Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Day AU Harry Potter Roleplay Site for Original Characters

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
OOC Shoutbox
Current Plot
September 2028

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 108 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am
Latest topics
» Election Night (Tessa)
Elleon Caverly's Test Emptyby Chester Millstone Fri May 03, 2024 8:10 pm

» Back to Basics (Flying Lesson)
Elleon Caverly's Test Emptyby Josie LeBlanc Fri May 03, 2024 7:51 pm

» Look at these phtographs ( One shot)
Elleon Caverly's Test Emptyby Tessa Greene Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 am

» Night with old friends ( One shot)
Elleon Caverly's Test Emptyby Tessa Greene Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:47 pm

» The Awakening - Purple - February, 2010 (Alexagramma)
Elleon Caverly's Test Emptyby Alexander Quinn Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:34 pm

Unanswered Open Threads
None!
IC Chatbox

Elleon Caverly's Test

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

Birthday : 1992-08-13
Job/hobbies : Auror & DADA Professor

Elleon Caverly's Test Empty
PostSubject: Elleon Caverly's Test   Elleon Caverly's Test EmptyWed Jul 05, 2017 8:22 pm

As Elleon stepped in to the classroom, Jake stood from his desk, moving to the middle of the room and looking at the boy before him, he gave a small smile. Equipped for the Hufflepuff's presence, Jake pulled out a notepad and pen, he'd already prewritten the first message, and he gave Elleon a small smile to show the boy he believed in his abilities.

Your first challenge, Elleon, is to disarm me and place me in a Full Body Bind.

The words were quite clear, but, to be sure, Jake handed the piece of paper to the boy to be sure. With that done, Jake moved back to his desk and took up his wand, turning to the boy and motioning for him to make the first move. It was a test not of simply disarming, but of the boy's capability to think on the spot. This was not simply a test of the disarming spell, or even the full body bind, but a test of persistence, and the ability to work in a small duel.

Important Information:
1. Whilst Jake is both a professor and Auror, he is obviously not going to make this impossible for his students to pass this stage. Jake will, however, push a student to work to their potential.

As I do not know ALL characters inside out, I am allowing you to GM Jake pushing the character to achieving as much as possible.

2. I will not accept a post that writes a successful take down in two moves. Unless you can come to me with a very good reason how your character can take down a talented Auror, then I will deem this unrealistic, and will not post part two of your test.

3. You are expected to write the duel yourself -- I will not be posting as Jake other than to give the next steps in this lesson.

4. Have fun with this, explore your character, and use this as an opportunity to explore their capabilities.

5. If you need a specific reaction/action/comment from Jake to push your character further, please ask me before you GM so that I can confirm as to whether this is something he would do.

6. If you have any questions, please ask!

~ Auror ~ Profile ~ DADA Professor ~
~ In a Relationship ~ 36 ~ Father ~ 6' ~ American Accent ~
Elleon Caverly's Test Rsz_1j10
Back to top Go down
https://hogwartsandbeyond.forumotion.co.uk
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Elleon Caverly's Test   Elleon Caverly's Test EmptyMon Jul 10, 2017 1:59 pm

Jake was in the room to meet him, handing him a piece of paper with a written note. Elleon took it, nodding once he'd read it to show he'd understood. Before giving it back, he scribbled his own note on the other side of the piece of paper and showed it to his professor.

Don't go easy on me just because I'm Deaf.

He was Deaf. He needed neither pity nor sympathy. It was not something to be sad about and just because he was Deaf didn't mean he was less capable than his hearing peers. He had to work harder, and most of the time, he might fall behind, but that didn't mean he was less capable of magic than anybody else. One thing he had as an advantage was a greater sense of sight. Most Deafies - to make up for their lack of sound - had developed a better peripheral vision. That, coupled together with a few non-verbal spells he could do, had to help him somehow.

Even knowing that didn't bring him much peace. With his heart pounding in his chest, Elleon drew out his wand, eyeing his professor for a while as he came up with a strategy. Simply firing spells would do no good. Jake was a professional Auror and would most definitely be able to evade almost anything that Elleon could cast. At least the Full Body Bind was something he could do non-verbally.

He had no idea what he was going to do but he knew he had to take Jake by surprise. How he was going to accomplish that was still unknown. Jumping into a duel with no strategy wasn't the best idea but he had to start doing something. Aiming his wand at his professor, Elleon began casting a series of non-verbal spells as fast as he could, alternating between Expelliarmus, Flipendo and hoping that in the flurry of spells, Jake would miss one. But his professor was too good, dodging or reflecting everything Elleon sent his way. This wasn't working; he had to try something else.

Before he think of what to do next, Jake shot something toward him. Instinctively, Elleon whispered,"Protego!" As he saw the shield go up around him just in time to protect him from the spell, Elleon thanked Merlin he had worked on his pronunciation for that charm. He doubted that whatever spell Jake had used would hurt him, but that wasn't the point of this test.

He had to come up with a plan quickly. Eyes darting around the room, he searched for something that he could use, hoping to get inspiration from whatever his eyes landed on, but nothing came to him. His gaze returned to Jake just in time to see a bolt of light heading straight towards him. He ducked out of the way and cursed mentally, something he very rarely did. As he rolled out of the way of another spell, an idea came to his mind and he beat himself up for not thinking of it sooner. He cast another shield around him befroe setting hims plan into motion.

"Fumos," he whispered, watching as a thick cloud of smoke drifted out of the tip of his wand. It lowered both his and Jake's visibility, but his eyesight made up for his deafness and he could faintly make out his professor's sillouhette. He crept closer, keeping his footsteps silent and the smoke flowing from his wand.

When he thought he was close enough, he ducked, making himself a smaller target. Silently, he released a barrage of spells from his wand, alternating randomly between Expelliarmus and Petrificus Totalus. As the smoke cleared, Elleon saw that the Full Body Bind had hit home. With Jake under the spell, it was easy to disarm him.

[[OOC: Let me know if this is alright. If not, I'll rewrite Smile ]]
Back to top Go down
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

PostSubject: Re: Elleon Caverly's Test   Elleon Caverly's Test EmptySat Jul 15, 2017 8:41 pm

Seeing the note, Jake gave Elleon a nod to show he understood before they started. It wasn't so much that he was going to go easy on the boy, but he would feel bad if he discouraged the boy in his attempts at this test. Still, Jake took the words on board, and moved in position.

The work of the Hufflepuff was really good, Jake was impressed, even. The fog was a great idea, that left Jake with an incapability of being able to see. He knew the counter-curse, of course, but Jake didn't blow Elleon's bubble. Instead, trying to find the boy in the fog. Squinting hard but coming up short.

In an Auror situation, he would have raised his shield, moved himself from the situation. But he was against a boy. A boy who needed a lift.

So, when Jake was hit with the spell, it was no surprise when his arms locked to his sides, and he fell to the floor, rigid as a plank of wood. Proud of the Hufflepuff, Jake had to wait a few moments for the spell to be lifted, but as he got up, he was beaming.

Putting a thumb up to Elleon, Jake scrambled back to his desk, picking up a second piece of paper, but scribbling first on the back.

That was GREAT, Elleon! Well done!

Was the first note that Jake wrote to the boy. Before turning it over to show the instructions for the next part of the test.

You will know by now the Seize and Pull Charm. Many students will think that defending themselves will mean direct combat, however, this is not always the case. What we are going to achieve with this one, is to work through the objects, smallest to largest - getting quicker. You will need to use the Seize and Pull Charm to pull the objects from the air. Sounds easy, I know, but, we're going to do this whilst you also contend with water jets.

The aim is to not get hit by the water jets, but also not get hit by the objects flying in your direction too.

Jake then flicked his wand behind him to reveal said objects, before looking to Elleon to see if he was ready to begin.

Important Information:
1. Whilst Jake is both a professor and Auror, he is obviously not going to make this impossible for his students to pass this stage. Jake will, however, push a student to work to their potential.

As I do not know ALL characters inside out, I am allowing you to GM Jake pushing the character to achieving as much as possible.

2. The items being launched are open to your discretion, but I'm thinking a textbook, moving up to a cauldron, then maybe a table -- however, how big the object is depends on how well your character manages, once you decide on them failing, Jake will not launch another object in their direction.

3. You are expected to write this part yourself -- I will not be posting as Jake other than to give the next steps in this lesson.

4. Have fun with this, explore your character, and use this as an opportunity to explore their capabilities.

5. If you need a specific reaction/action/comment from Jake to push your character further, please ask me before you GM so that I can confirm as to whether this is something he would do.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Elleon Caverly's Test   Elleon Caverly's Test EmptyTue Jul 25, 2017 3:32 pm

Breathing heavily, Elleon took a moment to recuperate from his exertion. He wasn't made for physical activity. Quite the opposite, actually. Where guys liked working out and having abs, he preferred sitting down with a sketchpad or easel, bringing to life something that existed only in his mind.

The time Jake took to get out of the body bind allowed Elleon to catch his breath and he took the piece of paper offered to him. His heart sank. Oh, the compliment was great and it comforted him to know that he hadn't done too badly. But when he read what was coming next, he knew that he wouldn't do too well on this one. Not only was it difficult to pronounce, but he would need to be quick at casting the charm, on top of using all his strength to move the objects while dodging jets of water. Piece of cake! he thought sarcastically.

As Jake revealed the objects, Elleon's eyes scanned them, wanting to see what he was contending with. The largest he saw was a cupboard of sorts, and the smallest was a quill. He felt like giving up right then but his determinatin won through. He might be fighting a losing battle, but he would go down fighting hard and make all Deafies proud. Taking a deep breath, he nodded at his professor to begin.

The first thing to come flying at him was the quill. He pointed his wand at it, trying to cast the spell verbally and failing. Stupid pronunciations! He tried again and succeeded, but wasn't ready for the spurt of water coming straight at him. If he didn't have good peripheral vision, he'd have missed it altogether. In an effort to dodge the water, he lost his hold on the quill and had to start all over again.

He got the spell right on his second try, getting a hold of the quill again and quickly moving it away before ducking from a stream of water. He had to evade a few more jets before a textbook came in his direction. It was coming too fast for him to think and he surprised himself when he managed to do it non-verbally. His shock was his downfall. Too surprised that he'd done it non-verbally in one try, he hadn't seen the jet of water coming at him. It hit him like a bucket of ice and he gasped, dripping wet, as he moved the textbook out of the way and returned his attention back to the task at hand.

The next thing he had to contend with was a cauldron. It came flying at him, and learning from his previous mistake, he made sure to evade the water before casting the spell. But he wasn't prepared for how heavy the cauldron would be. The moment the charm latched onto the cauldron, he was pulled towards it instead of the other way around. With a grunt, he tried to dig in his feet, but the water made everything slippery. His feet lost their grip he went falling to the floor. Instinct made him put up his arms in front of his face as the cauldron came sailing towards him. The hard hit never came, the object bursting into a bunch of feathers instead and sticking on his wet clothing.

Elleon closed his eyes, letting his head fall back onto the floor as he tried to regulate his breathing. He could feel the ache in his muscles and bones, and he still wasn't done yet. Once rested, he got up on his feet to see what his professor would say.
Back to top Go down
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

PostSubject: Re: Elleon Caverly's Test   Elleon Caverly's Test EmptySun Jul 30, 2017 2:46 pm

Elleon was working really hard, Jake was watching him intently as he worked. The boy did not give up despite the difficulties he had compared to others, and that was something Jake was immensely proud of him for.

As the objects continued on, Elleon was dealing quite well as the sizes grew, until the cauldron. Jake knew it would be hard, it was a heavy piece, which would need more concentration, but Elleon hadn't factored that in, it would seem. Watching the Hufflepuff slip from his feet, and the cauldron explode in to a mass of feathers, Jake stopped the test.

Elleon stayed where he was for a moment or two, and Jake couldn't really blame him for that, so, instead, Jake simply tidied the room, and Elleon up before grabbing the paper and pen from his desk. On his way back, he levitated the trunk at the back of the room to the middle of the room, sitting on it as he quickly wrote down the next lot of information for Elleon -- only after handing the boy a chocolate, and miming that he should eat it.

It would help his energy levels.

The next part, I am not going to tell you what you're up against. Sorry! Just let me know when you're ready, and we will begin.

Jake held it up for Elleon to see, a sheepish smile on his face. All of the students were being treated the same, though, and Elleon was no different. Once he was sure Elleon had read it, Jake moved away to his desk, leaving Elleon stood before the trunk he'd moved in to the middle of the room.

Important Information:
1. Your character will now be facing a Boggart. You will need to decide what shape this takes, and whether your character is capable of overcoming their fears to defeat it.

2. As you may have noticed, Jake is really pushing the students with this test. Their magical capabilities will likely be tiring due to the psychical exertion of everything before now. This is done to really push them, and I'm not expecting the responses to be perfect.

Likely, they'll be exhausted!

3. You are expected to write this part yourself -- I will not be posting as Jake other than to give the next steps in this lesson.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Elleon Caverly's Test   Elleon Caverly's Test EmptyWed Aug 02, 2017 5:17 am

As Elleon stood up, he realised that Jake had somehow gotten him dry and taken the feathers off him. He shot a grateful look at his professor, thinking that it wouldn't be at all comfortable if he had to do the next test with sopping wet clohtes and feathers stuck all over him.

He hadn't expected the chocolate but was more than welcome and though he hadn't done very well, it was a reward nonetheless. He finished the chocolate and disposed of the wrapper before looking up to see what was next. As he read what was written, his mouth dropped into a small 'o' shape. Jake wasn't even going to let him prepare for what's coming next? It could be anything! And he wouldn't know what to expect.

But he'd come so far. There was no way he was giving up now. Whether or not he could pass the next test was debatable but he would at least try.

He gripped his wand tightly, staring at the trunk in front of him. Anything could be in there and he would have to deal with it soon. He closed his eyes for a moment, trying to steady his nerves. Once he felt he was sufficiently calm, he opened his eyes and nodded at his professor.

The trunk opened and at first there was nothing. But then a figure appeared before him and his eyes widened in shock. It was him. He was seeing an image of himself. He was signing but judging by the frustration on his face, nobody could understand him. He was pulling at his hair, eyes brimming with tears as he tried over and over again to make people understand him.

It was one of his worst fears come to pass and Elleon could feel his heart thumping, the panic rising in him as his breathing quickened. No, no, no. He needed to be understood. He needed to be able to communicate.

This isn't real. This isn't real. This isn't real he chanted in his mind. It was a boggart, a creature playing on his fears. What was the defense? Right. Riddikulus. With trembling hands, Elleon raised his wand and said the word. Nothing happened. No, this wasn't right. He had to think of something funny. Concentrate. Come on. An image appeared in his mind and Elleon grasped onto it before casting the charm again.

"Riddikulus!"

The Boggart morphed into his sister mistaking one sign for another. It was a childhood memory and one of the only times he'd ever laughed out loud. They were learning ASL and she'd confused the signs, asking if he wanted a 'virgin' when she meant to ask him if he wanted 'vegetables'.

As before, a laugh bubbled out of his throat, enough to dispell the Boggart and leaVing Elleon breathing a sigh of relief.
Back to top Go down
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

PostSubject: Re: Elleon Caverly's Test   Elleon Caverly's Test EmptyTue Aug 08, 2017 7:28 pm

The shock on Elleon's face made Jake feel a little bit bad for continuing in the same manner for the boy as he was for all the other students. However, Jake reasoned with himself, if he didn't treat Elleon in the same manner as his other students, he would not be grading him in a fair manner. That, therefore, made the professor stop himself from explaining.

When Elleon denoted he was ready, Jake moved away, wand at the ready, and watched the young boy take on the Boggart.

Taking in the form of the Boggart, Jake watched with a small frown upon seeing a second Elleon come in to view. It took a moment for Jake to understand, and then he couldn't help but feel sorry for the boy. But, Jake didn't move to help the boy, instead watching carefully to see how Elleon would take the creature on.

The first attempt was a fail, and Jake readied himself to help when nothing happened. Elleon, though, was resilient as ever, and continued to try to defeat the creature. Jake was proud of him for keeping going -- and though the professor did not understand what was funny, he joined in Elleon's laughter to dispel the Boggart.

Once it had slunk back in to the trunk, Jake flicked his wand to place the lock back in place before moving to Elleon, one final bar of chocolate for the Hufflepuff held out between them as his left hand gave the boy the thumbs up to show he'd done well.

Waiting for the boy to make eye contact, Jake slowly spoke the following words. "Well done, Elleon. You have done great! I will send your results later, make sure you eat the chocolate, and rest up for the rest of the day." With that, Jake motioned to the Hufflepuff that he could go when he was ready.

OOC Info:

Grade:
Outstanding.

House Points: House Points: 40 points = 10 points for each stage successfully completed + 10 points for detail in writing.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elleon Caverly's Test   Elleon Caverly's Test Empty

Back to top Go down

Elleon Caverly's Test
Page 1 of 1