Emptyby Alexander Quinn Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:50 pm

» Chester Millstone
Flying Lesson Two (All Years) - Page 2 Emptyby Chester Millstone Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:45 pm

Unanswered Open Threads
None!
IC Chatbox

Flying Lesson Two (All Years)

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Flying Lesson Two (All Years) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Lesson Two (All Years)   Flying Lesson Two (All Years) - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 10:26 pm

Evelyn's anxiety was steadily on the rise every minute she spent in this class and when Professor Newbury started class, she gulped. She could feel her heart begin to race , the pounding causing her chest to clench up, her breathing to become deeper. She shuffled up to the Professor so only he could hear her. "Professor," the first year squeaked out, "I don't think I'm comfortable on that," she pointed to the broom that was laying beside her.

She had completely embarrassed herself, not in front of the class, but in front of the professor and to her, that was just as bad. She was sure to fail this class and if she did, her life could never grow worse because failing was the most dishonourable thing that existed.

She was nervous about flying, but she was even more nervous to see what the professor's reaction would be like. Would he just tell her to get over herself? She couldn't do that. She was a reader, not an outdoorsy, athletic person. She could feel a sting in her eyes but she refused to cry, not here, not now.
Back to top Go down
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

Birthday : 1992-08-13
Job/hobbies : Auror & DADA Professor

PostSubject: Re: Flying Lesson Two (All Years)   Flying Lesson Two (All Years) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 5:28 pm

When the next person came to him, Jake once more gave the new witch a warm smile. The explanation that the witch wasn't comfortable on the broom made Jake nod once. Moving to the broom, Jake brought it back to the witch, laying it down on her right hand side very carefully.

Kneeling before the first year so that he wasn't towering over her, Jake began to explain how to go about riding a broom. "The first thing you need to know about riding a broom, is that a broom always likes to be told what to do. So, as long as you know what you want to do, you will maintain control of the broom." He explained. "Now, take your right hand, and place it above the broom, palm down." Jake explained, showing her what he meant with his own hand.

"Now, to get control of the broom, you need to say 'up'. But, you need to say it like you mean it, and just really think about it coming up in to your hand. Think you can do that?" Jake asked the witch softly, his smile encouraging her to give it a try.

~ Auror ~ Profile ~ DADA Professor ~
~ In a Relationship ~ 36 ~ Father ~ 6' ~ American Accent ~
Flying Lesson Two (All Years) - Page 2 Rsz_1j10
Back to top Go down
https://hogwartsandbeyond.forumotion.co.uk
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Flying Lesson Two (All Years)   Flying Lesson Two (All Years) - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 1:23 pm

Lux grinned at the first two words out of the professor's mouth after she posed her question. We're gonna get some action today she thought, the corner of her lips quirking up in anticipation of what she was about to learn and do. She knew she might not get it perfectly right the first time but with enough practice, she knew she could accomplish it.

Listening attentively to the directions and tips Jake gave her, she repeated them to herself mentally, making sure never to forget them. Her eyes took in his demonstration and she nodded once he was finished.

"Some coaching would be good. Thanks Jake," she replied as she mounted her broom, adrenaline pumping through her veins at the thought of being up in the air. She took a steadying breath before taking off to the height Jake suggested, using the Quidditch hoops as her guide. She flew to one end of the pitch to give herself enough space. Knocking into another flyer was the last thing she wanted to do – right now.

After glancing down at Jake to confirm she was in a safe spot, she got into the position that he showed her and sped up, going faster and faster, reveling in the feeling of freedom. She didn't quite know how long ten meters was and relied on the instructions Jake called out to her. Hearing him calling to her to pull back, she kept her arms straight and leaned back, feeling herself start to make the circle. She held on, seeing the world rush past upside down and feeling her blood flood her head, until the cue came from Jake to flatten herself. A little disoriented from being upside down, responded too late and instead of making a perfect circle, it was a mutation of a circle and some other shape until she got herself upright again.

Swearing profusely under her breath and hoping no one heard her but not caring either way, Lux made a turn back to the starting point, determined to try again. She set her jaw and kept herself steady before accelerating once more. You can do this. She made the turn upwards, starting the circle and leaning back as much as she dared, keeping a tight grip on the broomstick. In her head, she imagined the circle she was forming and approximately when she would need to lean towards the broom to bring herself around. Now? No. Little bit more. Now? You can't be too late again. Now? Her sparring thoughts weren't doing anything to help with the disorientation she was once again feeling with being upside down.

She wasn't expecting Jake's cue but when she head him call out to her to flatten herself, she closed her eyes against the dizzying rush and leaned towards her broom, opening her lids once she was upright again. She noted her position and pursed her lips although a little part of her was rejoicing. She had come close to making a full circle. She hadn't quite ended where she started and had instead made an oval with a sort of tail. She'd just have to practice more but for now, Lux descended to the ground and dismounted to take a breather.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Flying Lesson Two (All Years)   Flying Lesson Two (All Years) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 11:56 am

The idea of practicing what they were not very good at made Finley both relieved and anxious. Admitting flaws was not something Finley was unaccustomed to, oh no, he could tell you a full list of things that he was rubbish at. But it was the idea of picking one thing to work on that made him anxious - which part of his flying would he need to work on?

Watching the Slytherin girl go first, he could see that Jake was busy, so he hung back, waiting to see what she needed help with. It didn't take very long to find out as she took to the skies, Finley watched her intently from the ground, hoping she wouldn't hurt herself. Jake seemed to have it under control though, and soon moved on to the first year, Finley once again waited, before shuffling forward once they were done.

"Umm... P-. Jake." Finley said, making sure to have the man's attention. "I w-wondered..." The Ravenclaw paused, looking back to Naomi who was a very good flier, and probably thought his flying was abysmal. "I was w-wondering how you g-go fast on your b-broom whilst keeping c-control of it." Finley continued, his eyes not quite meeting the professor's because he felt silly admitting he couldn't do something so simple.

"W-when I go f-faster, I seem t-to lose the control of the b-broom, but I'm not s-sure why." He finished flatly, hoping that the professor would have an answer, and not turn him away as a lost cause.
Back to top Go down
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

PostSubject: Re: Flying Lesson Two (All Years)   Flying Lesson Two (All Years) - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 8:18 pm

Jake could not deny that he was immensely proud of Lux as she took to the sky, whilst he didn't know much of the witch, he was quite sure his students were not stupid enough to ask him to show them something they weren't both confident in trying, or at the right level to try in the first place.

But what Lux was about to attempt was difficult, even for the very skilled fliers.

Watching her take to the sky, Jake called up to her the best he could with instructions to follow to perform a perfect loop. He wasn't expecting perfection, of course, but you would have to be taught right from the start if you wanted to achieve that with time. After the second attempt, Jake couldn't help but grin up at the witch triumphantly. "Well done, Lux!" Jake called up to the witch once she'd finished the loop.

"You can keep practicing if you want, but don't do too many too quickly, otherwise you'll get a head rush!" He added, his voice raised higher than many of his students might have heard before so that it traveled up in to the air high enough.

When the next student came to him, Jake smiled at the boy beside him, lowering his voice so that he and Finley could have a private chat despite the others there. Nerves were something Jake had looked in to upon noticing Finley's stutter - something a number of the professors were trying to help the Ravenclaw with - in the hopes he could be a little bit more help to the boy.

"Well, Finley." Jake started softly, trying to make sure the boy knew he wasn't thinking badly of him for asking a question the Ravenclaw no doubt thought to be silly. "It's to do with confidence in your broom skill." Jake told the boy, not for a moment saying the boy didn't have it, because Jake knew that he did, somewhere.

"You're capable of flying, quite well, at slower speeds. Which is absolutely fine." Jake assured the boy with a smile. "So, you just need to know that, here." Jake pointed to Finley's head. "That's all that is stopping you, I can assure you of that much. So..." Jake reached out for one of the school brooms and held it between himself and the Ravenclaw.

"Tell me, Finley, what can you do?" Jake prompted, raising an eyebrow when the boy faltered for a moment. "Okay, repeat after me: I can fly, and I can fly fast." Jake told the boy.

Finley looked to the side for a moment, but Jake held the broom out still, waiting for the boy.

"I c-can fly, and I c-can fly f-fast!" Came the Ravenclaw's response, with an uncertain smile.

"Again, a little louder." Jake prompted, grinning at the boy, oozing enthusiasm.

"I c-can fly, and I c-can fly f-fast!" Finley repeated once more.

"Now, get up in the sky, Finley. Repeat those words, and gradually get faster. I believe you can do this, so now I want you to show me." With that, Jake let go of the broom, allowing Finley a little space to get himself ready for the class.

OOC: Permission to GM from myself as Finley is my character.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Flying Lesson Two (All Years)   Flying Lesson Two (All Years) - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 7:08 pm

Naomi watched the other students asking for help, doing a little warm up flying. She did listen to Jake's instructions to Lux about loops, deciding that she might try one towards the end of class. She grinned proudly as Finley moved forward to ask about flying faster. When Jake was done with Finley, Naomi touched down lightly.

"I'm having some trouble with tight turns, especially the faster I'm going," she explained. "Do you have any advice? And after I practice that for a while, I'm going to try a loop, like Lux. I heard your instructions for that."

Naomi hoped Jake could help her. Her turns were always overly wide and it bothered her. It was one of the few ways her flying wasn't great; she could handle everything else but the sharp turns. And hopefully, those wouldn't be a problem soon either.
Back to top Go down
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

PostSubject: Re: Flying Lesson Two (All Years)   Flying Lesson Two (All Years) - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 7:33 pm

The next question that came made Jake think for a moment, sharp turns were something he could do, but it was something he'd just... done. Thinking about how he did it, Jake took up his own broom, mounting it but not kicking off the ground, motioning for Naomi to do the same.

"So, when you normally corner, you lean a little, and ease the broom around with a gently pull of the broom in the direction you wish to go, right?" Jake asked the witch, though it was a rhetorical question. "To do a sharper turn, you need to exaggerate the latter, pull the broom harder, and bring your speed right down - I know that seems weird if you're going fast, but trust me.

"The slowing down makes the turn easier for you, you will need to hold on tightly to the broom, and really show it what you want. You might do... kind of like a skid but in the air, the first couple of time you try it, because your broom will think you're trying to stop and then turn, but stick at it." Jake tried to explain, along with a small demo on the spot.

"And, you can try the loop, but go careful." Jake told the witch, giving her an encouraging smile.

Class Now Closed.

House Points
Nirek Kapoor = 10 points for attendance
Evelyn Kovak = 10 points for attendance + 5 points for participation = 15 points.
Finley Allen = 10 points for attendance + 5 points for participation = 15 points.
Naomi O'Hare = 10 points for attendance + 5 points for participation = 15 points.

Lux Bailey = 10 points for attendance + 15 points for participation = 25 points.

TOTAL:
Gryffindor: 10
Hufflepuff: 0
Ravenclaw: 45
Slytherin: 25

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flying Lesson Two (All Years)   Flying Lesson Two (All Years) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Flying Lesson Two (All Years)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2