Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Day AU Harry Potter Roleplay Site for Original Characters

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
OOC Shoutbox
Current Plot
September 2028

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 108 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am
Latest topics
» Night with old friends ( One shot)
Kids like candy, right? (Open) Emptyby Tessa Greene Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:47 pm

» Election Night (Tessa)
Kids like candy, right? (Open) Emptyby Tessa Greene Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:38 pm

» The Awakening - Purple - February, 2010 (Alexagramma)
Kids like candy, right? (Open) Emptyby Alexander Quinn Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:34 pm

» 100 Word Tag Drabble Challenge
Kids like candy, right? (Open) Emptyby Mimosa Harrington Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:34 pm

» Alexander Quinn
Kids like candy, right? (Open) Emptyby Alexander Quinn Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:50 pm

Unanswered Open Threads
None!
IC Chatbox

Kids like candy, right? (Open)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Kids like candy, right? (Open) Empty
PostSubject: Kids like candy, right? (Open)   Kids like candy, right? (Open) EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 6:18 pm

Hamish browsed the aisles aimlessly. It had been decades since he had been in this little village, but then, he had spent a majority of the time after his graduation in the muggle world. But now he was back for good, albeit with lesser mobility in his left arm and PTSD, but that didn't mean he couldn't care for his daughter. His daughter was the reason he was here, after all. Her birthday was soon and she was rather fond of candy, but because his grandparents were muggles, she hadn't been given any sort of wizard candy. So here he was, staring at the stacks and stacks of candy and wondering how in the world he was supposed to choose something. What could he possibly get that would convey his deepest apologies for not being there for the first five years of her life while also saying he'd be there for the rest of it?

He sighed wearily and ran a hand through his hair, absently clenching his left hand around nothing. A symptom of his PTSD, his therapist assured him. Intermittent tremors came with it as well, which meant he couldn't return to being a surgeon. Thankfully, wizards didn't have much use for surgeons and he was able to get a job as a Healer at St. Mungo's. Not quite the danger-filled job he'd originally desired, but still exciting enough. He was a bit too old to start Auror training, and as a Healer he was able to be home more often for his daughter.

"Kids do like candy, right?" he muttered to himself.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Kids like candy, right? (Open)   Kids like candy, right? (Open) EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 5:18 pm

It had been two weeks since Naomi and Theo had moved in, and Daniel didn't regret a thing. At times he wondered if he'd done the right thing, but coming home and seeing Theo in his excited manner, and Naomi looking less stressed out threw away those worries. He had, in essence, a small family to look after now, and he was... enjoying it.

Every bill of Naomi's had been paid, and the information in respect of Theo's health bills had been transferred to Daniel's estate. Healer's were being employed to make sure Theo was getting the best of everything he needed - not that he'd told Naomi - and the two need ask for nothing.

After a quick trip to the castle (sans Theo), Daniel had stopped by the small village to the sweet shop. Now, Daniel knew that kids couldn't have candy in large quantities or too often, but Theo had been as good as gold since arriving at his house, and Daniel wanted to show his appreciation. Stepping through the door with the light chime of the bell, Daniel began to browse the aisles, wondering what his nephew would like the most.

He was minding his own business for the most part when he heard the man just up the aisle speaking. Quite softly, but Daniel caught it all the same. "Most kids do, but if you're unsure, I would suggest sweets, and chocolate as a back up. Then you're likely to win." Daniel responded to the question, giving the man a smile to show he was only trying to help in the moment.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Kids like candy, right? (Open)   Kids like candy, right? (Open) EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 5:58 pm

Hamish blinked at the man who had answered his soft-spoken question. He was young. Five years Hamish's junior at least, but no less likely a father. Most men Hamish's age had teenage children, after all, not daughters who were barely five. Still, he smiled in return and shrugged. "I suppose you're right," he replied with a sigh. He'd also been gone from the wizarding world for so long he'd forgotten just how vast their options were. "What do you get a five year old girl after not seeing her for nearly a year?" he inquired softly.

He spent far too much time with grown men, stitching up bullet holes and sending them back out. Now he was home, with a five year old daughter who still asked where her mother was. Hamish swallowed down the lump in his throat and blinked away the threatening tears. He had to be strong, for the both of them. "How old are your kids?" he finally asked.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Kids like candy, right? (Open)   Kids like candy, right? (Open) EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 6:08 pm

Daniel smiled to himself at the notion of being right. He knew he was right, but that was beside the point really. A lot of his friends now had children of their own, he'd come to learn to get sweets and chocolate so the kid wouldn't be upset if he got it wrong. The question that followed, however, made Daniel pause for a moment, trying to think of how to respond to such a thing.

After a moment of thinking about the question, Daniel decided to be honest. "I think, though I'm not sure, it doesn't matter what you get her. Presents won't make up for the time lost, so what you need to do is spend time with her. Play with the child. Of course, chocolate wouldn't hurt, but that's what I think will truly matter."

The question on his kids made Daniel smile to himself. "I'm not yet that lucky." Daniel replied, picking up some animal shaped chocolates that he was quite sure Theo would like. "I help my best friend look after her son though, he's five, and he means the world to me. I thought I'd get him a treat." Daniel explained, motioning to the chocolates he'd just picked up.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Kids like candy, right? (Open)   Kids like candy, right? (Open) EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 6:34 pm

Hamish sighed wearily, "I figured as much." Lyla really did mean the world to him, especially now that Moira was gone, and he wanted to do his best to be there for her. But, chocolate never hurt, and it was a good way to get children to open up when they were hurt and refused to admit it. Not that Lyla was hurting just yet, but Hamish was sure she would be once she understood that Mummy wasn't coming back.

He finally spotted a selection of gummy treats that he'd always loved as a child and picked up a couple chocolate frogs as well. "Well, I'm sure you will be someday," he stated with a soft smile. "And hopefully you won't be overseas when they're born, either." Hamish wasn't sure why he had said that, but it was still an honest statement. One of his biggest regrets was that he wasn't there for any of his daughter's previous milestones.

His ears perked up when the man mentioned his friend's child who was also five. Lyla was a happy child, but she didn't have any friends in the wizarding world and Hamish felt that was partly his own fault for being gone and leaving her in the care of his Muggle grandparents. Idly, he wondered if it would be possible to set up some kind of play date for the two of them.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Kids like candy, right? (Open)   Kids like candy, right? (Open) EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 6:42 pm

The sigh made Daniel cringe a little. "I'm sorry, that was blunt... I only... Sorry." Daniel told the man, and he meant it. Daniel knew he spoke too bluntly at times, it was one of the things he hadn't grown out of over the years, but he'd tried his best. "I'm sure she'll love the presents." Daniel insisted, because kids did love presents, but you couldn't just leave it at that.

"Someday." Daniel agreed, though how that was ever supposed to happen, he wasn't really sure. He loved Theo, a lot, of course, but he wanted his own child. Shaking the thoughts away, Daniel caught the last comment from the man and frowned to himself for a moment. "I don't plan to be. If I can help it. The school means I can go home every night." Daniel explained, not that he needed to.

Though, that would also be dependent on Daniel keeping a job for longer than five minutes within the school and not growing bored and wanting another adventure.

Noticing the popping candy that he'd liked when he was younger, Daniel picked up a box and moved towards the counter. "What about your daughter? How old is she?" Daniel asked the man, genuinely interested. He was sure the kid would be older than Theo, given the man was older, but then, Daniel couldn't be sure, because he only had the knowledge he'd accumulated from his own friends and not much else.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Kids like candy, right? (Open)   Kids like candy, right? (Open) EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 6:56 pm

Hamish hummed softly. It was unlikely a wizard would end up overseas for the birth of his child unless he couldn't avoid it; Hamish had been living as a muggle for the most part back then, so he hadn't had a choice but to stay despite the desperate urge to find a portkey or somehow apparate himself back. "No need to apologise," he replied with a smile. "That part of my life is over and done with," he added with a shrug.

"It's good that you can do that," he commented. "I've spent the last ten years in another country getting shot at, so the simple notion of coming home after work each day is a nice change." God, why was he saying all these things? There was no need to announce that he'd been a coward and fled to the muggle world to fight their war while another waged in the magical world as well.

He followed the man to the counter and waited as he checked out. "My daughter? She's five, actually," he stated with a self-depreciating chuckle. "I got started a bit late in life, I know." Not that it mattered, since wizards tended to live a good bit longer than muggles anyway.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Kids like candy, right? (Open)   Kids like candy, right? (Open) EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 8:53 pm

The thought of being shot at each day didn't sound like much of a nice prospect to Daniel. Though that was why he had never taken on a more dangerous job. Well, if you discounted the ten years he spent training dragons, of course. "I'm sorry to hear that." Was all he replied, however, because Daniel didn't wish to get in to such a conversation with the older man.

Nodding to the girl behind the counter when she asked if she should put the bill on to his account, Daniel took the bag that was his own and thanked the witch for her services.

"Five, huh? Perhaps Theo and your daughter will see each other around. At the castle, at least." Daniel pointed out, not offering his nephew to play dates because he didn't have the right to do such things. "I'm Daniel, by the way, Daniel Jameson. Headmaster of Hogwarts." He introduced himself, offering his hand to the other man.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Kids like candy, right? (Open)   Kids like candy, right? (Open) EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 9:43 pm

Hamish moved forward when the other man retreated from the counter. He counted out the required money and handed it to the witch, then took the bag of candy with a smile.

He hummed in agreement, "Maybe they will." Hamish hoped so, considering his daughter's happiness was paramount in his life and making sure she felt loved and accepted early on was the best way to ensure she was happy. God, school seemed like so far off for her, but he knew the time would fly by.

He shook the man's hand when it was offered, "Hamish Greer, Healer at St. Mungo's." Headmaster, eh? Well, he would certainly be a good friend to have. That is, if he remained Headmaster through Lyla's years at the school. Hamish might have been a Hufflepuff himself, but he was no stranger to ambition. But was it ambition if it was for the benefit of his daughter? He checked his watch and realised it was nearing the time he'd told his grandparents he'd be back. "Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Jameson," he stated.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Kids like candy, right? (Open)   Kids like candy, right? (Open) EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 3:43 pm

Daniel listened as the man explained he was a Healer at St Mungo's. That news was one that perked Daniel up, quite a lot. He needed a friend in that career, if he was honest, and it seemed one had just placed themselves before him. "Healer, eh. Good job." Daniel told the man, making a note of his name.

Perhaps he could speak to Naomi about this, set up a meeting with Hamish to discuss Theo...

But that was for another time.

"Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Jameson,"

"Please, call me Daniel." The man insisted, he had never been one for formalities. "I have a feeling we'll be seeing each other again, Hamish. Don't be a stranger when that time comes." Daniel told the man, stepping away from the man and giving him a small nod. He turned on his heel, walking from the shop and in to the street, only far enough to apparate back to his home, his head full of possibilities of what he needed to speak to his best fried about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kids like candy, right? (Open)   Kids like candy, right? (Open) Empty

Back to top Go down

Kids like candy, right? (Open)
Page 1 of 1