Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Day AU Harry Potter Roleplay Site for Original Characters

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
OOC Shoutbox
Current Plot
September 2028

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 108 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am
Latest topics
» Election Night (Tessa)
Boring Family Reunions [Open] Emptyby Chester Millstone Fri May 03, 2024 8:10 pm

» Back to Basics (Flying Lesson)
Boring Family Reunions [Open] Emptyby Josie LeBlanc Fri May 03, 2024 7:51 pm

» Look at these phtographs ( One shot)
Boring Family Reunions [Open] Emptyby Tessa Greene Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 am

» Night with old friends ( One shot)
Boring Family Reunions [Open] Emptyby Tessa Greene Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:47 pm

» The Awakening - Purple - February, 2010 (Alexagramma)
Boring Family Reunions [Open] Emptyby Alexander Quinn Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:34 pm

Unanswered Open Threads
None!
IC Chatbox

Boring Family Reunions [Open]

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Boring Family Reunions [Open] Empty
PostSubject: Boring Family Reunions [Open]   Boring Family Reunions [Open] EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 3:07 pm

Bennett liked his family, but he didn't like being singled out as the youngest one. The adults sat at the table in front of him, all wearing accomplished smiles and smug looks as they told everyone else of their childhood. It didn't seem like much, so Bennett sat at his own table, drawing them as they mingled between one another. His eldest cousin, Oliver, was too busy telling everyone about his new job as Healer. "The exams were quite easy, really." He confided, making his parents puff up like prideful birds. Bennett's mother was already talking to him about what he wanted to do after school, and Bennet just looked up to Oliver and Matthew (his other cousin, Ollie's brother) for their advice, but he didn't like Healing as Oliver did and he certainly wasn't an adventurer like Matthew was. The only two role models Bennett had in his life were as different as peanut butter and mustard, leaving Bennett wondering who to take in as sole role model. "They gave me the uniform already, I start on Monday!" Oliver continued, everyone cheered for him and congratulated him.

Everyone seemed to like his choices, and Bennett couldn't blame them. There had been a dark time in Oliver's life, when he was around sixteen or seventeen. Oliver was a pure soul, or so everyone said, he wasn't capable of hurting anyone or anything - he was truthful, brave, and selfless. Expect during his Dark Phase. Even then, Oliver had managed to stay quite noble, if not as happy as he used to be. At least he hadn't killed anybody. That was the first experience Bennett had with love - it was pain, it had enough power to break a person's spirit. As Bennett thought on that, Matthew spoke up - "Will we go to Ireland this summer?" Bennett could hear the slight hint of coldness in his cousin's voice even though they were pretty far away from each other. For some reason that Bennett wasn't sure of, something between Oliver and Matthew had changeda few years ago. They spoke to each other as they were brothers, but the undertones beneath their voices and actions were too loud for Bennett to ignore.

It seemed that the family was too much for Bennett to handle. He wasn't a Bennett, and he wasn't a Fox. The irony in that thought brought a smirk to his face; he was Bennett Fox, but he didn't quite fit in with the Bennett family, nor the Fox family. As he filled in the shadows of his Uncle's hair, Bennett realized he hated family reunions. They just sat there, at the Three Broomsticks, every month, to talk about themselves and their lives. He wasn't going to lie, he liked Oliver's stories very much because he was the one who often included Bennett in the reunions, but still. Most of the time Bennett sat alone, drawing or reading, pretending to be too busy with something else rather than to ask and answer questions he didn't care for. He really just wanted to go skiing, and the only person who would take him would be either Matthew or Oliver, so he would have to ask them after dinner if they could go. Of course, Matthew would bring his annoying redhead girlfriend. Nobody in the family like her except him. Glancing at his blue-eyed cousin, as if Matthew could somehow heard Bennett's thoughts, he sighed in relief when the older boy didn't snap at him. His family was weird, and the point of it all was that Bennett felt like an outcast. He was, after all, the surprise child of the youngest Bennett and a famous Quidditch player who - as some of the family said - was as responsible as a magic bean.

Without paying anymore attention to what they were all saying, Bennett got lost in his drawing, sitting at a completely different table from where the rest of his family was simply because he was a child. Out of the corner of his eye, he thought he saw his mother glance at him, just very briefly, before turning back to her chatting. Great life he had.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Boring Family Reunions [Open]   Boring Family Reunions [Open] EmptySat May 02, 2015 3:05 pm

Being in third year meant that Finley could now go to Hogsmeade. However, he wasn't overly happy with going to Hogsmeade on his own, without Naomi. Naomi was his best, and probably his only, friend. But he'd promised to come back and tell her all about the village, as well as promising to bring her something back so that she wouldn't feel left out.

Finley had promised not to be long, because he would miss his best friend, but his curious nature insisted that he go anyway.

So, with the rest of the school except the first and second years, Finley had hurried along to the village and in to the sweet shop, he'd filled his bag with as many sweets as he could afford to share with Naomi, whilst leaving himself enough money to try the one beverage he'd only heard of from the older years. Butterbeer.

It intrigued Finley to know what it would taste of, so he'd moved in to the packed bar to get one. Talking over the din hadn't made it easy for Finley to tell the lady behind the bar what he wanted, not to mention his stutter had grown worse after the second time of being asked to repeat himself. Finally his order had been delivered though, and Finley turned around with the glass of Butterbeer in hand, trying to find an empty table.

But, of course, there wasn't one, and Finley let out a soft sigh before noting the table with just one person there. Moving over, Finley stood by the table awkwardly for a moment, noting the boy in question was drawing. He didn't want to disturb him...

"H-hi." Finley spoke softly, mostly so the other boy could pretend not to have heard him. "C-can I sit w-with you?" Finley asked, not looking at the boy properly, just his shoulder so he could pretend to make eye contact. Inwardly he was hoping the boy would say yes, then he could drink his Butterbeer quietly, not disturb him, and then leave.

Hopefully.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Boring Family Reunions [Open]   Boring Family Reunions [Open] EmptySun May 03, 2015 7:20 am

The pencil moving across the page swiftly, Bennett tried to ignore the lingering shadow over him for a few seconds before deciding it was too rude of him to do so. Looking up, he saw a boy a bit younger than himself. He was going to motion to the spot across from him, but the kid began stuttering. Bennett had never heard someone actually stutter, so he was taken back by it. Realizing that must also be considered very rude, he nodded his head. "You are welcome to. They don't care." He said, nodding his head towards the rest of his family. "They probably won't know we're here anyway." He resumed his drawing for a while, not uncomfortable at all with the silence.

"Do you go to Hogwarts?" Bennett asked without looking up from his work, continuing to sketch lines and curves across the page. "I'm Bennett Fox." he introduced himself. Really, Bennett was glad to have someone there. Even if he was probably annoying the kid with petty introduction, Bennett felt better trying to communicate with him than he did a few minutes ago when he was only half listening to his own family. "That's my mom." He nodded to the lady with the dark, wavy hair. "She doesn't really act like one. That's why I said they wouldn't care if you're here. I mean, we could practically leave for Italy and they wouldn't even notice." Bennett wasn't sure if he was ranting to this stranger, and he hoped he didn't mind, but he felt a bit better.

Putting his pencil down, he looked at the boy. Really looked at the boy. He had soft feminine features, dakr hair and blue eyes paired with fair skin. He seemed friendly enough. "I don't know why untold you that. My boots aren't as heavy now, though." He concluded, resuming his drawing but with very little interest nowm
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Boring Family Reunions [Open]   Boring Family Reunions [Open] EmptySun May 03, 2015 3:21 pm

The moment the boy said it was okay for him to sit down, Finley did so before the boy could change his mind. Of course, if the other boy had changed his mind, the Ravenclaw would have left as quick as he'd been told to, but that was neither here nor there right now.

Sipping on his Butterbeer, Finley remembered a moment later. "T-thank you." The boy managed, briefly looking up at the other boy before concentrating on his drink once more. Finley gave a small smile about people not knowing they were there, in honesty, that was just a normal day for him, so he really didn't mind about that.

The other boy didn't seem to want to leave him in peace though, and when he was asked if he went to Hogwarts, Finley nodded. "R-Ravenclaw. Third y-year." He explained, giving a small shrug in a hope to look 'cool'. Of course, it didn't work, it was Finley, he simply wasn't ever going to be cool. The introduction made Finley look up, taking in the boy's features and allocating them to the boy before him. "F-Finley Allen." Finley explained, motioning to himself the way he always did despite the action being unnecessary.

The information he was given probably wasn't information the boy, Bennett, should be telling Finley, but he tucked it away anyway, nodding to show he was listening and casting a glance towards the woman in question. His family were much the same, but Finley didn't speak about his parents, he'd barely told Naomi about his parents, and she was his best friend.

"It's o-okay." Finley managed to assure Bennett as he said he didn't know why he'd told Finley so much. Normally people ignored him completely, so it was new that someone actually trusted him with such things. But, instead of continuing with that conversation, Finley tried to work out what Bennett was drawing. "A-are you drawing some... something in p-particular?" Finley asked, genuinely curious at the other boy's actions.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Boring Family Reunions [Open]   Boring Family Reunions [Open] EmptyMon May 04, 2015 5:58 am

When the boy thanked him, moments after taking the seat, Bennett simply nodded. However, when he told Bennett of his year and House, he noticed the shrug. "Well, why the shrug? Do you not like your House?" Bennett was a clear example of people who didn't feel like they belonged in the house the dumb sorting hat had chosen for them. Bennett's uniform may say Hufflepuff, but his heart yelled Ravenclaw. Still, he told none of this to the boy sitting across from him.

Bennett was an observer. He paid attention to everyone, to their actions and choice of words. Therefore, he could tell Finley was going to be an okay person to be around. He didn't say much, and it bothered Bennett only slightly. Finley could be as quiet as he wanted to be, Bennett wouldn't publicly say anything. "Do you always stutter, Finley?" He asked, unable to keep the curiosity to himself.
"I've never stuttered, nor had anyone close to me do it. You're the first person I've met who does it." Bennett shrugged, hoping he hadn't offended Finley. He wanted to ask him if it was due to a traumatic experience from his childhood or if it was actually a medical condition. Bennett had no answer to his questions, but Finley did. Finley could enlighten him on the matter.

He was glad, however, that Finley had chosen to change the topic from Bennett's crappy family to the drawing. It wasn't much of a change, though, as Bennett was actually drawing them. Squirming a bit, Bennet glanced at his family before turning his attention back to Finley. "It's them." He admitted, somehow feeling lonelier than before. Turning his drawing around to make it easier for Finley to see it, Bennett pointed at the first figure, the one to the left edge of the margin. "That's my cousin, Ollie." He said, nodding to the 20-year-old with the bright, Jolly Rancher blue eyes. "Then there's his father, and my stepfather, and then my mom." He explained, pointing at the figures without faces that rested on his paper. "I can't quite draw facial features yet, so I try to catch their essence so they'll know who they are even if they can't see their own face."

Without meaning to, Bennett blurted out, "Do you draw, Finley?"
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Boring Family Reunions [Open]   Boring Family Reunions [Open] EmptyMon May 04, 2015 1:05 pm

When the shrug was picked up on, Finley froze. Maybe that wasn't a cool thing to do? For a moment he tried to think of an answer, before he spoke. "N-no. I l-love Ravenclaw." Finley insisted, hoping that this was now the right answer. He didn't explain why he'd shrugged because it seemed silly now.

"What... what h-house are y-you in?" Finley asked, because he couldn't quite tell which house the boy belonged in yet.

Finley looked down at his hands when the conversation went to his stutter. Bennett at least wasn't rude about it like the girl had been in the summer, but Finley didn't like attention being brought to it. Or himself. But it was a little too late now. So he nodded in response to the question, a little too conscious of his stutter to speak until he'd assured himself that it was going to be okay.

The comment about not knowing anyone else who stuttered made Finley smile ruefully to himself. "I-it's not o... overly c-common." He explained shyly. Finley wished that it was more common so people didn't treat him differently, but that was life.

The Ravenclaw looked up slightly when the picture was turned, focusing on the figures on the paper as Bennett explained each of them. They were good, much better than he could do. "They... T-they're good." Finley explained, looking up to Bennett just enough to show the small smile on his lips. He knew these things took time, as with anything, but Bennett was already very good.

About him drawing though, Finley let out a small, nervous laugh and shook his head. "No." He managed, though he had managed something for Naomi over the summer, he couldn't draw without spending absolutely hours perfecting a single line. And then, he took to tracing to make them look somewhat realistic.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Boring Family Reunions [Open]   Boring Family Reunions [Open] EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 8:36 am

Bennett nodded at the boy's answer. "Ravenclaw is probably the best House, I think. Slytherin is a close one as well. I don't really like Gryffindor or Hufflepuff.It's not the people I dislike, but the values." He explained. "I understand how ambition and wisdom are great traits, but why bravery and kindness? Those two usually lead to trouble." When Finley asked him what house he was in, Bennett almost cringed. He dreaded that question in every conversation despite the fact he always brought it up. He could always tell a person's major traits by the house they were in.

"Hufflepuff." he muttered, standing by his opinion on why Hufflepuff was a pretty useless house.
He was glad the talk was now about Finley and his speech impediment. "I didn't mean to be rude. I'm just curious." Bennett said flatly. He really hadn't mean to make the boy feel uncomfortable, which he could tell he was by the way he looked down at his hands. Bennett was very observant, much more than he should be maybe. "Do you think there'd a spell for it? Or a potion? That would be cool." Though he wasn't very sure how stuttering even happened, he figured there must be a way to cure it, at least for a day.

"Thanks." Bennett returned Finley's smile. Of course, Bennett already knew they were good. Bennett was a good artist, and that was a profession he also held up on his list of options for after his future Quidditch career ended. Finley didn't draw..."So, what do you do for fun?" Bennett raised an eyebrow in curiosity.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Boring Family Reunions [Open]   Boring Family Reunions [Open] EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 4:16 pm

Finley listened to the boy as he spoke about the houses, correcting Bennett as he made mistakes about the traits in his head. Well, not mistakes, just underestimating the qualities. Though, Finley would agree that bravery and kindness could get you in trouble, but that didn't mean you shouldn't be either of them.

However, Finley said none of this because his debating skills weren't good enough to put his point across, and it seemed Bennett had already made his mind up, no matter how wrong it might be. Instead, Finley just nodded, and gave a shrug on the matter in response, hoping the other boy would believe that he didn't know.

When Finley found out that Bennett was a Hufflepuff himself, Finley was quite shocked. He didn't think someone would be so against a house if they were in it. But, he supposed Bennett had his reasons. "W-well, at least... at l-least the Sorting H-Hat thought you were k-kind." Finley supplied in a manner he hoped would help, though he wasn't sure it would.

When Bennett said he didn't mean to be rude, Finley could tell he meant it. Not like the girl from the ice cream shop. He just got very self conscious when people pointed it out. Obviously, he knew it was very prominent, but he liked it more when people pretended he wasn't stuttering. Never mind. "It's o-okay." Finley replied, glancing up at the boy and giving him a small smile that he hoped would convey that it was okay to ask, but he was nervous still.

The question on a potion, or a spell made Finley shake his head a little bit. "I d-don't think so. B-but I haven't... I haven't l-looked." The Ravenclaw explained, a little sheepishly because he probably should have thought about that himself, and yet here he was.

When he was asked about what he did for fun, Finley paused, wondering whether he was supposed to go with the honest answer, or whether he should make something up. So far, however, Bennett didn't seem the kind of person who would judge him for doing something. "I l-like to read. And... I s-started a-archery with my b-best friend." Finley explained, and then he fell quiet, he didn't have a lot of time for things outside of reading, truth be told, but that was what he liked to do the most.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Boring Family Reunions [Open]   Boring Family Reunions [Open] EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 3:34 am

"Don't get me wrong, I like people from all the houses. I'm not discriminating anyone." He said, trying not to sound too arrogant. Really, he wasn't being rude to either of the latter houses, he just didn't understand why the houses were even houses at all. He was close to explaining why he didn't think courage was a good trait, using his former Gryffindor friend as an example, but soon decided against it because it was still too personal. Sure, most kids knew Ivan as the prankster but none of them saw him as the reckless idiot Bennett knew he was. Just the memory made Bennett frown.

He looked at Finley like the boy had said the most offensive thing to him. Then, his look quickly softened, feeling bad about it. "I suppose so." he nodded, "But I'd rather be wise than kind." That sounded worse outloud than it did in his head, but Bennett stood by his opinions. "Anyway, enough of this House talk" he gave Finley a small smile, then when the talk moved on to the possible potion-cure Bennett lit up. "Well, if there isn't, maybe you can invent one!" He was sure that would be a terrible accomplishment, if it hadn't yet been done yet.

Reading and archery. "That sounds fun!" he said, referring to the archery part. Bennett loved reading, of course, but he liked the idea of archery as he had never tried it himself. "Who's your best friend?" he asked, "Maybe I know him or her." Bennett wasn't sure if this best friend of Finley's was a boy or girl, so he had to be sure he wouldn't offend anyone.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Boring Family Reunions [Open]   Boring Family Reunions [Open] EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 8:02 pm

When Bennett said he'd rather be wise than kind, Finley couldn't help but smile to himself, taking a moment to formulate an answer in his head. "Y-you know." Finley started, swallowing once because he'd gotten stuck on the next bit. "You c-can be more than one t-trait." Finley explained, pausing once more as he rooted around for an example, before one fell perfectly in to his lap. "L-look at the Head Girl. S-She is v-very smart, but s-she is also very n-nice. A-and." Again, Finley paused. "If y-you believe the r-rumours, she used to be p-paralysed. So to w-walk, t-that's ambitious."

The Ravenclaw hoped that this made sense, because to him the houses were never black and white. Someone couldn't simply fit one. But Finley dropped it from there, hoping Bennett would understand what he was trying to say.

The idea of inventing a cure for his stutter was one that Finley had thought about a lot, but he wasn't sure what the cause of his stutter was, so he doubted you could cure something if you didn't know the cause. Instead, he simply nodded in response, offering a smile to Bennett but not an answer.

At the question of who his best friend was, Finley paused, was it not obvious? But then he remembered he wasn't exactly popular. "Her n-name is Naomi. N-Naomi O'Hare. She's a R-Ravenclaw too." Finley explained. He wasn't sure if the boy was going to try and steal Naomi, but he hoped not, he would be lost without Naomi. "S-She's a second y-year." Finley added, because he didn't know what else to say about Naomi. Not without going off on a tangent about how wonderful she was, anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Boring Family Reunions [Open]   Boring Family Reunions [Open] Empty

Back to top Go down

Boring Family Reunions [Open]
Page 1 of 1