Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Day AU Harry Potter Roleplay Site for Original Characters

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
OOC Shoutbox
Current Plot
September 2028

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 108 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am
Latest topics
» Election Night (Tessa)
The Palace of Versailles, April 2023 (Louis) Emptyby Chester Millstone Fri May 03, 2024 8:10 pm

» Back to Basics (Flying Lesson)
The Palace of Versailles, April 2023 (Louis) Emptyby Josie LeBlanc Fri May 03, 2024 7:51 pm

» Look at these phtographs ( One shot)
The Palace of Versailles, April 2023 (Louis) Emptyby Tessa Greene Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 am

» Night with old friends ( One shot)
The Palace of Versailles, April 2023 (Louis) Emptyby Tessa Greene Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:47 pm

» The Awakening - Purple - February, 2010 (Alexagramma)
The Palace of Versailles, April 2023 (Louis) Emptyby Alexander Quinn Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:34 pm

Unanswered Open Threads
None!
IC Chatbox

The Palace of Versailles, April 2023 (Louis)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Vanessa Clement
Adult
Adult
Vanessa Clement

Birthday : 1973-06-22
Job/hobbies : The Lady Clement

The Palace of Versailles, April 2023 (Louis) Empty
PostSubject: The Palace of Versailles, April 2023 (Louis)   The Palace of Versailles, April 2023 (Louis) EmptySun Dec 12, 2021 1:45 pm

“Maman, you must take your potions,” the Lady Clement chided softly by her mother in law’s bed. Age was catching up with Lynette Clement and her body was already showing signs of duress. Where Lissette Clement had willed herself to live beyond her years, Lynnette had neither the power nor the wish to do so. Barely close to her eighties, she was already on an array of potions and charms that made sure the older witch remained healthy. The difference between when she took her medication and when she did not was subtle but Vanessa had learned to tell the difference.

“Those things make no difference,” the former Lady Clement complained albeit politely. And to an untrained eye, perhaps they did not. But to someone who watched Lady Lynnette as loosely as a family member, the potions made her posture straighter, her breathing easily and her bones ache less as denoted in the way she stood and sat. “Darling Elenore’s letters make me feel far better than the horrendous tinctures.”

“And I’m sure she’ll write to you soon, but you wouldn’t want to worry the child when she comes home to find you unwell now, would you Maman?” The tradition started almost twenty years ago of having at least one meal a weak in her mother in law’s withdrawing room had been kept up over the years, even if these days it was more by Lady Lynnette’s bedside than in her actual withdrawing room. The grey haired witch simply nodded, she knew as well as Vanessa that there would indeed be a letter by the youngest Clement soon.

Over the years, Elenore may have stopped writing to her mother regularly but at least one letter was sent to her grandmere every week. Vanessa often used these lunches to subtly inquire about Elenore’s wellbeing at Hogwarts, not wanting to trouble the child with her queries. Maman had always given the witch the impression that Elenore was doing fine and was embarrassed by her parents’ constant correspondence. Even going as far as to suggest that Vanessa and Louis create gaps between letters so as to give the child some breathing room. “So, how is Elenore getting along at school? I haven’t heard from her since February,” the brunette confessed, unable to disguise the forlorn note in her voice. Jacques had written to her thrice in that time period and Mimosa twice as many times.

“The child is fine,” Lynnette waved a hand, as if dismissing Vanessa’s notion of worry. “You know how children are that age. Self absorbed and foolish. Elenore is busy with her friends and her studies. Don’t bother her with letters or she’ll only shy away more from you.” Maman had a point, the witch thought. Pushing her daughter might result in the exact opposite of wanting to be kept in the loop of her life.

“I don’t know,” the Lady Clement tried, unsure how to phrase her inner most thoughts. She hadn’t even shared them with Louis for fear of worrying him. With the Summit coming up, they couldn’t afford any distractions. The Clements’ case was prepared, as were their team of lawyers and litigators as well as outside agents. It never hurt to go in prepared for all eventualities. “I worry about her lack in interest in the House dealings. Do you remember how interested I was in our various corporate ventures, and generating more sustainable resources for the good of the House when I was younger than she?’ Indeed Vanessa had been sat down and instructed by Lady Lissette herself who expected the betrothed even of a second son to know the ins and outs of the dynasty she was marrying into. “It’s almost as if she doesn’t see the Palace as her own, like she’s merely a guest.”

“Well, all girls are merely guests in their parents’ home, are they not?” Lynnette pointed out, her sharp gaze still bright beneath the veils of ill health plaguing her features. “The child is now sixteen, well at the age of engagement. Have you and Louis given any thought to her future?” the question was not unexpected, but still one Vanessa wasn’t entirely comfortable answering simply because she knew that while the rest of the world had changed, Maman remained the same locked within these walls. The illusion of time staying still was easy to maintain in a structure hundreds of years old, surrounded by antique furniture and ideas.

“This is her home as much as it is anyone’s Maman,” the Lady Clement verified, not unkindly. “And Louis and I have no intentions of finding her a match this early. It isn’t the sixteen hundreds after all, marrying into your twenties is rather respectable.” The younger itch averted her gaze at the last sentence however, feeling erh mother in law’s judging eyes linger on her.

“My dear, just because you married in your twenties does not make it respectable.” The judgmental looks Vanessa had anticipated but the words caught her unaware, sending a sharp jab inside her, a lot worse than one of Grandmere Lissette’s stinging hexes. “Besides, have you considered what’s best for Elenore? What the poor child wants? Maybe she ants a fairytale wedding and a home of her own that she can rule as opposed to playing second fiddle here?”

“Did she say that to you, maman?” Vanessa questioned, putting her own hurt feelings aside in favor of inquiring as to what Elenore wanted. Had the child really said something like that to her grandmere? And if so, should they really be looking more seriously for a match? Elenore had expressed no such feelings to her parents or her brother, but she was closer to Lady Lynnette then all of them combined.

“Not in so many words,” the older witch admitted a thoughtful expression on her face. ‘I am her grandmere and she is a Lady. But I seem to recall unnecessarily plentiful mention of Mycroft Winston in her last few letters. It seems she’s taken rather a shine to the Holmes boy.” Lynnette paused, waiting a beat and taking in her daughter in law’s surprised features before continuing. “And if I were you my dear, I would not delay a betrothal. You know what happens when young ladies develop these feelings and the relation isn’t officiated. They seek other ways…”

“Maman!” Vanessa snapped, standing to her feet. “Kindly do not speak of my daughter in that tone. I trust Elenore Lissette will guard the honor of her name and family with her final breath.” Enough was enough, Maman may be sick but nothing could excuse the implication the other witch had tried to send across. Lynnette on her part looked as if she would reply in kind, but the fighting spirit seem to slowly dim from her eyes. The grey haired witch leaned back into her pillow with a soft sigh.

“What do I know?” she whispered just loud enough for Vanessa to hear. “I’m just an old woman on the brink of death. I’m sure you and Louis know what’s best for the child who doesn’t speak to you.” With that, she closed her eyes, leaving Vanessa both worried and confused. Was Elenore as eager for marriage as Maman had just implied? Did the child have no ambition towards her own home and name?

Perhaps it wouldn’t hurt to have Mycroft Winston over in the summer, just to observe how Elenore reacted around the wizard?

Come Plot With Me <3
The Palace of Versailles, April 2023 (Louis) Rsz_ve10
Back to top Go down
Louis Clement
Adult
Adult
Louis Clement

Birthday : 1973-05-29

PostSubject: Re: The Palace of Versailles, April 2023 (Louis)   The Palace of Versailles, April 2023 (Louis) EmptySun Dec 12, 2021 1:46 pm

The ICWW Summit was growing closer, and Louis was quite sure a number of the candidates would be tearing their hair out with the preparation for the Summit. If news from England could be trusted -- which, Louis knew the news could never be trusted, and should always be taken with a pinch of salt -- Kamren Jennson, the current Minister of Magic, was not holding up too well against outside pressure.

The media wrote frequently of how the Minister was keeping his cards to his chest, and the masses were losing their confidence. Jacques had written home with clippings from the Prophet, and other media sources, of the uncertainty in the country, together with a number of ideologies from his class mates for his father's use. The boy had sent his well wishes -- showing without saying that he understood he could not ask of his father's stance on the coming Summit in letters -- and left them to it.

The legal teams were working tirelessly, bringing the argument forth for both removing the Statute, and keeping it. The Clements, and therefore France, were not going to rush in to any decision without the full facts. Without the backing of the country behind it. Merlin knew, of course, that keeping control was a very find line of a balancing act, and they could not get this wrong.

Louis had been working with all his teams, coming up with new stances to be explored, and taking in the information in areas he was not so well versed in. The balance of the arguments tilted from to day to day in favour of the Statute, before going to being against it.

But they were unrelenting in their work.

Vanessa had joined him most days, and Louis had taken the time to present her with the day's findings, giving up his chair for the Lady Clement, before pulling papers before her, and showing her the new findings. They worked late, discussing the new points, but never speaking a word of their final decision, because they both knew that once they laid out the path they were headed down, there would be no turning back.

The evening had drawn in without Louis really noticing. The days were growing longer, the light keeping everyone at work for longer still. Dinner had been announced to the Lord Clement -- but he couldn't remember how long ago that had been. It was, without a doubt, something that Louis had missed that evening, as he instead bent over his desk, scribbling his own notes on the days findings, and trying to present them in a logical manner.

A small headache was forming from the hours of unrelenting work behind Louis' eyes, but he had to finish this. Then, and only then, could he rest.

~ Lord Clement ~ Profile ~ 55 ~
The Palace of Versailles, April 2023 (Louis) Signat10
Thank you to the amazing Ruby for the signatures! <3
Back to top Go down
Vanessa Clement
Adult
Adult
Vanessa Clement

PostSubject: Re: The Palace of Versailles, April 2023 (Louis)   The Palace of Versailles, April 2023 (Louis) EmptySun Dec 12, 2021 1:46 pm

The palace grew quite earlier when the children were away, and especially early so on the nights when Lady Clement dined with her good mother. Everyone knew Lord Clement would not be eating at the table without his wife and so, dinner served was but a mere formality with a tray brought into his lordship’s study, a tray that, Vanessa noticed, had gone ignored in her absence as she quietly walked into the study after a soft knock on the door. A silent shake of her shimmering brown head as she walked over to him and placed a soft kiss upon his cheek.

“You haven’t eaten.” It wasn’t an accusation, merely a statement of fact. The covered food remained warm and – to their staff’s credit – even maintained its fresh aroma. Gently holding out her hand for him, she ushered him to his feet and guided him towards the side table where dinner awaited. Another reason for these late nights was the preparations for the upcoming summit, and even though they never spoke of their position, they knew what was at risk. Plans upon plans unraveled in Vanessa’s mind regardless of the decision, some reasonable enough to share with Louis and others she kept locked in the confines of her being for now.

As the Lord and Lady Clement took a seat on the comfortable sofas, Vanessa reached to open the meal, going carefully over each course and serving it to him herself. “I shall have to be your footman, butler and sommelier today I’m afraid,” she spoke, the smile on her lips betraying the seriousness of the words. “And I warn you, I haven’t been trained at all,” she added as she poured the first of his wines with his appetizer.

Soon enough they would return to work, and she would broach the subject of inviting the Holmes to tea over the summer. They would also have to decide what the children would be occupied with while their parents were off to the Cayman Islands but for now, they could afford a few restful moments of conversation.

Come Plot With Me <3
Back to top Go down
Louis Clement
Adult
Adult
Louis Clement

Birthday : 1973-05-29

The arrival of Vanessa could be felt before Louis could see or hear her coming towards his study. Subconsciously, or else otherwise, there was always that little feeling that suggested she was close. It came as no shock for Louis as the knock came, and he replied with a soft 'come in' though it was unnecessary. Vanessa never needed permission to come in to his study.

His eyes drifted to the clock as she entered, and Louis knew in the moment just before Vanessa said it that he'd let his dinner go amiss. He hadn't meant to, but sometimes other things got in the way. Louis' hand finished his final sentence as Vanessa motioned for him to move to his food with her, just about managing to put the quill back in to the pot before he moved too far from his desk.

The idea of Vanessa being all three of the servants required to serve him dinner brought a smile to Louis' lips as he took his wife's hand and brought it to his lips. "You don't need to serve me, Ven," Louis told her ever so softly, denoting that whilst he might not expect her to ever do such things, if that was what Vanessa wished to do, he would never stop her from doing it.

Though at the mention of not being trained, Louis let out a soft laugh, letting go of her hand as she moved to pour the first of the wines for him. Only one glass stood at the table, so Louis made quick work of the pepper pot, transfiguring it wordlessly for Vanessa to be able to join him. Pushing the glass towards Vanessa, Louis paused for a moment. "I'm sorry, for not joining you for dinner." The Lord Clement apologised, feeling utterly ashamed of the behaviour. Whilst he was busy, Louis knew he should make an active effort to at least dine with his family once a day.

"How was your day?" Louis asked, picking up his knife and fork to tuck in to his dinner. Vanessa would have to carry the conversation whilst he ate, but Louis was more than sure that his wife would have a list of things to discuss. If not the ICWW, then family matters, and if not matters of the family, Louis was sure their topic of conversation would not fall short of interesting, either.

~ Lord Clement ~ Profile ~ 55 ~
The Palace of Versailles, April 2023 (Louis) Signat10
Thank you to the amazing Ruby for the signatures! <3
Back to top Go down
Vanessa Clement
Adult
Adult
Vanessa Clement

PostSubject: Re: The Palace of Versailles, April 2023 (Louis)   The Palace of Versailles, April 2023 (Louis) EmptySun Dec 12, 2021 1:47 pm

As he gently kissed her hand and told her she had no need to serve him, Vanessa merely nodded. The question wasn’t here of need but of want. She liked looking after his personal things, a habit she didn’t often get to indulge in due to their servants and staff present around every corner. Though Vanessa wouldn’t trade what they now had for anything in the world, she sometimes missed the days of Woodstock. Not the horrendous English countryside, simply the privacy she and Louis had shared in the days before marriage and children, duties and obligations.

As the Lord Clement transfigured a spare piece of crockery into a second wineglass, a soft smile lit Vanessa’s face. It was plain to see he was tired and yet some courtesies would always be upheld. Pouring them both a generous measure of the Vognier 76, the witch replaced the bottle before moving on to the meal, uncovering the first course carefully and setting it in front of him for an easier reach. The candles winked merrily on the small table, bathing the room in soft golden light.

“That is quite alright,” she reassured him when he apologized for missing dinner. “I had dinner with Maman today. We caught up on all the gossip.” A wrinkle of worry appeared for the briefest moment on her clear forehead at the memory of Elenore’s perceived interest in the Holmes boy but perhaps now was not the time to discuss it. The child would be home soon. Mayhaps Vanessa could sit down to embroidery with her daughter and try to talk her out of this foolish want of marriage at such a young age?

“Maman suggested we show some neighborly courtesy and invite the Holmes for tea in the summer,” she added, reaching to drizzle a little white sauce on Louis’ plate. “And we do owe them hospitality after Tess Marie’s coming out ball. I was thinking we could do it when little Mimosa is here, she would love to see a proper tea and it might be beneficial to her education too.” Vanessa’s tone clearly implied the child wouldn’t have had the opportunity to witness anything remotely resembling “proper” in America.

The conversation continued with the meal, Vanessa catching Louis up to the day’s internal happenings while he ate and spoke when asked a question or opinion. The stacks and stacks of papers the Lady Clement had required on European countries debts had arrived last week and she had been making her way alphabetically through them with speed that belied her age. She and Louis had divided the work, coming together to consult on similar issues when necessary but because they were preparing for all eventualities, the workload too had grown significantly.

After dinner, the bell would be rung, a night footmen would come to clear the dishes away and instead of retiring to bed, the Lord and Lady Clement would return to work once more, the candles now serving as their reading light. Tonight once again, they would retire to bed somewhere around four in the morning, and rise only a scarce two hours later with the first ray of the sun, only to return to work. But for now, as they ate and drank and spoke, the world and all its challenge remained at bay.

Come Plot With Me <3
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Palace of Versailles, April 2023 (Louis)   The Palace of Versailles, April 2023 (Louis) Empty

Back to top Go down

The Palace of Versailles, April 2023 (Louis)
Page 1 of 1