Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Day AU Harry Potter Roleplay Site for Original Characters

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
OOC Shoutbox
Current Plot
September 2028

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 108 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am
Latest topics
» Election Night (Tessa)
The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]  Emptyby Chester Millstone Fri May 03, 2024 8:10 pm

» Back to Basics (Flying Lesson)
The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]  Emptyby Josie LeBlanc Fri May 03, 2024 7:51 pm

» Look at these phtographs ( One shot)
The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]  Emptyby Tessa Greene Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 am

» Night with old friends ( One shot)
The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]  Emptyby Tessa Greene Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:47 pm

» The Awakening - Purple - February, 2010 (Alexagramma)
The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]  Emptyby Alexander Quinn Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:34 pm

Unanswered Open Threads
None!
IC Chatbox

The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]  Empty
PostSubject: The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]    The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]  EmptySat Jul 06, 2019 8:32 pm

Swords, fans, and oriental block prints of every color lined the crowded walls of the sixth-floor classroom that Andrei Kessler had come to call home. Strangely enough, he found the room much more comfortable than the headmaster's office. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that there were only students here? No irritable board members, irksome sponsors, or needy staff members. Or maybe it had something to do with the colorful Chinese-style dragon that now danced close to the ceiling? Whatever reason it was, freedom from responsibility or creative freedom, Andrei much preferred his Ancient Runes classroom to any room in the castle.

And so, sitting behind his desk in his domain of choice, the headmaster was at peace. His students, however, would undoubtedly be quite the opposite. Those who were taking his class this year would have received a summer reading assignment and today—the first day of class—he would see who really did their homework in spite of the break from school. Naturally, he expected there would be a few who didn't bother to read it, but he hoped that most of the class would have at least attempted it.

The reading itself wasn't even all that academic, which he hoped would have general appeal. Reading in Terracotta, by Sima Qian, was more so a popular history book with a few runic references woven in it. Plus, who didn't like the idea of an entire army of terracotta animated through the use of magic? It was an instant classic; hopefully, his students agreed.
Back to top Go down
Nikolai Kessler
Hogwarts Head Boy
Hogwarts Head Boy
Nikolai Kessler

Birthday : 2011-11-11

PostSubject: Re: The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]    The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]  EmptyMon Jul 08, 2019 6:57 pm

Summer reading. Typical of his dad to be that kind of Professor who wouldn't give his students a break over the summer. Not that Nikolai minded, of course, he'd read through a great many books during the summer break, but only one of them had been through necessity rather than personal choice. Of course, Nikolai had already read the book they'd been given, but upon rereading the book, he remembered why he had quite liked it in the first place.

Not that he would admit that aloud.

The class had been slating the Headmaster all the way to the lesson for his summer assignment, internally conflicting Nikolai as he both wanted to agree, and defend his dad's choices. Sure, he could shit talk his dad, but that didn't mean others were allowed to. But, seeing as he didn't wish to draw unnecessary attention to the link between him and the Headmaster, Nikolai kept quiet, only managing to contain his eye roll as Mimosa explained that she obviously hadn't completed the homework, because she'd been way too busy all of the summer.

True to form the group of Slytherins, Ravenclaws, and Gryffindors that followed Mimosa around entered his dad's classroom as one, many marvelling at the new layout, others pretending not to be impressed, and in Nikolai's case, not really showing any kind of reaction because this was quite normal for his dad. Showing off his artefacts as if people still cared about them.

Following Mimosa to their seats (after she'd given her usual welcome), Nikolai took out his books, placing them on the desk and retrieving his pen before his hand found Mimosa's again, firmly noting to Ji Hyun that nothing had changed over the summer, and just because Mimosa had text the other boy more than she had Nikolai (but only because Ji Hyun kept sending her a multitude of boring pictures and messages) didn't mean he'd won the witch away from him.

The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]  B9PKxb
Thanks to Kitty for the signature! <3
Back to top Go down
Mimosa Harrington
Hogwarts Head Girl
Hogwarts Head Girl
Mimosa Harrington

Birthday : 2013-08-13

PostSubject: Re: The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]    The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]  EmptyTue Jul 09, 2019 4:51 pm

Ever since the girls had first retreated to their dorms after the sorting feast, only one question had been lobbed Mimosa's way, albeit in different variations. A question the girl honestly had no idea how to answer. It had started with a giggle from Constance and then a knowing grin from Catherine but in the end, even Emily had partaken with an annoyed "So what's the deal with you and Squid Boy, are you boyfriend and girlfriend now?"

Unsure how to deal with a situation where she wuss uncertain in any way, Mimosa had merely flipped her hair and said that Mercy was her girlfriend, which had send Catherine and Constance into another round of giggles. "We don't mean in that way," Constance had clarified, helpfully adding that Mercy idn't kiss the young American on a frequent basis.

But then again, neither did Squid Boy. He had kissed her the one time, and then he hadn't done a thing except hold her hand or sometimes put his arm around her waist. Did that constitute as dating? There was some disagreement with Emily and Constance saying no but Catherine saying yes. Apparently she was the only one of them who had the most "experience" in these things, in that she and Charles had started going out maybe two weeks before he had moved on to Constance and then back to her.

Since then, Mimosa had been trying to avoid the topic, all the while aware that she was being watched when around Squid Boy. The idea didn't really sit well with her but she couldn't explain why. Being with Squid Boy wasn't uncomfortable, being watched with him somehow was. And the young brunette would have spoken about it with Mercy but Mercy was fast becoming hard to find these days.

That afternoon, as the girls had decided to skip lunch (a new diet idea of Catherine's) to get ready for Ancient Runes afterwords, talk had once again turned to their respective relationship statuses. Emily had quickly checked out of the conversation by saying she was happy with her cat which left Catherine and Constance to dissect Mimosa's dalliance with the older Slytheirn. The lack of any updates clearly frustrated them but it gave the young American hope. If they had nothing to talk about, they might stop talking soon.

"Come on, we're going to be late to class," she uttered annoyed, grabbing her scarf from its hanger and tying it neatly around her throat to disguise the fact that she had her top button undone. Once again, the shirt was not sitting right on her slender frame.

As always, Squid Boy was waiting for her in the Common Room, talking to Karan about something or other. Almost absentmindedly, he took her hand, the witch earning a wink from Constance that conveyed the promise they would discuss this after class. The little witch made a note to disappear into the Gryffindor Common Room straight after to avoid her dorm mates.

Conversation to class mostly consisted of the summer reading, which Mimosa had not done but she had been busy. Everyone would understand that. Besides, from what Seema was yammering on about the book, it sounded like a movie Mimosa had once seen about a Chinese emperor who wanted to be buried with his city. So surely the material wouldn't be so difficult to catch up on.

"Hello Profess-- Oh! Is that a flying worm????" the child squealed as her eyes landed on the new decor. "And look, fans! Sir, my Grandmere has a fan, she says she'll teach me how to use it when I'm older! Did that come from your Grandmere too?" Unbidden, an image of the headmaster in flowing silk robes and shining long hair conjured itself in her mind, the man hiding his face coyly behind an elaborate fan. The thirteen year old let out a giggle before Squid Boy led her away to their seats, her mood now vastly improved.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]    The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]  EmptyFri Jul 19, 2019 5:11 pm

"That's a dragon," Andrei replied, already knowing his words would surely go in one ear and out the other when it came to the Harrington girl. "And those are from the late seventeenth century Qing dynasty."

He gestured to one of the more elaborate fans on the wall with a splash of crimson across it depicting a stork in flight. He'd found the piece in a curiosities stall while living in Hong Kong. Most Muggles discounted such places as tacky tourist traps and, Andrei would readily admit, most of them were. However, some of these out of the way shops were more than they appeared, especially if one were a wizard. Past false walls and curtains of inert firecrackers one could truly find a whole different Hong Kong than met the eye. Indeed, the stork fan, in particular, had the ability to summon a stronger than normal breeze owing to the rune-engraved jade running down its tines.

The Headmaster's son, on the other hand, received only a curt nod as he always did. As much as the father in him enjoyed embarrassing his son away from school, Andrei restrained himself at Hogwarts; kids needed their space just as much as adults.

"Welcome back, class," he stood and began once the last nearly tardy student slipped through the door. "I hope you all enjoyed your break and are ready to jump back into your studies. As you should all know, we'll be starting with a quiz on our summer reading. It won't be worth much grade-wise, but it will allow me to see who actually did the assignment and will serve as a good introduction to the rest of this year where we will be focusing on animation of the inanimate through runework."

Pulling his wand from within the folds of his robe, the man gave it a flick and sent the stack of papers on his desk out into the classroom where one sheet would come to rest in front of each student.

"You will have forty-five minutes to complete this," he said, replacing his wand and taking a seat once more. "I expect your responses to be both thoughtful and supported by evidence from your summer reading, good luck."

He then fell silent and allowed his students to begin as he watched with a careful eye for any potential cheating. Thankfully, he had yet to punish anyone for such an infraction, but there was always a first time for everything.

Exam Format:

OOC Answer Key:
Back to top Go down
Mimosa Harrington
Hogwarts Head Girl
Hogwarts Head Girl
Mimosa Harrington

Birthday : 2013-08-13

PostSubject: Re: The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]    The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]  EmptyFri Aug 02, 2019 2:09 am

The Headmaster made quick work of the students, barely giving them time to settle into their seat before springing a surprise quiz on the class. The papers flew towards them as one, separating later on to land on individual desks, making the room collectively groan. Not Mimosa though, the child was confident she would ace whatever it was they were being tested on. The brunette's gaze returned to the floating worm, it was from the Qing dynasty apparently, and the name seemed familiar.

Turning over her page, the witch began reading, holding one of the special quills she had been given by the doctors who had come to play with her that one summer. Ever since Jacques and Clara had taken her to LA to meet with the nice people, all her quills had been replaced on the Clement heir's orders. The reading though she had to struggle through on her own as Mimosa refused to wear glasses of any kind.

Reading in Terracota Exam
Name: Mimosa Harrington-Clement
Year: Fourth Year Slytherin <3

Below you will find six questions, please answer them to the best of your ability. You will be graded both on your use of examples from the reading and on the completeness of your answers.

1. Did you read this book? If you did, would you recommend it to a friend, why or why not?

Nope, I was waaaaay too busy over the summer to read the book. I was in India first, then I was in Italy for the World Cup. You should know this as you were there too, Professor! Did you have time to read the book then? Anyway, after that I was in France for my Grandparents' twenty fifth wedding anniversary, its like a birthday of their wedding day! And then it was my birthday and all my friends came to the palace and we all had so much fun. We had an Indian theme and all the rides and sweets and costumes and then it was time to fly back to London and hang out with my Jacques and my Godmother an then I came back to Hogwarts. So i really didn't have nay time to read the book.

But I do know about the terracotta warriors of China. You see, when I was sixyears old, I was part of a movie made on them. I played the emperor's adopted child who esc
aped the buried city before it got buried. I didn't like reading scripts and someone else reading it to me was so boring so instead I watched a documentary to prepare for the role. You should look up my work online and I'm sure you'll find the movie, I'm really good in it!

I would definitely recommend the movie and even the documentary to a friend because the documentary is kind of cool and I'm in the movie but not the book, it might be boring. Oh, maybe I can recondite it to Squid Boy, he likes that kind of stuff!

2. Muggles and Wizards alike agree that rivers of this element encircled Qin Shi Huang's tomb, what was this element and what is its function in runework?

From the documentary, there was lots of water around the tomb. But the people didn't call it water, they called it by the name of a planet. Mercury I think. Anyway, I thought it was really weird and the people said that maybe it had some healing properties but it clearly didn't since the emperor was dead. So either he was really bad at potion making or his potion makers were really bad at it.

I don't know what Mercury could be used for in Runes, it certainly can't heal or keep your alive or even standing. Maybe it can be splashed on to things to smooth them out before runes are carved on them? it would look really glistening and pretty I suppose.

3. Sima Qian notes that each terracotta warrior is unique in appearance, why is this significant for the runes housed inside each warrior?

Cause it would be weird to have all the warriors look exactly the same? In real life, two people don't look the same. That's how you tell who's pretty and who isn't. I mean, if you look at me and then had the misfortune to look at Lilac, you'll understand. I think the person who made the warriors also knew how unsightly Lilac Capulet is and he/she wanted to make all kinds of warriors, ones that were pretty like me and ones that were just okay like everyone else. Oh except the ones that look like Mercy, those are super pretty too. And my Grandmere, and Clara, and Kiranjeet... Actually, were there any girl warriors?

4. True or false, terracotta is a good medium for runework, explain your reasoning.

I don't think it's a good medium because a lot of the statues broke when they were found. If terracotta was so good at preserving the people and stuff, it wouldn't have broken. I mean, the shell has to be strong enough to last a while if the emperor wanted to rule forever. I think he had the wrong idea about howw to rule forever. He should have done what the Clements do, pass on the knowledge and wisdom to the next generation. Like my Grandpere learned things from his Papa and now my Jacques is learning from my Grandpere. That's the only real way to make sure one family stays in power forever, Grandmere told me when I was little!

She also told me that women are the most important feature of a dynasty and I don't think this king had any in his court. Maybe that's why he died underground like that? If there was a woman around she would have told him using terracotta was stupid. So the answer I believe is false.

5. Why were the terracotta warriors made?

From the documentary, the king was a bit mental. He wanted his whole army to go underground with him. He thought that when he woke up again, he would need servants and soldiers and subjects to rule over and they were also supposed to protect him when he was cosplaying as Princess Aurora in his tomb. And I guess the person who made them also had a lot of artistic creativity so he or she had to do something. And maybe there was a Seer with the group who predicted that one day in future, we will be made to study this so that's why they were made? My Godmother is a Seer but she would never contribute to giving us more homework. If she saw me getting homework in future she would tell me to bail on the class. Clara is awesome that way!

6. Discuss whether you agree with Qian's conclusions in regards to the origins of the runework found on the terracotta figures.

I can't really agree or disagree because I didn't read the book, and the documentary didn't cover his views on the origins of runework though I guess the emperor's people couldn't have just invented the idea out of the blue. They must have been inspired by other such things, like for examples Golems. the big stone thingy not the turtle shell Pokemon, I used to get confused about that a lot until Ashley explained the difference to me. Actually where is Ashley? I didn't see her on the train or at the sorting? Do you know where she is? You might know her as Lyra Fletcher, she transferred here last year...

Having finished her work, the witch looked up with a jubilant grin. She had finished before everyone else. Even Seema who considered herself super smart was still writing, ink staining her fingers and flying onto ehr blue tie. How unladylike!

Seeing as the rest of her classmates were still working, the thirteen year old flipped her parchment over to the blank side, starting on a sketch for a new ballgown she had been designing earlier. Maybe she could finally get the silhouette right this time?

Back to top Go down
Nikolai Kessler
Hogwarts Head Boy
Hogwarts Head Boy
Nikolai Kessler

Birthday : 2011-11-11

PostSubject: Re: The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]    The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]  EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 9:18 am

The progression in to the lesson was quick, something that Nikolai was quite grateful for, instead of the usual lecturing style of his father's teaching. As their tests on the summer reading floated down before them, Nikolai took a moment to read over each of the questions before he brought out his pen and bent down over the paper to begin his work.

Reading in Terracota Exam
Name: Nikolai Kessler
Year: Fourth Year

Below you will find six questions, please answer them to the best of your ability. You will be graded both on your use of examples from the reading and on the completeness of your answers.

1. Did you read this book? If you did, would you recommend it to a friend, why or why not?
I didn't have a lot of choice, the Ancient Runes professor would have killed me if I didn't read it.
It would depend on the friend. If I was recommending a book to Mariah, then yeah, I would recommend it to her, because she would find it interesting and probably want to talk to me about it afterwards.
But I wouldn't recommend it to Mimosa, or Charles. They wouldn't get it.

2. Muggles and Wizards alike agree that rivers of this element encircled Qin Shi Huang's tomb, what was this element and what is its function in runework?
Mercury.
Mercury is used as a binding agent in runework. Usually used to prep the materials that are going to be inscribed. Obviously, Mercury can kill you, so you have to go careful when using it to make inscriptions.

3. Sima Qian notes that each terracotta warrior is unique in appearance, why is this significant for the runes housed inside each warrior?
It's not. The statues were made to look unique before the runes were applied.

4. True or false, terracotta is a good medium for runework, explain your reasoning.
False. As shown by the lack of activity in the terracotta upon the finding of the tomb, it did not hold the magic stored inside it, as was expected from the emperor.
It would be assumed that this material was more freely available at the time.

5. Why were the terracotta warriors made?
To protect the emperor in his final resting place. Muggles believed it to be less literal than it actually was, but effectively, the army was there to protect the body of the emperor. As seen in the book, though, this wouldn't have actually worked because the terracotta army was unable to actually move upon being opened.

6. Discuss whether you agree with Qian's conclusions in regards to the origins of the runework found on the terracotta figures.
One would assume that the likeness between the soldiers and those statues found in the caves have been confirmed to be quite alike before being written inside the book. However, having not seen both the soldiers and the cave statues to decide whether they are similar, it is difficult to denote an agreement without first having more information to work with.

With a soft sigh, Nikolai pushed the paper away and sat back. The test was stupid, his dad knew he'd read the book more than once, so why did he need to fill this out? He doubted the rest of the class had truly read the book over the summer like they'd been asked anyway. But at least the first lesson hadn't been too taxing for them.

Or, not for him, anyway, looking across at Ji Hyun who looked to be ready to pull his hair out because he hadn't done the summer assignment was enough to make it worth it.

The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]  B9PKxb
Thanks to Kitty for the signature! <3
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]    The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]  EmptySat Aug 24, 2019 9:05 pm

A wave of his wand at the appointed time drew all the papers back to Andrei's desk without incident. Though a few of the more unprepared students were still scribbling away until the last minute, it seemed—from what the Headmaster could tell—that much of the class had finished on time. Perhaps next time it would have to be a bit more challenging? He much preferred one or two more questions than his students might be able to finish without rushing. After all, most people could do reasonably well if given enough time; a test of mastery came when both speed and accuracy were tested, but that would be for another time.

"Thank you, class," the professor's eyes flicked to the clock on the wall. "That's all the time we have for today, but be sure to pick up a syllabus on your way out and get a headstart on next week's homework."

Accenting his words, the dull resonant tones of the distant clock tower tolled out the lunchtime hour. Much like previous years, Andrei's class had the unfortunate distinction of being scheduled right before lunch. The only real redeeming factor to such a time was that the classroom cleared out rather quickly as it did currently with students hurrying off to enjoy their lunchtime respite from classes for the day.

---
Thread Closed etc. etc. etc.

Mimosa Harrington, Slytherin: 4 points for attendance+10 for technically correct answers = 14 points
Nikolai Kessler, Slytherin: 4 points for attendance+26 points for the actual correct answers = 30 points
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]    The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]  Empty

Back to top Go down

The Study and Appreciation of Ancient Runes: Lesson One [All Years]
Page 1 of 1