Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Day AU Harry Potter Roleplay Site for Original Characters

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
OOC Shoutbox
Current Plot
September 2028

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 108 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am
Latest topics
» Night with old friends ( One shot)
Roots [Open] Emptyby Tessa Greene Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:47 pm

» Election Night (Tessa)
Roots [Open] Emptyby Tessa Greene Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:38 pm

» The Awakening - Purple - February, 2010 (Alexagramma)
Roots [Open] Emptyby Alexander Quinn Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:34 pm

» 100 Word Tag Drabble Challenge
Roots [Open] Emptyby Mimosa Harrington Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:34 pm

» Alexander Quinn
Roots [Open] Emptyby Alexander Quinn Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:50 pm

Unanswered Open Threads
None!
IC Chatbox

Roots [Open]

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Roots [Open] Empty
PostSubject: Roots [Open]   Roots [Open] EmptyThu Aug 31, 2017 11:01 pm

Despite all the open windows, the school Owlery was still a dark, musty place. The birds squawked and hooted as Niks heavy steps echoed on the hard stone floor. One of the only owls not making such a noise was a large, Eagle Owl sitting upon a perch at the far end. It stared into the room rather than out at the open world, dark piercing eyes staring through the dark at the blonde swede as he walked through.

His black robe sweeped low behind him, causing dust to lift and swirl in his wake. Reaching the silent owl Nik reached a hand up and ran it over it's head. "Hello Fidget." he commented quietly, almost affectionately to the bird. He glanced around the Owlery to see if anyone else was around before reaching into his pocket, pulling out a dead mouse by it's tail. He wiggled it in front of the owl, whose eyes immediately went wide. The noise in the room almost erupted at the sudden presence of food. Fidget tilted his head to one side, then the other, before darting forwards to grab the mouth with his sharp beak around the middle, flitting off his perch to a higher alcove in the owlery to eat his dinner in peace away from the other birds.

Nikolaj let out a soft sigh and moved to lean against the cold grey walls, looking out one of the openings into the grounds of Hogwarts, and further into the forest expanse stretching out. He reached his hand back into his pocket, fumbling for a moment before pulling out a rolled up parchment. He dropped his eyes to the words written there, scanning over them carefully, pain etching into his features and the creases on his forehead. He was fixed on the letter that he didn't hear the footsteps moving over the flagstones.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Roots [Open] Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roots [Open]   Roots [Open] EmptyFri Sep 01, 2017 3:51 am

Grayson tapped a rolled up piece of parchment absentmindedly against the palm of his hand as he climbed the stairs to the Owlery at a leisurely pace. The parchment was tied with twine, and contained a letter to his mother, to whom he wrote regularly when possible. After all, she was the reason he was staying in the United Kingdom, it would all be rather pointless if he did not keep up correspondence with her.

He had stayed with her for a month over the summer, cooking for her, running errands, and assisting with her paperwork as she prepared to retire later in the year. Then he had done some light traveling, spending two weeks in France, and one in Germany, before returning home to his small cottage in Ireland, where he admittedly spent very little of his time.

The school year was just beginning, and this letter was really just a customary thing, of little importance save to let her know that he was thinking about her and he was doing all right. But then again, that sort of thing often meant the world to a lonely old widow living by herself, so he gladly took the time out of his day to put some thought into it.

As he reached the Owlery, he noticed he was not the only one there. This would not have particularly drawn his attention, except that the man standing by the wall was one of the new professors hired this term, and he had a rather distressed look on his face as he read from a piece of parchment.

Not wanting to disturb the man just yet, Grayson continued what he was doing, walking toward a small black owl that he had taken to using. He tied his letter to the owl's leg and carried it to a window, releasing it into the air. Then he turned and watched the other man for a moment. Nikolaj, he remembered. It had been announced along with the other new professors at the opening feast.

After several seconds of observing in silence from the opposite side of the room, he moved a little closer--though he remained a comfortable distance away, not wishing to invade the other man's space.

"Forgive me," he began in his naturally soft voice, "I don't mean to pry, but you seem troubled."

He refrained from asking if the man was okay--his face and body language clearly showed that he was not, and most people tended to lie when faced with a question like that, so it was rarely helpful. Instead, he left the statement open. Nikolaj could speak if he wanted to, or brush him off. Grayson would listen if spoken to, but he understood the desire for privacy, and would respect that it was none of his business if the other man did not want to talk.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Roots [Open] Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roots [Open]   Roots [Open] EmptyFri Sep 01, 2017 12:02 pm

Hearing the voice Nik allowed his eyes to glaze over, adjusting his gaze to just above the parchment in his hand. He did not look up immediately, not wanting to appear startled although he had no idea how he had allowed someone to sneak up on him just so. Having overcome the surprise quickly, Nikolaj casually glanced up in the direction of the voice, raising a brow at the man stood there. Nikolaj recognised him as the school librarian from his induction, but had no recollection of his name.

"Just a letter from my Mother in sweden... she is not well." he commented lightly, rolling back up his piece of parchment and tucking it back into his pocket. He saw no need to get into the details of the matter - it was true that his mothers health was worsening day by day, month by month, but she had access to enough of the remaining family funds to ensure adequate care was given and Nikolaj sent her over what he could. The pain on his face was more due to the fact he had not seen her for years, would not see her for years and will probably never see her before she passed... He didn't even know if he would manage the funeral.

Nikolaj shifted slightly and stood up away from the wall following these thoughts, glancing over to the perch besides him as Fidget came bounding back down from the upper rafters, having finished his dinner. He squawked happily to Nikolaj and nudged his arm with his beak, as if asking for more. Nik merely patted the birds head once again before moving away, towards Grayson. The bird didn't appear pleased and turned his gaze to the newcomer, staring at him and squawking in annoyance once more.

"You're the Librarian right? Nikolaj Andersson, New Potions Master."

Nikolaj extended his hand in the direction of Grayson as he introduced himself. His expression no longer showed signs of the hurt that had been lingering there moments before, instead he looked confident, almost relaxed, as he flashed the man a soft smile. Time to start making acquantances.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Roots [Open] Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roots [Open]   Roots [Open] EmptyFri Sep 01, 2017 5:02 pm

The man took a moment to look up--composing himself, it seemed. Grayson nodded at the response to his unasked question.

"I understand," he said sincerely. And he did. His father had died of an illness just over two years ago. He'd been lucky enough to spend his final few months with him, but it could have been very different--in fact, he'd been planning to go to Mexico for a year, before learning of his father's illness. Had he gone through with his original plan to leave without returning to the United Kingdom first, he would have missed his father's death and funeral, along with having not laid eyes on the man in over fifteen years. So not only did he understand having an ill parent, he also understood being far away. Nikolaj had said his mother was in Sweden. Grayson imagined he must feel rather helpless being here in the UK, and not there with her.

"I'm sure the school would give you leave to visit her if you ever need to," he offered.

He shook the man's hand, a kindly expression on his own face as he introduced himself. "Grayson Hughes. Yes, the librarian."
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Roots [Open] Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roots [Open]   Roots [Open] EmptySun Sep 03, 2017 10:04 pm

Nikolaj frowned slightly at the suggestion that the school would grant leave for him to visit his Mother. It wasn't that the suggestion was a surprise - in fact, it could almost be expected, many of the other schools that Nik had worked at in the past had similar policies in regards to familial responsibilities. Nik had only once taken leave from work though... and that was not an experience that he really wanted to repeat.

"I don't think the leave would be necessary..." he commented. He'd tried to figure out a valid reason for saying so, but nothing came to mind. Nothing that he wished to share at any rate. "but thank you." he commented finally, hoping to head off any further questions on the matter before they arose.

As the man introduced himself Nik made a mental note of his name for future encounters. It was a great way to build rapore after all - people automatically grew fonder of those who made the effort to remember their name and greet them with it.

"It's great to meet you, Grayson. I have no doubt I will require your assistance soon - I'm not so good at navigating libraries." he commented politely with another flash of a smile. "I hear that Hogwarts has a large restricted section here? Tell me... what knowledge is restricted from the students here?" he queried. It was a true question - Durmstrang held nothing back from those students that wished to seek and learn, no matter the dangers. He found it hard to wrap his mind around the idea of witholding knowledge...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Roots [Open] Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roots [Open]   Roots [Open] EmptyMon Sep 04, 2017 1:35 am

The potions master seemed to want to change the subject, so Grayson let him. He was interested in the other man's experiences, but he did not wish to appear nosy. It did not do to push to hard, especially upon first meeting. Perhaps if they got to know each other better, he would learn more eventually.

"The restricted section is for many things. Mostly, it's to protect certain books that are extremely rare, valuable, or otherwise irreplaceable, to ensure that they are handled with care. It also houses books that are dangerous, whether due to powerful enchantments laid upon them, or due to contents that are deemed unsuitable for those who lack the proper maturity or judgement. Most of the knowledge in that section is actually available to the students who actively seek it out--they only need to ask permission, and prove that they can be trusted. Having a section for it is more so that younger students don't accidentally stumble upon dangerous magics before they are capable of handling them wisely."

He explained as best he could. He considered going on to list some examples of dark magic being abused by Hogwarts students in the past--the most infamous of course being Lord Voldemort, who had learned about horcruxes here at school--but he thought better of it. It was probably unnecessary. If Nikolaj still had questions about it, he could always clarify when the need arose.

"Why do you ask?" he added, almost as an afterthought. His tone was more flippant than he actually felt. He supposed the question was probably innocent enough, but asking about the restricted section struck Grayson as interesting, if not quite suspicious. He wasn't paranoid, but he was slow to trust new acquaintances, and it never hurt to be a little careful.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Roots [Open] Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roots [Open]   Roots [Open] EmptyTue Sep 05, 2017 6:05 pm

Nik was happy that his attempt to shut down the conversation about him returning home seemed to have worked out. He listened to Grayson's explanation of the restricted section, furrowing his brow slightly as he thought over what he had to say. Whilst the explanation was understandable he couldn't help but want to refute some of the ideas. It all went back to his upbringing he guessed... if you wanted to know, you could know. No knowledge was forbidden, regardless of age or gender. Perhaps blood status came into somewhat... Durmstrang being one school that still did not allow muggleborns through the gates, but that didn't really count.

As Grayson queried his question Nikolaj let out a light laugh, figuring that a new teacher enquiring into such things probably did look a little shady. "I studied at Durmstrang Institute... we did not have..." he thought for a moment trying to think of the best word for it - english was not his first language after all, "forbidden books." he finished up, giving a small shrug. "It's an unusual concept. I would have thought that books that were so rare and irreplaceable should probably not be housed in a school... no?" he commented with a light smirk, giving a shrug. He was surprised the Ministry did not hold onto such relics as they often did in many other countries. But no... the british saw fit to house them in a building full of mischevious children and teenagers.

"So from whom do the students need to ask permission. Me? You?" he asked finally, tilting his head to one side
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Roots [Open] Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roots [Open]   Roots [Open] EmptySun Sep 10, 2017 5:08 am

Grayson nodded, mostly satisfied with Nikolaj's answer, and chuckled softly at his comment. It was true--mixing fragile, valuable things with children seemed destined for disaster. He shrugged. It hadn't been his decision.

"Hogwarts has always prided itself on both its collection of rare books, and its ability to protect things. Personally, I'd reason that it's because books were meant to be read--a purpose they'd be unable to fulfill from behind a glass case in a museum. They would be just as useless if they were locked away as they would be if they were destroyed. We may as well give the students the chance to have access to something potentially valuable to their education."

Grayson nodded at Nikolaj's question. "Yes. Any of the professors and myself have the authority to grant permission. You would need to sign a pass, which the student would then give to me, and I would retrieve the book for them from the restricted section. I am obligated to trust your judgement, so you have complete discretion when it comes to your signature. Of course, that also means if you sign something and something terrible happens, I can and will blame you," he joked with a small, wry smile.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Roots [Open] Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roots [Open]   Roots [Open] EmptySun Sep 10, 2017 4:48 pm

Nikolaj thought for a moment over the matter of the rare books, sucking in his cheeks a second before he nodded to Grayson. "Well, howabout instead of keeping these books, that could be considered valuable to a students education, locked away only to be read in strictly monitored circumstances with the risk of them falling apart and losing that knowledge all together, we work at preserving the knowledge into a format that will outlive everyone here in this castle?" he asked, moving back to lean on the wall.

"With you permission of course, we could look at this as a sort of... detention exercise? I understood from my induction here that the headmistress prefers detention to involve the students doing something of benefit to the school or their studies. The rare books that are not cursed, hexed or charmed in otherwise complex ways can be copied and preserved with more modern techniques." he nodded slightly as he thought the idea through. "I could send students your way and they would have to copy down a chapter of one of these books as their detention exercise. Through the year I'm sure we could have several of these books recorded down for future use, then being able to safely store away the original book, the knowledge within recorded in a much more usable format."

He nodded slightly as Grayson advised he would have to be selective with whom he allowed access to the restricted area, and that it would be on his head if anything bad happened due to it. "Very well. I would like the opportunity to look through the books in the restricted section myself at some point so I'm aware of what is available there - unless you have an accurate inventory that you can provide for me?"
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Roots [Open] Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roots [Open]   Roots [Open] EmptyThu Oct 05, 2017 11:30 pm

Grayson considered this proposed solution carefully. It truly wasn't a bad idea. Writing lines was a usual detention when he was a student, and he supposed this was just a different take on that, with the added benefit of being constructive to the community.

Wizarding copyright laws were different from muggle ones. Wizarding precautions against plagiarism were often to simply charm the book against magical copying, which was why he was unable to simply duplicate the books himself instantaneously. He had considered, briefly, having students manually transcribe some of them, but several problems had immediately presented themselves--namely, the incredible time commitment, and the unreliable nature of handwriting, which ranged among the students from neat and precise to nearly illegible.

However, the solution his colleague now proposed sounded like he was referring to muggle technology. Hogwarts had recently begun to integrate a little of modern technology--mobile phones and internet access were now common amongst the student body. Perhaps it wouldn't be out of the question to purchase a computer for the library. He could create an online database (not that he truly needed one, he had one in his head--but for the benefit of the students, and future librarians, the idea had merit), and it would make it easier to transcribe fragile books onto a more practical and long-lasting format.

He decided it definitely would be worth the effort, and nodded thoughtfully. "That is a promising idea, actually. I'll look into it and see what I can do. It may take some time to arrange, but I'll certainly bring your proposal to the headmistress to see what she thinks."

In response to the man's question, he gave an affirmative nod. "I do have an inventory, yes. I'll retrieve it for you whenever you decide to come by the library." The previous librarians had kept up a relatively complete list of everything, and when he'd started, one of the first things he had done was organize all the records and bring the inventories up to date--it had taken the better part of a week, but considering how large the library was, this was actually a testament to the diligence of his predecessors.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Roots [Open] Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roots [Open]   Roots [Open] Empty

Back to top Go down

Roots [Open]
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hogwarts & Beyond :: Archives :: Archived Threads :: Archives Game Nine (2022-23)-
Jump to: