Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Day AU Harry Potter Roleplay Site for Original Characters

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
OOC Shoutbox
Current Plot
September 2028

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 108 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am
Latest topics
» Election Night (Tessa)
I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea) Emptyby Chester Millstone Fri May 03, 2024 8:10 pm

» Back to Basics (Flying Lesson)
I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea) Emptyby Josie LeBlanc Fri May 03, 2024 7:51 pm

» Look at these phtographs ( One shot)
I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea) Emptyby Tessa Greene Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 am

» Night with old friends ( One shot)
I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea) Emptyby Tessa Greene Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:47 pm

» The Awakening - Purple - February, 2010 (Alexagramma)
I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea) Emptyby Alexander Quinn Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:34 pm

Unanswered Open Threads
None!
IC Chatbox

I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Azalea Murray
Head of Slytherin
Head of Slytherin
Azalea Murray

Birthday : 1993-08-13
Job/hobbies : Deputy Headmistress at Hogwarts

I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea) Empty
PostSubject: I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea)   I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea) EmptySun Nov 01, 2020 4:07 pm

"So, any word from Alex?" The crisp Thursday afternoon saw Jake and Azalea finishing work and heading towards her car. November was truly in the air with fall slowly giving way to winter and the winds on the cusp of turning chilly. For now, their light coats would suffice, needing to be traded for something heavier a few weeks down the road.

They had gotten very good at it, the witch thought as they crossed the school boundary, their bodies automatically shifting closer as her hand slipped into his. They had managed to find spaces to be close in and amidst the crowds, hidden just barely out of sight.

Thursdays had unofficially became family fun days for the Newburies and Azalea, it being the only day both Jake and herself could pick up the kids together. As soon as the kids had realized this, there had been a small mutiny in the car, demanding McDonalds and a late dinner. Now, it had almost become routine for them to pick up the kids on Thursdays, take them to a fun tea somewhere and then bring them almost certainly hyped on sugar in the case of Adrienne home.

Today's putting however would serve a duel purpose.

The witch listened as Jake explained how far his accountant had gotten, doing her best to understand. Even after all the explanations, the best Azalea could do was to grasp that someone had stolen money and sent it offshore. Why they had done it and how they had done it, the witch couldn't say. And Hensley, neither could Jake as he attempted to understand what his previous accountant had been up to.

They approached the black minivan a few minutes later, Jake moving to the driver's seat without discussion. Whenever he was around, he always drove. A responsibility Azalea had no problem giving him. Conversation about his finances carried them through half the journey, until the brunette finally caught his gaze in the mirror and spoke the words she didn't want to.

"It has to be today," she insisted as the traffic light turned green and Jake moved the car forward. "We have to tell them earlier that I won't be around, for Christmas... We can't tell them last minute." It was already the final Thursday of November and schools would be closing from the 22nd of the next month. Her two weeks of holiday would be in Wales, that was non negotiable. Anything else would arouse too much suspicion.

It would also mean the Newbury children would have the loneliest Christmas of their young lives this year. No grandparents, no Victoria, no Azalea or Clara. Just their dad and them.

"Maybe you could take them to Disneyland or something?" she suggested as they pulled into the school's pick up lane. Adrienne and Ivan were at the very end fo the line, the title girl just having spotted them and waving frantically while her brother tried not to be embarrassed.

"You know, take their mind off everything. They'll just sit and be bored at home. Might as well distract them by taking them somewhere fun."

Back to top Go down
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

Birthday : 1992-08-13
Job/hobbies : Auror & DADA Professor

PostSubject: Re: I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea)   I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea) EmptySun Nov 01, 2020 4:39 pm

Thursday had come back around, and with it the excitement that came with a Thursday evening with the children. Something that took their minds off of the fact Azalea would not be coming home tomorrow, or the next night, nor Sunday night. Jake couldn't say how many weeks in to their new agreement he'd found Thursday's to come with the weight of having Azalea leave for three days, nor did he want to know. It was just the night that they tired the children out with as many activities as possible, and then spent the rest of the night filling the unspoken spaces with one another's presence.

As they stepped out of the school gates, Azalea drew closer to him, and Jake found her hand within his own feeling ever so normal now. As if it had never gone away.

The question of his finances was raised, and Jake let out a soft sigh before he started to explain. Alex Quinn had been quick to draw his attention to the money being moved offshore, just as HMRC had said. The question of whether he'd sanctioned it had, without a doubt, put Jake's back up as he insisted he wouldn't do something like that, the response from the man had been an 'okay' before he'd fired off a list of different questions about what he had and had not given his accountants the permission to do, and then he'd finally denoted he would have to trace the transaction back to its origin, and from there, the person who had done it.

Jake's question had simply been if he would be getting the money back.

Alex's laugh had not been clear to Jake, but the 'leave it with me' had pretty much brought the conversation to an end. To say he didn't much understand what was going on was an understatement, and his explanation to Azalea wouldn't be much better, either. The confused look on her features only making it more evident. Jake finalised all of his explanation with the simple 'it's going to be fine!' as he reached over for her hand, threading his fingers between hers as he brought it up to place a kiss in to the back of her palm to reassure her of his words.

A manoeuvre around a roundabout, and the two had stepped in to the murky ground that they had been trying to navigate around for the last month. There wasn't another way, not without rousing suspicion with Josh, and Jake found himself being the one to settle with what he did have once again. He didn't mind. He understood. But the children...

"We have to tell them earlier that I won't be around, for Christmas... We can't tell them last minute."

"It doesn't have to be today..." Jake tried to counter, but the look on Azalea's face showed that he was only putting off the inevitable. They couldn't wait until it was too close. He'd already told the children that their grandparents wouldn't be coming for Christmas. A part of him had hoped... perhaps stupidly, that Azalea would be joining them for the Christmas break. But that was all it could have been, hope.

"Maybe you could take them to Disneyland or something?"

Azalea carried on with how it would be a distraction as they joined the queue of parents picking up their children, and Jake gave the idea thought for a few moments. "Would you like to come with us? If we were going to Disneyland?" Jake asked, and the look on Azalea's features made him regret it almost as soon as he had asked. He hadn't meant this holiday, but another one, when the four of them could be... but that line of thought was squashed with the look on Azalea's features, and in turn, Jake managed a soft sorry as he pulled up to the children.

The back doors slid open with the click of a button, and Adrienne scrambled in to the back seat first, followed by her brother who looked thoroughly put out with his sister's excitement.

"Where are we going today? Where where where?" Adrienne asked, leaning over the front seat to give Azalea a hug and then moving over to give her dad a kiss on the cheek. "Hi Zay-lea!" The child added as she bounced in to her seat.

"Seatbelts first," Jake replied, turning in his seat enough to watch them both do it. Ivan, as always, reached over to check Adrienne's was fastened for both of the adults to see before they turned back and pulled away from the curb. "So, where would you two like to go this week?" Jake asked, checking the road before he pulled back out and then looking back at the two kids in the mirror.

"Not McDonalds!" Ivan replied in the same moment his sister replied-

"McDonalds!"

"We went last week, Adrienne!" Ivan grumbled in return.

"What about..." Jake started, looking across to Azalea in that moment. "Pizza Hut? With the unlimited ice cream machine, and the salad bar that Azalea likes?"

Adrienne considered, and then looked to Ivan.

"Ice cream!!!!!" Adrienne squealed, and her brother rolled his eyes.

"Only if I get to choose our pizza!" Ivan countered to his sister. Again the youngest Newbury considered, before nodding eagerly.

"Pizza Hut it is then!" Jake confirmed, heading towards that part of town as he asked the children about their day, Azalea took the reins from there, asking additional questions whilst he concentrated on the roads, and trying to keep Adrienne's excitement to a more... subtle level where possible.

~ Auror ~ Profile ~ DADA Professor ~
~ In a Relationship ~ 36 ~ Father ~ 6' ~ American Accent ~
I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea) Rsz_1j10
Back to top Go down
https://hogwartsandbeyond.forumotion.co.uk
Azalea Murray
Head of Slytherin
Head of Slytherin
Azalea Murray

PostSubject: Re: I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea)   I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea) EmptySun Nov 01, 2020 5:11 pm

Once it had been decided that today's destination would be Pizza Hut, the minivan set off once more, now two passengers greater and a whole of of excitement added courtesy of Adrienne Newbury.

"So, how was school?" Azalea began as Jake focused on the road. This question would normally be answered by the children in usual fashion with Ivan recounting what he'd learned and Adrienne rolling her eyes and declaring "boring". Today however, it was Ivan who was quick to give a noncommittal shake fo the head while Adrienne shouted "Ivan has a girlfriend!!!"

"She's not my girlfriend!"

"Is to! Is to!" Adrienne insisted, her voice growing higher with her conviction. Ivan on the other hand looked like he would prefer nothing more than to sink into his seat and vanish from view.

"Well come on then, don't hold out on us kiddo?"

"She's not my girlfriend" Ivan tried once again. "I just lent ehr a book."

"Yeah huh, and she returned it with all the yucky hearts drawn all over the first page!" His sister revealed with a giggle. "You should see it Zay-Lea, it's icky. She even wrote their names in the hearts."

"And what is her name?"

"It's..." Here, the little girl paused, canting her head to one side as she thought it over in a an adorable intimation of how Jake looked when deep in thought. one ticks must be territory, the brunette mused as Adrienne struggled to remember. "It's a big name."

""Iolanthe," Ivan murmured.

"Isla!" his sister confirmed with a grin. "She's a nerd"

"She's not a nerd" Ivan defended the girl he claimed was not his girlfriend. "She just liked to read and she borrowed my book."

The rest of the journey was spent debating whether young Isla was Ivan's girlfriend or not (a sound no from Ivan and a thorough conviction of as from Adrienne) until they pulled into the parking lot fo the Pizza hut and Ivan finally lost his patience.

"She can't be my girlfriend, Adrienne. Azalea is dad's girlfriend, Isla doesn't stay with us or picks us up from school!"

The car grew quite for a moment, both adults unsure of what to say until Azalea pushed her door open. "Come on guys, we're here. Last one in has to eat the salad first!" Those were apparently the magic words needed for the children to forget all about their current discussion and scramble to unclasp their seat belts. In the next five minutes, all four of them were seated in a corner booth, their pizzas ordered and salads ready to go.

"Now remember everyone," the brunette began, a visage of seriousness on her features. "There will be absolute no making fun of anyone who prefers pineapple on their pizza. Otherwise no ice cream, and yes I'm talking to your dad too," she finished, breaking into a grin. His insistence that fruit didn't belong on pizza was heavily opposed by Azalea asking for extra pineapple on hers. As one, the chlordane burst into laughter just as their first pie arrived.

"Time to dig in, pineapple and all"

Back to top Go down
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

PostSubject: Re: I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea)   I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea) EmptySun Nov 01, 2020 5:46 pm

The news of the day was not what Jake had expected to come from the children. At the note that Ivan had a girlfriend, the man's eyebrows raised without him truly realising that he'd done it. His son had never... well, he was eleven. The thought of his children getting to an age where 'boyfriends' or 'girlfriends' came in to the mix was one that he wasn't used to -- even with Mimosa and Nikolai's... well, he put that aside because he didn't want to think about it.

Ivan's insistence that Isla was not his girlfriend was fruitless, though, because the more he protested, the less everyone believed him. The more he defended the girl in question, too, the clearer it was he might have... well, if not a girlfriend, then a friend he was very fond of. The joking about Ivan's girlfriend, though, was cut quite short with the boy's jab back at the two adults.

"She can't be my girlfriend, Adrienne. Azalea is dad's girlfriend, Isla doesn't stay with us or picks us up from school!"

Neither Jake nor Azalea had any idea how to reply to that. Neither one of them looked at each other, either. No, the moment in which Ivan dropped that bomb, the two adults were completely unsure on how to reply. Jake tried to find something to say to make the situation better, but the thought of denying Azalea was... well, he couldn't say she was... and-

"Come on guys, we're here. Last one in has to eat the salad first!"

Jake's brain kicked back in in that moment, opening his door and exiting the vehicle. Not quite fast enough to beat the children or Azalea, but he caught up with the three of them pretty easy, his hand finding Azalea's just as comfortably as it had back at Hogwarts. If the witch looked over at him with anything to say, he would simply shrug it off with something akin to 'they already know', but without making too much of a scene out of it.

They were seated shortly after, Adrienne hidden behind the tall menu as she tried her best to read through the options. Two short seconds later, she had pushed it down flat on the table and denoted that she wanted that one. Jake had had to explain that she couldn't have the one with jalapeno peppers on it because she wouldn't like it, which was responded to with a pout, before he pointed her to a safer option instead. A moment of contemplation as Jake read through the toppings for her, and Adrienne confirmed that was what she wanted.

Ivan had studied his a little closer before picking his own. Jake had picked his usual heavily covered meat pizza, whilst Azalea went for the disgustingly fruity pineapple pizza she normally chose.

With a wrinkled nose as the witch ordered, Jake had moved off to help the children get their drinks from the unlimited supply, and had followed a very slow walking Adrienne back with her glass that was almost too highly filled for a child who was as hyper active as she was. Ivan had already made it back to the table with his own in half the time it took the remaining Newburys to reemerge, and was clearly thinking about asking a question to follow up on his statement in the car before he thought better of it.

The arrival of his dad and sister had stopped all ideas of asking completely.

As they sat with Adrienne leading the conversation about her own day -- which included playing football with the boys -- the pizzas had arrived, which silenced the youngest Newbury entirely as she reached for her first slice without consideration of pretending to be patient.

"Careful it's not too hot," Jake reminded the child, who blew on her pizza only for show before hurriedly tucking in as if the pizza would disappear if she didn't devour it quickly. The rest followed suit with a little less gusto than Adrienne. A few bites in, and Jake decided that he was going to do as Azalea had recommended.

"So, Azalea and I wanted to talk to you both about something." Jake started, watching Ivan put down his pizza and look between both adults with worry, and Adrienne look curiously at them for a second before continuing on with her pizza. "When you two are on Christmas holidays next month, Azalea isn't going to be able to come and see us, because she has to go and see her family for a couple of weeks."

Adrienne paused in her pizza eating, and looked to Azalea for confirmation.

Confusion touched Adrienne's features, and then she took another bite of her pizza, still frowning in return.

"Christmas break is for two weeks, though." Ivan pointed out, looking from his dad to Azalea, and then repeating. "Why can't you spend some of it with us?"

Jake tried to find the answer to that one, but wasn't sure he was best placed to answer that.

"Bwut, you 'ave to spend Chr-"

"Adrienne."

The young witch swallowed. "Christmas with us. Otherwise Daddy will be all on his own. Aunty Vic and Nanny and Grandad aren't coming."

"Azalea has her own family, though, Adrienne. But, she'll be back after Christmas, and... we can have a second Christmas, together?" He offered, though it wasn't exactly for the children's benefit, as much as trying to help Azalea to balance both the lives she was living at the moment.

Back to top Go down
Azalea Murray
Head of Slytherin
Head of Slytherin
Azalea Murray

PostSubject: Re: I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea)   I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea) EmptySun Nov 01, 2020 6:22 pm

To his credit, Jake chose the safest time to broach the subject, when the pizza was there and the children were munching happily. Bu they weren't as little as they used to be, and the way Ivan put own his slice to contemplate the information he was given just proved that. Even Adrienne found time in between bites to frown at this new revelation.

"Azalea has her own family, though, Adrienne."

"But aren't we her family too Daddy?" the child asked innocently, looking up at the Auror big bit hopeful eyes. Not Ivan though, his gaze was trained straight on the witch, his small body hunched as if expecting an attack.

"Of course you are" Azalea reassured the children with a smile. "In fact, don't tell the other guys but I like you better,' she added with a wink, dispelling the slight tension at the table.

"Which is why, your dad and I talked, and we're coming up with a super special Christmas for the four of us only! What do you say to an early Christmas?" Both children dropped their pizza at this, looking at her with equal parts puzzlement and curiosity.

"What do you mean?" Ivan was the first to ask.

"Well, we were thinking we could have Christmas on the 21st instead. We can put up the tree in December, we can wrap presents, I can bake you guys cookies an we can have a big Christmas dinner on Monday. That way, you guys will be the only ones to celebrate Christmas a whole four days early, isn't that great?'

Adrienne, who had been in the middle of chewing, stopped. Remembering the warning from earlier, she quickly swallowed her bite before raising the most important question she could think of.

"Do we get to open presents early too?"

"Yes you do"

"Yay! I'm in!" she enthused before turning to her food again. "Early Christmas is a god!!"

"What about you, Ive?" Azalea asked, turning her attention to the older child.

"Are you sure you can't be around during the break?"

'Fraid not, kiddo. Though I wish I could, I really do."

"It's okay, we can do the... the early Christmas thing." Having reluctantly agreed, the eleven year old turned back to his pizza, albeit much less enthusiastically this time.

Ivan's quiet mood persisted throughout the meal and the drive back, not that Adrienne noticed. The youngest Newbury now too hyped up on sugar was practically bouncing off the car's interior and it took some doing to pursue her to leave the car and get indoors for a bath. Once the chlordane were back home and changed out of their uniform, it was homework time. Azalea gave Jake kitchen duty while she sat with the chlordane, sorting the mail and making sure Adrienne's handwriting wasn't too illegible.

"There's a note from the Ministry saying you haven't RSPVd to some Charity Gala for St. Mungo's," she called out as Adrienne began to doodle. 'No, sweetie, follow the lines," Azalea corrected reaching to put a hand over the child's and correct her pencil marks.

"Don't wanna!" the little witch pouted, making Azalea put down the letter. I showed how comfortable she had gotten in the Newbury House that she now had no problem opening their post.

"Tell you what, if you finish your homework, I'll tell you a secret."

"What secret?"

"You have to finish your work to find out."

Adrienne promptly went back to work, the promise of knowings secret fueling her through the next few pages.

Once homework was done and the books put away, the sun had set and a light dinner was ready. No one was really hungry and most of the soup made went back into the refrigerate but it carried the churner through to the next hour where Adrienne and her father tried to build a house of exploding snap cards while Ivan read in the corner. Azalea cleaned up in he kitchen and joined them a little while later and then it was time for bed.

Jake rounded them up for bed in what was now becoming a routine and herded them off, leaving Azalea to make their usual bedtime coffee and tea in the kitchen.

And trying not to think of how Ivan hadn't said very much all evening, after finding out she wouldn't be there for Christmas.

Back to top Go down
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

PostSubject: Re: I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea)   I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea) EmptySun Nov 01, 2020 7:02 pm

The evening had... gone well enough. Jake had not expected it to go without a hitch when he told the children that Christmas wouldn't be as they might have been expecting. Both of the children had taken it in their stride quite well, though. The promise of an early Christmas had seemed to placate Adrienne, but Ivan had gone quiet. As much as they had tried to be upbeat about it all, the promise of an early Christmas had not been enough to keep him from worrying, that much had been clear on the boy's features.

When they'd gotten home, Ivan had been similarly quiet. Jake had left him to his book, though kept a close eye on him whilst he played exploding snap with Adrienne. The man wasn't too worried, though, the boy needed time to process everything that was going on in their home, and Jake wasn't going to push him too quickly for being okay with the situation.

As usual, Azalea and he had gotten through the evening with the abundance of entertainment until both children were ready for bed. Jake had put them down for the sleep on his own whilst Azalea busied herself in the kitchen. The witch would pop in later, Jake knew that much as he tucked Ivan and Adrienne in to bed and kissed each of them good night. Ivan had been quiet, not really wanting to talk too much, and Adrienne had sleepily asked him if it was really true that they were allowed to open their Christmas presents early. Jake had told her once more that it was true, and the young witch had smiled sleepily in to her teddy, telling him that Azalea and he were the best.

Jake had returned to the kitchen in relatively good spirits, moving behind Azalea as she wiped down the kitchen surfaces. "Ivan's still not talking too much." He told the witch, placing a kiss on her shoulder, through her shirt. Azalea had reiterated what Jake had already decided on his way back from upstairs, they would let Ivan talk to them when he was ready, but remind him that they were there when he wanted to talk.

The soft sound of acknowledgement from the man's lips as pressed a kiss at the base of the witch's neck, earning the small shudder of anticipation that he could elicit from her body with the smallest of touches. The smile played on his lips, as his hand moved to the button at the front of her jeans. The sound of his name on her lips that was meant as an admonishment didn't really do it's job.

Nor did the arching of the witch's back in to his as his hand slid inside the unbuttoned jeans.

Jake had carried Azalea up to their room in the aftermath of their release. The cup of tea and coffee that had been made by the witch had been knocked over at some point, neither one of them had noticed when that had happened, and for now it wouldn't matter. Neither one of them had really cared for that, though, instead drawing everything they needed from one another. Putting Azalea down gently on the bed, Jake had climbed on top of the bed beside her, pressing another kiss to her lips.

"You okay?" He asked, peppering her jaw with more kisses which only earned an undistinguishable noise in return that made the man smile softly. "I'm going to shower, and brush my teeth." The cheeky smile on his lips at the latter comment earned a playful nudge to the man's chest but it was nothing more than amusing.

"You can go and check on the children if you want, and join me when you're done." Again, a playful swat to the chest, this time eliciting a soft laugh from Jake. "Okay, okay, old joke now, I know. But, seriously, I'm going for a shower." He finalised, pressing one more kiss to Azalea's lips before going to do exactly as he said he was going to.

Whether the witch was back when he had finished, Jake would just climb in to bed, and await her return.

Half asleep from the day's events.

Back to top Go down
Azalea Murray
Head of Slytherin
Head of Slytherin
Azalea Murray

PostSubject: Re: I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea)   I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea) EmptySun Nov 01, 2020 10:13 pm

She heard him descending the stairs softly, careful of the second last step that creaked. They had all learned a while ago to mind that step lest they risk waking Adrienne. Finishing a last wipe of the counter, Azalea felt more than saw him enter the kitchen, feeing relaxed after a long day.

"Ivan's still not talking too much."

"That's alright," she intoned as she felt him kiss her shoulder, a small smile making an appearance on her lips as she put the kitchen towel aside. "He'll come to us when he's ready." That was by and large the approach they had taken with the boy, not wanting to make him feel admonished for whatever he was feeling at the time.

All thoughts of Ivan vanished from her head in the next instant when she felt Jake's lips move higher up her body, claiming the columns of her throat. "Ja-ake," she managed, whining slightly in  pleasure and protest alike as she felt his fingers on her jeans, unbuttoning them with practiced movements. All she received in lieu of a reply was a smug smirk pressed into her skin.

Soon after, gravity gave in as she was lifted out of her jeans and set on the kitchen counter, Jake deciding to show her what affects the gentle admonishments had.

Azalea's mind had refused to come down from its high until Jake was in the shower for some time. Unaware of the mess they had left downstairs, she had simply lain where she was put, mewling softly when he left for his shower and curling into him when he returned. Exhausted and indulged, the witch drifted off to sleep peacefully in his arms.

Only to wake up three hours later, her body reminding her she hand not been to the bathroom before bed.

Softly disentangling herself from Jake's limbs, she picked up her phone and tiptoed to the bathroom, tapping the screen to reveal the time. It was past two in the morning and the house was quiet save for the Auror's rhythmic snores.

The witch was heading back to bed a few minutes later when she heard it. The soft swish of a door being pushed. Fear gripped her heart as she imagined someone breaking in. The kids' rooms were easier to access than Jake's, she had to wake him. There could be real danger. Grabbing Jake's large dressing gown, the witch wrapped it tightly around her bare figure, ready to wake the man sleeping so peacefully when she heard it again.

Another creak of the door, this time coming from the direction of Ivan's room.

It took a few seconds to connect the dots but when she did, relief flooded through the brunette. Tightening the belt of the dressing gown until it cinched her waist so tight, Azalea was sure she had temporarily stopped her blood circulation, she quietly moved out of the bedroom, and down the hall toward the oldest Newbury child's.

Knocking softly on the door that would always be ajar, the witch looked in to find her suspicions confirmed. There sat Ivan, awake and shivering, as if he'd just made a trip down the cold halfway without his dressing gown or slippers in the middle of a November night.

"You okay bud?" she asked, creeping into the room slowly so as not to startle him. "Need anything."

Ivan didn't reply, not wanting to look at her for some reason.

Moving slowly, Azalea reached for the dressing gown hanging on the back of his chair, coming to his bed and placing it gently on his shoulders. "You'll catch a cold, sweetie."

Again, the boy didn't reply, but he didn't stop her from wrapping the dressing gown around him either.

"Did you have a nightmare?"

Finally, the boy looked up at her and Azalea could clearly make out the red in his pupils. Ivan had been crying.

Siting down beside him, Azalea reached out an arm to cuddle the boy. When he didn't protest, she folded him properly into a hug. "It's okay kiddo, we all have nightmares," she whispered softly into his hair, her hand moving up and down his back in a soothing motion. "I used to have them until I was way older than you."

"Did they stop?" Ivan spoke for the first time, his voice muffled.

"They did,' she confirmed, holding him close.

"How?"

"Your dad made them stop,' she confessed truthfully, trying to remember her recurring nightmares and how Jake had made them go away.

"How'd he do that."

"By promising me he would never leave me."

Both of them felt silent at that. Azalea unsure if she had revealed something the boy wasn't ready for and Ivan clearly trying to put two and two together because Jake had obviously left her at some point. Azalea wasn't his mom, he knew that. But she was here.

Or at least sometimes she was here.  

"Are you going to come back after Christmas break?"

"You bet. Can't get rid of me that easily."

Her joke was rewarded by a soft chuckle as he finally moved out of the hug, wiping at his eyes in the process.

"And it gets worse," the brunette whispered, brushing his hair off his forehead. "Next September, you start Hogwarts. So I'll be there all the time, looking in on you. You can't run away from me anywhere."

A more enthusiastic chuckle followed before he looked at her again.

"I'm okay, you can go to bed now," he encouraged with an almost convincing smile.

"Or,' she counter offered, pulling her feet up and making sure the dressing gown was still snug around her. "I could sleep here with you. Your bed is just as good no?"

"I guess, if you want."

Realizing this was the best invitation she was going to get from an embarrassed eleven year old, Azalea took it. "Thanks bud, I get scared real easy." Together, the two of then were just able to fit on Ivan's child sized single bed, azalea spooning the boy as he drifted off to sleep, hoping against all hope that she would indeed be back here after Christmas.

The next morning, Azalea would be found in Ivan's bed, both of them peacefully asleep with no sign of the previous night's terrors on either face.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea)   I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea) Empty

Back to top Go down

I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya (Jazalea)
Page 1 of 1