Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Day AU Harry Potter Roleplay Site for Original Characters

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
OOC Shoutbox
Current Plot
September 2028

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 108 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am
Latest topics
» The Awakening - Purple - February, 2010 (Alexagramma)
Mind Your Language (Chee Wye) - Page 2 Emptyby Annagramma Hawkeye Yesterday at 4:02 pm

» Election Night (Tessa)
Mind Your Language (Chee Wye) - Page 2 Emptyby Chester Millstone Fri May 03, 2024 8:10 pm

» Back to Basics (Flying Lesson)
Mind Your Language (Chee Wye) - Page 2 Emptyby Josie LeBlanc Fri May 03, 2024 7:51 pm

» Look at these phtographs ( One shot)
Mind Your Language (Chee Wye) - Page 2 Emptyby Tessa Greene Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 am

» Night with old friends ( One shot)
Mind Your Language (Chee Wye) - Page 2 Emptyby Tessa Greene Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:47 pm

Unanswered Open Threads
None!
IC Chatbox

Mind Your Language (Chee Wye)

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Mind Your Language (Chee Wye) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Language (Chee Wye)   Mind Your Language (Chee Wye) - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 10:01 am

Elleon chuckled, the first real laughter he'd had with someone other than Jelena since coming to Hogwarts. It was a refreshing change. Of course, he'd never be able to read Chee's lips because of his accent and slang but Elleon was loving the experience of learning more about a culture so vastly different from his own.

"No. Chope not English," Elleon replied with a broad grin that lit up his eyes. "Shock English but shioknia not English."

Elleon's grin broadened - if that was even possible - when Chee tried to explain himself. This guy was hilarious! Elleon didn't mind so much that he couldn't quite explain the words. He understood that each language had their own nuances and slang and some words could not be fully explained. He did sort of guess the meaning from the context and from what Chee tried to explain. He was used to guesswork, having to do it all the time while lipreading.

He didn't miss the hand gesture that came with 'chope'. Elleon felt excitement bubbling up in him. Sure, normal English came with gestures too that weren't considered Sign Language but he was eager to learn all the gestures that came with Malaysian

He chuckled as Chee listed off a whole bunch of food none of which Elleon knew and none of which was in English. He had a lot to learn about Malaysia and he determined to do some research and reading when he got the opportunity to do so. He was pretty sure Jelena got the spelling wrong though. He doubted it was really spelled 'Nahsee Lermark' or 'larksah' or 'rowtee charnai'. He'd have to ask his parents to buy him a book with everything Malaysian so he could learn more.

"I want try," Elleon said with a smile, elated that Chee said nothing about his grammar. Perhaps BSL and Malaysian wasn't very different. English but not quite English. "They all sound nice. You cook, you?" Elleon assumed that someone who had such a love for food would be a good cook.

"Welcome United Kingdom. Hope you settle well," he said with a warm smile. He couldn't imagine what it was like to live so far from home. He was in the same country as his family and yet was already feeling homesick. Chee must miss his family very much and Elleon wanted to make him feel as at home as possible.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Mind Your Language (Chee Wye) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Language (Chee Wye)   Mind Your Language (Chee Wye) - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2016 5:22 am

Nodding at the explanation, Chee Wye let out a 'huh'. In all his years of living, he had honestly believed that a lot of the words he had been using were English - and not Malaysian English, at that, but proper, England kind of English. So, to now learn that it's all wrong and not something that was understood shocked him beyond belief. How much else had he gotten wrong?

"Walau, you people so limited leh," he commented, genuinely feeling sorry for them. They had so few words in which to describe how they were feeling and situations! How else could one express themselves if not for 'lah's and 'leh's and 'wah's? Chee Wye honestly couldn't fathom it.
[Translation: "Wow. You people are actually so limited!"]

Nodding enthusiastically at the mention of trying Malaysian food, Chee Wye grinned at the boy. As a Malaysian, he was probably most proud of their food. With so many cultures, there were all sorts of combinations and variety that he had not found anywhere else in the world. Although, to be fair, he hadn't really been anywhere else (with Hogwarts being his first overseas experience).

"They all also nice," he confirmed. "More than nice, actually." Pausing at the question, Chee Wye shook his head. "No lah, dunno how to cook. That one is girl learn not guy."
[Translation: "All of them are nice... No way; I don't know how to cook. Cooking is what females learn, not males."]

It was what he had grown up knowing, and it was as part of him as his accent; he believed that, as most Asian cultures do, that females were to be housekeepers and learn how to sew, cook, clean houses, and the like. It was the male who went out and worked majority of the time. "One day I belanja you, okay?" he added, fully meaning the words. After all, it was an important part of who he was. [Belanja is a Malay word meaning "I treat you to", or like, "It's my treat". Usually it's used like: "I belanja", which is like, "I'm paying for you."]

Smiling at the words, Chee Wye shrugged. "Thank you," he said, then paused to think for a moment. "Eh, what is nice around here ah? I never come here before leh." [Translation: "Hey, what's nice around here? I've never been here before."]
Back to top Go down

Mind Your Language (Chee Wye)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2