Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Day AU Harry Potter Roleplay Site for Original Characters

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
OOC Shoutbox
Current Plot
September 2028

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 108 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am
Latest topics
» Election Night (Tessa)
Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra) Emptyby Chester Millstone Fri May 03, 2024 8:10 pm

» Back to Basics (Flying Lesson)
Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra) Emptyby Josie LeBlanc Fri May 03, 2024 7:51 pm

» Look at these phtographs ( One shot)
Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra) Emptyby Tessa Greene Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 am

» Night with old friends ( One shot)
Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra) Emptyby Tessa Greene Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:47 pm

» The Awakening - Purple - February, 2010 (Alexagramma)
Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra) Emptyby Alexander Quinn Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:34 pm

Unanswered Open Threads
None!
IC Chatbox

Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nikolai Kessler
Hogwarts Head Boy
Hogwarts Head Boy
Nikolai Kessler

Birthday : 2011-11-11

Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra) Empty
PostSubject: Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra)   Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra) EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 11:43 am

As he'd noted to the girl in the study room, Nikolai had slipped out of the Slytherin Common Room once the prefects had gone out to do their rounds and headed out towards the Potions classroom. The professors always locked the door -- as if forgetting the whole school had the capability of unlocking them with a simple incantation -- to the Potions classroom, which meant he always had to tread lightly. Pulling up the hood of his jacket to conceal his face as he moved through the dungeons with ease, Nikolai wondered if the girl would actually turn up.

Not that he really cared if she didn't. He didn't even know her name, that was how interesting she was!

The corridor of the Potions classroom was deserted, much to Nikolai's relief, and without much time to pause, he slipped out his want, muttered the spell to unlock the door, and slipped inside without too much noise. The classroom was deserted, as it always was, which allowed the Slytherin to push his hood down from his head. Smiling to himself triumphantly, Nikolai flicked his wand to the oil filled lamps, lighting each of them in turn until the room was light enough for him to work.

Still not being sure if the girl would turn up, Nikolai moved to one of the desks in the middle of the room, set up the station. First cleaning down the table, then setting up a new, clean cauldron for today's potion. His book was opened to the Wit Sharpening Potion, and he set it upon the book holder, reading over the recipe to familiarise himself with the process again. Checking the technicality -- a moderate level potion -- Nikolai considered for a moment, but shrugged it off. It was moderate, which meant at their level it was a little bit harder that usual potions they were given, but by no mean impossible.

If the girl didn't turn up, he would find another potion to practice, the Wit-Sharpening Potion had no use for him, but others most definitely might have uses.

Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra) B9PKxb
Thanks to Kitty for the signature! <3
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra)   Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra) EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 6:10 pm

Turns out Lyra's pretty good at sneaking around. As long as you know where people are, know the paths they take, it's really not that hard. Lyra it seemed, was slowly becoming a people watcher. It wasn't something she ever thought she would look at herself as, but the more she thought about it, the more she realized she always had been. Back home she'd always watch the tourists that visited. It was funny to watch people who'd never been to the beach before. The looks on their faces when their toes sank into the sand, or when a bit of salty water got into their mouths; it was amusing to say the very least.

The prefects of Hufflepuff seemed to enjoy their habits. Their rounds where the same every night, and all it took was a bit of studying to memorize them. After that, you could pretty much go wherever you wanted as long as you made sure to time it right, and watch out for them. Not to mention professors that roamed the halls every so often. But again, it didn't really affect her much, duck into an empty classroom, wait for them to pass, voila!

She had done just what she'd resolved to do a few days ago, and memorized most of the dungeons. She hadn't had time to memorize them all just yet, but she was well on her way. So, when Wednesday came around it was quite easy for Lyra to sneak out of her dorm, and slip towards the Potions classroom. Much too easy if you asked her.

She was dressed in comfortable clothing. Some skinny jeans and one of her favorite t-shirts, feeling a bit chilled but not caring because the outfit reminded her of home. That was one bad thing about the dungeons, they constantly seemed to be chilly. Just enough to make the hairs on her arms stand up without a jacket or long sleeves, but not enough to make her shiver.

She reached her destination right on time at exactly ten o'clock and slipped into the classroom easily, the satchel draped over one shoulder filled with the ingredients and recipes she had decided to practice. The first would of course be the Wit-Sharpening potion, since that was the one giving her the most trouble at the moment. She'd also brought the supplies for some more complicated potions, and resolved to just see how much time they would have. Of course, she knew there were ingredients and such already here, but if they were to not be caught they shouldn't use the class ingredients, right?

A quick scan of the room and she spotted the boy that had agreed to help her. She gave him a small smile and started towards him, hoping her footsteps would be enough to warn him of her presence so that when she spoke she wouldn't startle him. "Hey! Thanks for doing this... It's always easier to practice with someone who already knows how to do the potion."

She looked over the table, noting that he already had the recipe out and dumped her bag in a chair, partly to show that she really was committed to standing the whole time, as she had failed to show last time she'd seen him.
Back to top Go down
Nikolai Kessler
Hogwarts Head Boy
Hogwarts Head Boy
Nikolai Kessler

PostSubject: Re: Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra)   Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra) EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 6:25 pm

As the door to the classroom opened, Nikolai spun around to see who was there a little faster than necessary. The small level of worry that had touched his features in that instant had passed as soon as he'd seen the witch he was due to be meeting that evening. Instead a small, tight smile touched his features out of politeness to the witch. Still not knowing her name, though, Nikolai didn't know how was best to greet the witch.

Thankfully for him, though, the witch offered the first greeting which made this much, much easier.

"Hey," he replied casually to the statement. "It's not an issue. I can practice at the same time." Nikolai replied, carefree in the statement because it was true, ultimately. With her bag being put upon the stool, Nikolai paused for a moment, wondering how best to proceed.

"So, I figured we'd try the Wit Sharpening Potion again -- unless you've managed to crack that one since we last saw one another?" Nikolai asked, waiting for her answer before he continued on. "Did you bring any ingredients, or do we need to raid the store room? Not that I think Professor Blackwood would notice, she's rarely with it most days."

Looking to the table, Nikolai continued on. "I'm sure you know the basics, wipe down your station to ensure no cross contamination with previous work completed, ensure you've cleaned out your cauldron completely too?" He asked. "I've already cleaned up both for us to save us some time, but that might be something to check on your next potion. Also, remember to clean everything before you use it. Knives, chopping boards, pestals and mortars..."

Trailing off, Nikolai turned his attention back to the book. "So, umm... first step. We need the base potion that's always used, and then we need to add in Ginger Root until it turns green. Just little pieces, to ensure you don't go overboard." Nikolai instructed, moving out of the witch's way so that she could prep both the base potion and the Ginger Root herself.

No conversational points came from Nikolai, because he didn't really know what else to talk about, and it seemed the girl lacked in concentration so it was best not to distract her, wasn't it?

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra)   Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra) EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 7:30 pm

At the boy's response she nodded, not really sure how to respond. She felt a bit guilty for making him basically teach her a potion that he likely already knew, and didn't really need to practice.

"So, I figured we'd try the Wit Sharpening Potion again -- unless you've managed to crack that one since we last saw one another?"

She hesitated, lifting one shoulder in a half shrug. "I mean, I found time to go over it once and it was successful, but that doesn't really mean I could do it again. Sometimes the first time you do something is just pure luck, and considering how many times I failed..." She blushed slightly at the admission that she had failed at all, even though she knew the boy knew this already. "It's probably best to start with this one."

At the question of whether or not she brought ingredients she nodded and opened her bag. "Of course I did. I brought some stuff for some more difficult potions as well, I wasn't sure how much time we would have."

She started pulling out the needed ingredients resisting the urge to roll her eyes as she listened to him. "Well I'm not stupid. This isn't my first potion ever, I know to clean everything." The fact that the boy was treating Lyra like a beginner made her bristle slightly but she focused on the ingredient list, after all he likely wasn't trying to push her buttons. "Sorry, long day. I really do appreciate your help, but I have made a successful potion before."

She followed his instructions carefully, though she could easily see the book and didn't really need him to say it out loud. The base was poured in carefully before she started adding the ginger. She added it only until the potion turned the desired color before setting it aside with a nod. "Now it simmers, right?" She looked to him for confirmation, more to stroke his ego than because she couldn't see the directions. "For twenty minutes?" She checked the directions to make sure she was remembering the correct amount of time, frowning slightly. "Wait..." The recipe in his book said something differently entirely and she glanced up at the top of the page to make sure he had the right direction. "Your recipe is different..?"

She paused before raising both eyebrows. "I don't even know your name yet!" She offered him a hand to shake, a small smile on her lips. "I'm Lyra."
Back to top Go down
Nikolai Kessler
Hogwarts Head Boy
Hogwarts Head Boy
Nikolai Kessler

PostSubject: Re: Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra)   Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra) EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 8:03 pm

"Well, getting it right once is the right way forward." Nikolai replied to the witch in what he hoped to be an encouraging and non-patronising manner. Of course, like the witch had said, just because she'd done it once, didn't mean she'd cracked it, and as with all potions, you needed to practice a few times before you got the result to come out perfectly. Yes you were only following instructions, but there was a flair with timing that also aided in getting things right.

The witch snapped shortly after though, and Nikolai raised his eyebrow at her in a manner that showed he was not best pleased with the reaction in the slightest. After all, he didn't have to be spending his free studying time with her! But the apology soon came, and Nikolai nodded to show he accepted the apology. "Don't worry. Though, I was just covering all bases, in case that might have sparked an idea for where you've previously made a mistake." Nikolai explained patiently, letting it go because it wasn't really worth his time.

After that brief spat, though, the witch continued to follow his instructions, adding the base potion to the cauldron that Nikolai had lit whilst she prepped the ingredients for today. With it softly bubbling away, she had pushed in small amounts of root ginger until the potion turned to the shade of green Nikolai usually expected. "Great, so now-"

"Now it simmers, right?"

"No," Nikolai replied, frowning to himself as he checked the instructions in the book. "There's no waiting until quite close to the end, and that's only ten minutes. Now, we need to add Armadilo bile until the potion turns blue, and then the scarab beetles until it turns red." Nikolai explained, before turning to the witch as they both continued to work on prepping the ingredients to add to the mixture.

"Are you sure you bought the right book for our lesson? I know there are a number of books on the market, perhaps you picked up the wrong one with an alternative recipe? One that doesn't work, too." The boy mused, though he gave an apologetic look a moment later, her misfortune was not amusing, but this did explain why she was struggling.

Her final note, though, made Nikolai pause. Her name was Lyra, good to know, he tucked it away for the possible. "Everyone here calls me Squid Boy." Nikolai offered, which was true, and he'd become accustomed to answering to it now. He didn't really want to share his real name with this witch, and so he didn't. Taking her hand, Nikolai shook it carefully for the required time, then let go of her hand, turning back to the potion once more.

"Just go careful as you add the armadillo bile, this part is easily ruined." He commented, waiting for her to follow the instructions once more.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra)   Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra) EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 8:45 pm

The explanation made sense of course, and she nodded without a word. The realization that his book was different than hers, or at least the one recipe was, made her sigh to herself as she read over what his book said. Yes, much different than her recipe, though the ingredients were the same.

"Well that's just stupid." She murmured in response to the boy's suggestion of her having the wrong book. "Why would you put a recipe in a book if it didn't actually work? What's the use in that?" She huffed softly and pulled the next ingredients closer. Before offering properly introducing herself to him.

The name that came from the boy caused her eyes to widen and one eyebrow to raise. "You're Squid Boy? Mary-Ka-, er, Mimosa talks about you quite a bit. She seems to be under the impression that you aren't good in potions, but it really seems to not be the case. Though, she doesn't always really understand how things work well enough to be able to make proper judgement, so it really may just be her bad. Either way, I would say you're pretty good at potions! I mean, I'm pretty sure I'm better than Mimosa, and you're better than me, so I don't see how she would think she needed to teach you anything..."

She trailed off as she spoke to better concentrate on the potion as she added the bile a little at a time, waiting for it to turn blue. She then ground the beetles quickly and the potion was soon red. A quick consult with his recipe told her that more bile was next, and the potion yellow in no time.

"Yeah, my recipe never had the potion turn yellow," she commented as she added ginger once more. "It was a dark blue." The process went by quickly until the recipe said to let it simmer, though she made note that it said ten minutes, not twenty, just as Squid Boy had said earlier. She pulled a small timer out of her bag and set it for ten minutes so she wouldn't miss the cutoff time.

She felt the urge to go grab her book, compare at least the title to the boy's and see which book she would need to purchase, but it would really be better to wait until after the potion was done. After all, she felt the need to prove that she could stay focused on her potion, even if she talked as she did.

"So what house are you in?" She asked curiously, gazing at him before her gave returned to the cauldron. "Mimosa said you were in Slytherin but she obviously was wrong before." Another point came to her and she looked up again excitedly. "And are you really on the quidditch team?!"
Back to top Go down
Nikolai Kessler
Hogwarts Head Boy
Hogwarts Head Boy
Nikolai Kessler

PostSubject: Re: Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra)   Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra) EmptyMon Mar 04, 2019 8:32 pm

"Well, a number of potion masters disagree on the manner in which you concoct potions, so obviously the author of your book didn't agree to the standard version that had been set." Nikolai offered, because that much was obvious to him. "Of course, the fact it hasn't worked for you a number of times would suggest that that potioneer is completely wrong in his or her ideas, but has still managed to get their book published."

The question of if he was Squid Boy -- as if he would lie about such a stupid nickname! -- made Nikolai wait for a moment. The news that Mimosa spoke of him wasn't new, she talked too much about everything. It was why she could never, ever be trusted. Nor did it come as a surprise that Mimosa had been telling people how bad he was at Potion making. "It's okay, Mimosa lives in her own fantasy world. I'm bad at potions, she's amazing. But her potions always end up ruined, and mine don't. Equally, she's apparently really good at Quidditch, and I'm not, and yet I'm not the one giving Mercy Williams a damn easy game by not trying to knock her off her broom.

"It's better if you just leave Mimosa to her own fantasy land, I've found." Nikolai finalised with a shake of his head. Mimosa was stupid, overly imaginative, and very rude with the things she came out with. But, she was also Mimosa Harrington-Clement, so you had to put up with these things in life.

"But, buttering people up won't make them like you a whole lot, so I wouldn't recommend it." Nikolai added, to ensure that the witch didn't get any false illusions that her niceties about him were getting her to a point he might like her. She hadn't given him a reason to like her yet, but then, he didn't dislike her. He was just indifferent.

The point about what her recipe had said was a moot point, though. Nikolai cast the witch a glance sideways that said as much, before he moved to help prep the next ingredient.

"Slytherin." Nikolai replied easily, noting the Mimosa bashing still wasn't done. "And you're a bad Hufflepuff. They're supposed to be nice, but you're here bashing your best friend behind her back to me." He continued, smiling ruefully to himself. He wasn't trying to stop her line of thought, merely pointing out his interpretation of all of her words. Not to mention all of this was good information to have, should he ever need it.

Nikolai simply nodded to the question of Quidditch to begin with, checking over the recipe for the next steps and ensuring the next ingredients were ready. "Beater." He supplied, glancing to the clock to check how they were getting on for time.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra)   Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra) EmptyTue Mar 05, 2019 5:42 pm

"But that's my point." She debated lightly, mostly thinking out loud, "If their method didn't work why would they insist on publishing a book that included it? You would think that they would have tried the potion a couple times to make sure it worked. Though, maybe they did try it once. It ended up working for me once, though I don't understand how that would have happened logically..." She thought about that for a moment, trying to think on what she had done differently that one time that it actually worked.

A fantasy world was one way to describe the way Mimosa lived, the examples given and the examples she would be able to give if asked certainly supported such a statement, but she didn't comment any further.

She chuckled and shrugged when he said that buttering people up didn't make them like you. "That very much depends on the person, actually. Though I guess they ultimately like the attention you give them more than they like you, so you're still right in a way." She had come across plenty of people in her life that were like this, though usually they weren't the kind of people you'd want to be friends with regardless.

The mention that she was a bad Hufflepuff made her roll her eyes. "Yeah, well, I didn't pick my house, did I? Besides, I'm not bashing her, I'm simply stating the facts. I'm not insulting her or anything."

She grinned widely when he confirmed he was on the Slytherin team. "Well I don't expect much of a challenge from Mary-Kate, but maybe you'll give me a bit of one. I'm the Hufflepuff's seeker."

The timer went off after the required time, and she turned it off quickly before grabbing the ginger root again as she checked the instructions one last time and added it once more, slight bits at a time until it was a dark orange. "Well, that should be it..." She peered at the potion hesitantly, half expecting it to still not work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra)   Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra) Empty

Back to top Go down

Crash Course in Potion Making (Lyra)
Page 1 of 1