Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Day AU Harry Potter Roleplay Site for Original Characters

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
OOC Shoutbox
Current Plot
September 2028

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 108 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am
Latest topics
» Election Night (Tessa)
Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai) Emptyby Chester Millstone Today at 8:55 am

» Look at these phtographs ( One shot)
Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai) Emptyby Tessa Greene Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Night with old friends ( One shot)
Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai) Emptyby Tessa Greene Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:47 pm

» The Awakening - Purple - February, 2010 (Alexagramma)
Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai) Emptyby Alexander Quinn Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:34 pm

» 100 Word Tag Drabble Challenge
Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai) Emptyby Mimosa Harrington Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:34 pm

Unanswered Open Threads
None!
IC Chatbox

Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai) Empty
PostSubject: Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai)   Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai) EmptySun Mar 31, 2019 7:41 am

Mariah had found the reindeer.

Granted, they weren't really hiding. A temporary stable had been set up near the Quidditch pitch in preparation for the races, and Professor Venizelos was standing outside, waiting for interested students to arrive.

Mariah wasn't particularly interested in racing - she didn't really know how she felt about using supposedly wild animals for entertainment like that - but she did want to see the reindeer up close before they were all claimed by her peers, so she had set off to find them while everyone else was occupied.

She'd taken a roundabout route to the Quidditch pitch, not in any particular hurry as most of the school was still dancing on the main floor. She'd gotten sidetracked by a table of refreshments, taking a red velvet Valentine's cupcake and a steaming cup of hot chocolate for the road. She ate the cupcake as she walked, folding up the paper when she was done and, having nowhere to deposit it, sticking it between her fingers and her cup of hot cocoa to hold onto until later. She wished her dress had pockets.

When she finally reached the stables, she smiled and waved at Professor Venizelos, then tentatively asked him if she could take a closer look at the reindeer. When he answered affirmatively, she happily approached the row of stalls. Nobody else had arrived yet, and she was content to greet each reindeer one by one, affectionately scratching and patting them when they let her, and giggling as one leaned its head down to lick some icing off her hand.

She savored the relative peace and quiet as she heard the faint din of music and laughter in the distance. Perhaps it wasn't very polite to leave the main party so early, but it was nice out here and she was enjoying herself, so she figured that was what mattered. The point was to have fun, right? Maybe her idea of fun wasn't the same as most people's, but she thought it was valid all the same.
Back to top Go down
Nikolai Kessler
Hogwarts Head Boy
Hogwarts Head Boy
Nikolai Kessler

Birthday : 2011-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai)   Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai) EmptySun Mar 31, 2019 7:17 pm

After the short pep talk from Apollonia and with his spirits somewhat raised, Nikolai had opted to head back to the Ball. He'd avoided the main marquee where the dancefloor was housed, and checked out across the lake for someone to go to see. He found no one of interest there, though, and had instead turned to the other options available to them that evening.

Obviously, he had no interest in the princess outfit thing which was just unnecessarily girly and stupid.

Then there was the snow sculpting... truthfully, artistic talent wasn't something Nikolai had, and short of making a squid, the boy didn't really have any cool ideas.

Which left the last option, of heading to see the reindeer. Whilst he definitely had a preference for aquatic creatures, Nikolai was still interest in all creatures big and small, magic and non-magic. So, his feet turned towards the Quidditch pitch -- via the food table, when the boy stacked his plate a little more than necessary with super puffed pasty sausage rolls. Popping bite sized treat after bite sized treat in his mouth as he walked, Nikolai suddenly realised he'd not seen Mariah.

Or asked Mariah about the Ball.

Hastily stuffing his hand in his pocket, Nikolai pulled out his phone, and -- unsurprisingly -- found there to be no messages there.

"Bugger." He muttered to himself, considering his phone for a while longer before considering. Did Mariah like dancing? He couldn't picture the witch dancing, for some reason. It just didn't seem like her kind of activity. Of course, he could be wrong, she could be a really good dancer, but he just didn't... think it would be her thing. That led him to a similar conclusion about the princess fashion show, that definitely didn't seem like Mariah's kind of thing.

Would his friend have chosen snow sculptures or the reindeer, though?

The boy had paused mid step, his eyes turning to the snow sculpting area, considering the possibility for a moment. Mariah wasn't artsy, that much he was quite sure of. She was creative, yes, but not artistic, per se.

Nikolai's eyes turned back towards the Quidditch Pitch then, for a moment, at least, before he checked his phone once more. Yes, now he thought it through, she was more likely to be with the reindeer than any of the other places, so unless she'd fallen foul to other friends, or perhaps a buffet table, he was quite she he would find her here. So, slipping his phone back in to his pocket, Nikolai hurried up his footsteps towards the Quidditch Pitch, scoffing down the one too many sausage rolls he'd picked up on the way.

It took a short while to get there, but soon enough the makeshift stables came in to view, Professor Venizelos unsurprisingly in charge of this area. With a small nod towards his favourite professor, Nikolai's attention turned to the only other person currently here.

"Mariah!" Nikolai greeted happily, a smile gracing his lips because his deductions had been right! "I've been trying to find you! I realised I've been a total ass and didn't invite you to come with our group to the dance, which meant I didn't know where you were and I'm really sorry for no-"

Nikolai's explanation stopped as he took in Mariah's appearance that evening. He'd never really considered Mariah as a girl, truthfully. They were friends, and she was a girl, he knew that, but he'd never seen her as a girl. Until now. Now that she was dressed up quite nicely for the occasion they'd been presented with, without going over the top, and still looking...

"Beautiful..." The Slytherin male breathed, taking her in fully for another moment before he realised what he was doing, and quickly moved to explain. "You. You look beautiful." He said, something of a grin upon his features. How could you not be grinning when your best friend looked so nice? "Much better than any of the other girls this evening, too!" Nikolai added, but it wasn't an empty compliment. Everyone else had tried too hard to look how they did, but with Mariah... it was effortless.

"Figured you'd get away from the people, too, huh?" Nikolai asked, moving closer to the witch and reaching up to pat the reindeer she was stood with. The beast responded by knocking it's head against Nikolai's shoulder, making the boy wobble slightly where he stood because the force was quite something.

Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai) B9PKxb
Thanks to Kitty for the signature! <3
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai)   Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai) EmptySun Mar 31, 2019 9:52 pm

At the sound of her name, Mariah jumped slightly, startled, before turning around to find Nikolai approaching her. She broke into a grin and waved when she saw him. He had dressed up for the ball, but it seemed that, much like her, he hadn't wanted to make a big deal out of it, so his suit was much more casual than many of the other boys she'd seen.

She was about to reassure him that it was okay that he hadn't asked her to join his group - she didn't know many of his other friends anyway, so being part of a big group of relative strangers didn't hold much appeal for her - but then he cut himself off mid-sentence, looking dumbfounded. She returned his stare with mild confusion, wondering what had produced this reaction.

His next words sent a fierce blush across her cheeks, heat quickly spreading through her skin as her stomach did a funny sort of flip at the compliment. Nobody had ever said that to her before besides her parents, and she definitely hadn't been expecting this sort of reaction from Nikolai.

"Ah, heh," she chuckled nervously, tucking her hair behind her ear. "Th-thanks."

The next part of his compliment, however, brought a slight frown to her brow. She didn't think she looked prettier than any of the other girls. They'd all worked so much harder than she had, with their new dresses and their complex hairstyles and glamorous makeup. She couldn't possibly be prettier than them. She thought they had all looked stunning when she'd passed them on the dance floor.

Besides, it shouldn't be a competition. She wasn't trying to be prettier than anyone else. She wasn't sure she liked being compared to the others, even if it was a favorable comparison.

"That's not true," she chided softly, unable to meet his eyes. But even though she didn't want to be compared to the other girls, her ears were still pink and her face felt too warm, and her lips tugged unconsciously upward in a bashful smile. Nikolai thought she was beautiful.

"But you look nice, too," she added earnestly, preferring to focus the attention on him instead of herself. And he really did look nice, she thought. His outfit may not be as formal as the other boys', but it suited him somehow. It captured a bit of his personality.

She shrugged slightly at his mention of getting away from the people. "I'm not really much of a dancer," she explained. "So I figured I'd find something else to do."

She giggled as the reindeer headbutted Nikolai's shoulder, reaching out a hand to gently hold back the animal's muzzle, caressing it softly before moving her hand to scratch between the reindeer's antlers. It snorted.

"Professor Venizelos told me all of their names," she told Nikolai. "This one's called Sven. Apparently he's a troublemaker and he keeps trying to steal everyone else's food."
Back to top Go down
Nikolai Kessler
Hogwarts Head Boy
Hogwarts Head Boy
Nikolai Kessler

PostSubject: Re: Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai)   Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai) EmptyMon Apr 01, 2019 5:42 pm

Confusion touched Nikolai's features when Mariah told him that what he'd said wasn't true. Was she suggesting that he wasn't telling the truth about his own opinion, or refuting the compliment because she didn't think it was true? The boy didn't know, not having been in a position where his compliments were turned down in such a manner, he wasn't sure how to respond to that.

But, Mariah had a light tint of redness to her cheeks...

That was a good thing, right?

Or was she cold?

This was difficult...

A compliment came back his way and Nikolai let out a soft chuckle. "I put in as little effort as I possibly could, because I didn't think it would matter how I looked, truthfully, and, well... I don't know whether you saw the first dance, but apparently Jake and Professor Harrington wanted to embarrass me in front of the whole school by pulling me up to dance. Duly noted for next time, I might try to get a suit that matches."

The information about dancing was not surprising to Nikolai in the slightest. "I had figured as much, I hate dancing, too. Especially right now, I keep having growth spurts, and it puts everything way out of sync with each other. And everyone our age is shorter than me by quite a bit, which makes dancing with people even harder, and just, ugh." He commented, pulling a face that really showed how he felt about dancing more than words ever could.

Not to mention after being embarrassed by Mimosa, he wanted to forget all about the dancing ordeal.

Rubbing the spot on his shoulder where the reindeer had butted him, Nikolai took in the information that Mariah had given him with a smile blossoming on his features. "Sounds about right for this one, he looks cheeky, don't you Sven?" Nikolai asked, reaching up to pet the beast on the muzzle to show that he didn't really mean it.

"Though, I'm not going to lie," Nikolai continued, lowering his voice so that Professor Venizelos couldn't hear them talking. "I'm not sure racing reindeer is the best idea the professor's could come up with. Especially without any training. I mean, what if one of the reindeer gets hurt because someone doesn't know how to handle them? Or, gets too excitable and pulls their fur, or the reins in a direction that means the reindeer goes off track and in to barriers?"

The boy paused from rambling on further, Mariah knew how he wasn't fond of these things, especially after their DADA class where they'd had to freeze the lake, potentially harming the ecosystem of the Giant Squid and all of the other inhabitants of the lake. Taking a breath to try to relax himself back down, Nikolai continued on with a little more control this time. "They should have brought in professionals, and made it so we can bet -- not with real money because we're too young to gamble -- on the outcome, and then we could be more sure the reindeer aren't going to get hurt."

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai)   Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai) EmptyWed Apr 03, 2019 10:41 am

Mariah glanced thoughtfully up at her friend, a little concerned. Although he chuckled now, she could tell why he was embarrassed, and she hoped he wasn't too upset. She could imagine, had she been in his shoes, she would have been mortified.

"I've heard that people don't usually care as much as you think they do," she tried to reassure him, though knowing that rarely worked for her. "But in any case, I like it. It fits you," she explained. Something about the color combination, and even the lack of effort, made the outfit seem more personal. Genuine. Like he wasn't putting on a show for anyone else's benefit; it was just Nikolai being himself. She liked that.

She laughed softly at his complaints about dancing, nodding sympathetically. "I don't hate the idea of dancing," she mused. "I guess I've just never had anyone I wanted to dance with. And dancing with strangers just seems kind of...awkward," she laughed. "It's small talk, except you're too close to each other. I think I prefer dancing alone as a form of expression, as opposed to dancing with someone as a form of social interaction. But maybe if I found the right person I might want to dance with them."

She was thinking out loud, hoping she made sense, but she figured if anyone would understand, it would probably be Nikolai. He always seemed to pay attention, and to actually think about what she said. She appreciated him immensely for it. Most people just nodded and changed the subject.

Mariah remained quiet as he expressed his concerns about the reindeer. Truthfully, she hadn't thought about all the potential dangers of racing without proper experience, but now that he brought it up it really was a valid point. She nodded slowly as she thought about it, worry crossing her features.

"I agree. A lot of things could go wrong. I hope they've taken precautions, but...you're right. Both the reindeer and the students could potentially get hurt."

At his next suggestion, she bit her lip thoughtfully. It still didn't quite sit right with her, the idea of pitting animals against each other in any sort of competition, regardless of training. His idea would have been an improvement, eliminating some of the danger, but it still made her feel uneasy from an ethical standpoint.

"I don't see why it has to be a race at all," she started. "I mean, they've got the sleigh ride already. I feel like that's enough. I never really understood what's so amusing about forcing animals to compete against each other. It seems kind of cruel." She paused for a moment to gather her thoughts, her brow furrowed slightly as she absentmindedly ran a hand through the soft fur of Sven's neck. "I mean, if you want a competition, isn't it more satisfying to win on your own merit instead of making another creature do the work for you?"
Back to top Go down
Nikolai Kessler
Hogwarts Head Boy
Hogwarts Head Boy
Nikolai Kessler

PostSubject: Re: Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai)   Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai) EmptySun Apr 07, 2019 8:32 am

The compliment upon the attire being 'him' brought a smile to Nikolai's features, but he didn't pass comment upon it any further. Simply tucking away the knowledge that at least one person this evening thought he looked good. That was enough, wasn't it?

But Mariah was already moving on to talk about her own intentions with dancing, and why she didn't much like dancing with strangers. That much was completely understandable, small talk with people you didn't really know had always been challenging for Nikolai, so he could sympathise with the idea. "Yeah, especially if they're dull, or unhelpful with initiating small talk." He added, pulling a face at the thought. His biggest worry was the dull part, though, he always seemed to find himself around dull people, his present company excluded, of course. The idea of the right person, though, settled uneasily in Nikolai's stomach, and he didn't know why, but he didn't like the sound of that.

"Well... hopefully you'll find the right person, one day." Nikolai replied, somewhat carefully because even that didn't feel right to him.

But his attention was taken by the thought of reindeer, pushing away all worries of Mariah's dancing situation.

He realised, belatedly, that he hadn't considered the potential harm to the students, and after a moment, he wrote that off as not interesting enough to worry about, either. After all, they would be choosing to race, they wouldn't be forced like the reindeer, so if they got hurt, the risk had already been set out to them before they climbed aboard. Of course, Mariah would think of that side, though, and he made a note to try to remember this in future. For a more equal argument, at least.

"I would have thought people would have come around to such things by now, yeah." Nikolai replied in answer to her question about winning things for yourself. "But, it hasn't caught on yet. Apparently being cruel to animals is still something people get amusement out of." He admitted, as Sven turned to nuzzle his shoulder, enjoying the ear scratch Nikolai was giving him much too much.

"Even in the Muggle world, they're still practicing it. I don't know if you've heard of the Grand National?" Nikolai asked, knowing that the American witch was still getting up to date with English norms. "Horse racing, anyway, every year they compete, every year millions is placed in bets on the horses, and at least once every year, a horse is shot because it's broken it's leg whilst jumping for the amusement of these people."

Nikolai's explanation was interrupted by a large snort from Sven, apparently the reindeer did not like the conversation, and as the large head of the beast moved away from his jacket, Nikolai could see the snot of the beast clinging to him.

"Really, Sven?" Nikolai asked, trying to be stern but failing entirely because it was much too amusing. "Do you have a tissue?" The Slytherin asked his best friend, looking much too pleased for a boy who'd just been snotted on. But, Nikolai had always had a fondness for animals, and it could have been much, much worse.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai)   Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai) EmptySun Apr 07, 2019 1:04 pm

Mariah nodded sadly at Nikolai's statement. Forcing animals to compete with each other always reminded her of gladiator fighting for some reason. People had come to realize that forcing other people to fight each other as a form of entertainment was barbaric, why should the same be any different when it came to animals? She knew some things were getting better - dog fighting was illegal in most places, for instance - but there was such a double standard. Bullfighting was still okay, and even though racing seemed less violent on the surface, wasn't it basically the same concept?

She didn't know that much about the Grand National, but she was pretty sure it had to do with horse racing, so she nodded.

"Like the Kentucky Derby," she clarified. "We have something similar in America."

Her eyes widened though at the news of the horses getting shot. She hadn't heard of that before. That was terrible! She turned to look at Nikolai, as if to make sure he was being serious. She honestly didn't know that much about the Kentucky Derby either. Did they shoot horses there too? Her horrified expression was cut off by Sven as the reindeer made his presence known.

Had she not been recovering from such upsetting news, she would have laughed at Nikolai's reaction. As it was, the mood did lighten a little, though her frown only faded slightly. When Nikolai asked for a tissue, she nodded, extracting the crinkled napkin from around her now empty cup. She'd been using it to protect her hand against the heat of the drink, but she didn't need it anymore. She handed him the napkin, mind still preoccupied by their earlier conversation.

"Don't riders usually bond with their horses? I mean, even if the horse couldn't race anymore, I can't believe someone would just let it get shot. How can you train an animal without getting attached?"

She paused for a while, lost in thought. She really couldn't understand how people could lack empathy, both for animals and for other people. Was it really so hard to imagine yourself in someone else's situation?

After a long moment, she sighed, looking down at the trash in her hand. She wished she had somewhere to put it.

"Also, did you see a bin for this anywhere?" she asked Nikolai, holding up her empty cup. "I think there was one by the snack table, but I haven't seen any nearby."
Back to top Go down
Nikolai Kessler
Hogwarts Head Boy
Hogwarts Head Boy
Nikolai Kessler

PostSubject: Re: Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai)   Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai) EmptySun Apr 07, 2019 2:25 pm

Nikolai had not considered the complete effect of his explanation, in truth, when he decided to talk about the Grand National. Whilst it had upset him originally, he'd now come to terms with the fact that that was how the event was run. Horses died, people didn't seem to care, and each year, the race was run again.

Which was why he hadn't quite expected the frown on Mariah's features to begin with. It had thrown him momentarily, before he realised he'd picked a somewhat... less than topical choice of conversation for the Ball. And, it seemed he'd upset Mariah in some manner, too, which did not settle well for the boy.

There was a momentary distraction with the tissue, leaving Nikolai to sort out the mess the reindeer had left on his jacket to the best of his ability with a tissue and then wiping at the remaining damp batch in an effort to make it not show anymore. Not the best job in the world, but Nikolai didn't much care for how he looked now that pretty much every surprise had been announced and he was in no harm of being pulled to the stage again.

"I'm not sure how they do it." Nikolai replied, not knowing how else to answer the question. "I mean, if something happened to the Giant Squid, I would be devastated, but knowingly allowing something so terrible to happen to the Squid..." The boy shook his head at the thought, deciding not to carry on with that thought any further than it had to. "I guess they're not the nicest of people... Or... I don't know, you can't fix horses legs, truthfully. So, perhaps it's just... an act of kindness?" The boy posed, trying to make Mariah a little more comfortable that the people were doing the right thing in the end.

"It kind of makes it better." He summarised, though he wasn't convinced himself.

The question of a bin, though, made Nikolai frown, looking around them to see if he could see one. "I think the last time I saw a bin was by the food tables, too. Which is good, we can pick up some more sausage rolls, they were soooooo tasty!" The boy insisted, giving Sven one last affectionate ruffle behind the ear before turning back towards the event, pausing only to wait for Mariah to be ready to leave.

They would head off, meandering around the stalls, talking easily, as they always did, and -- in Nikolai's wise choice -- steering clear of talking about animal cruelty issues, because Mariah had looked much too uncomfortable with that, and he didn't want her to be uncomfortable around him. Ever.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai)   Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai) EmptyTue Apr 09, 2019 11:30 pm

Mariah considered Nikolai's suggestion, not entirely convinced. She tried to wrap her mind around it, but it just seemed so unfathomable to her. She understood that mercy killing was a thing - like when pets got sick and were in a lot of pain so you had to put them down - but a broken leg didn't seem like the same thing. Even if it wasn't able to be healed, the horse could still have a happy life, couldn't it? It didn't seem fair that humans got to decide what made a horse's life worthwhile.

And unlike sickness, a broken leg was preventable. The humans were responsible for putting the horse in that position in the first place, so that just made it even worse in Mariah's mind. She chewed her lower lip as she thought, then sighed as she remembered where she was.

This was a party. Their conversation shouldn't be so gloomy. Nikolai probably didn't want to talk about this right now.

"I guess that's possible," she finally relented, deciding not to push the matter any further.

She smiled at Nikolai's reaction to the thought of sausage rolls, her mood beginning to brighten again as they switched gears. She figured it would be good to get some healthier food in her as well - the cupcake had been good, but her parents would be disappointed in her if she called that dinner. With a final pat to Sven's neck, she fell into step beside Nikolai, waving goodbye to Professor Venizelos as they left the stables behind.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai)   Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai) Empty

Back to top Go down

Reindeers Are Better Than People (Nikolai)
Page 1 of 1