Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Day AU Harry Potter Roleplay Site for Original Characters

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
OOC Shoutbox
Current Plot
September 2028

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

Josie LeBlanc

Most users ever online was 108 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am
Latest topics
» Election Night (Tessa)
No one flies like Gaston (Open) Emptyby Chester Millstone Fri May 03, 2024 8:10 pm

» Back to Basics (Flying Lesson)
No one flies like Gaston (Open) Emptyby Josie LeBlanc Fri May 03, 2024 7:51 pm

» Look at these phtographs ( One shot)
No one flies like Gaston (Open) Emptyby Tessa Greene Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 am

» Night with old friends ( One shot)
No one flies like Gaston (Open) Emptyby Tessa Greene Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:47 pm

» The Awakening - Purple - February, 2010 (Alexagramma)
No one flies like Gaston (Open) Emptyby Alexander Quinn Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:34 pm

Unanswered Open Threads
None!
IC Chatbox

No one flies like Gaston (Open)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

No one flies like Gaston (Open) Empty
PostSubject: No one flies like Gaston (Open)   No one flies like Gaston (Open) EmptySat May 09, 2015 7:33 pm

Nick was worried. A rare occurrence, to be sure, but not wholly undeserved. After all, Gaston was sick. Now, Nick wasn't a particularly sentimental man by any means, and there were only two beings he held any kind of tender feelings for: Gaston, and Markus. One of whom was the bravest being he'd ever known, the other was his twin brother. As old as Gaston was, Nick knew it would simply be easier to bring him to someone who could put him to rest once and for all instead of making him suffer through such an illness.

Nick was loathe to do such a thing, though. Gaston was a perfect companion, and knew just what to do to cheer Nick up when he got into a mood. A strong bird, too, as eagle owls were known to be and Nick just knew Gaston wouldn't go down without a proper fight. So, here he was, in search of a tonic to help the old bird along in fighting off the illness.

Of course, Nick wasn't sure what exactly Gaston had, but the symptoms presented as a reluctance to eat, which he was sure was causing the missing feathers--none from his wings, thank Merlin. He drank plenty of water, but he refused treats when they were offered and never stole from Nick's plate as he used to. Nick could hear him wheezing occasionally, usually after attempting a particularly long flight. He was certain, though, that none of it was old age. At fifteen years, Gaston still had another five at least if he lived the average life-span. So, no, Nick refused to believe his precious Gaston was dying.
Back to top Go down
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

Birthday : 1992-08-13
Job/hobbies : Auror & DADA Professor

PostSubject: Re: No one flies like Gaston (Open)   No one flies like Gaston (Open) EmptyTue May 19, 2015 7:36 pm

After moving to Scotland, it had become vastly apparent to Jake that he needed an owl. His mom had been nagging him for ages about never being able to get hold of him on the phone because of his hectic schedule, and she'd finally put her foot down.

He'd insisted she could text him, but that hadn't gone down well. So, after apologising to his mom for the hundredth time, Jake had headed on down to Diagon Alley to try and get an owl that would be suitable for long distance letters.

With a pair of shades on to hopefully make him look less like the celebrity he was, Jake slipped in to the Magical Menagerie and slipped his sunglasses off, putting them in to the back pocket of his jeans. Honestly, he didn't know what he was really looking for, but he perused the aisles no less.

Jake had slipped past an older man whilst looking, not really paying much attention to him because he looked busy with his own findings anyway. With a sigh, Jake turned towards the counter, but the attendant was already busy with another customer. With a sigh, Jake turned back towards the aisle with the older man, it was dedicated to owls, so this was probably a good place to start.

"Any suggestions on a good breed of owl?" Jake asked the man, though he knew he didn't work here there were many people in their world who knew enough about owls to be helpful. Hopefully this man would be like that too.

~ Auror ~ Profile ~ DADA Professor ~
~ In a Relationship ~ 36 ~ Father ~ 6' ~ American Accent ~
No one flies like Gaston (Open) Rsz_1j10
Back to top Go down
https://hogwartsandbeyond.forumotion.co.uk
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: No one flies like Gaston (Open)   No one flies like Gaston (Open) EmptyTue May 19, 2015 8:20 pm

Nick turned his head when a man spoke, apparently asking him a question.  He hummed a noncommittal noise and shrugged. "Eagle owls are good for long distance or numerous flights." There was a sad note to his voice, but he did his best to keep it at bay. No need to trouble this man with his likely dying-but-he-won't-admit-it owl. Large owls as a rule were best for long distance.

The man did look a little familiar, but that hardly signified anything important given how interactive his job could be. Still, Nick didn't think he'd ever actually seen this man in person before, yet his face was familiar. With a sigh, Nick shook his head at the ridiculous thought and returned to browsing the various tonics available for owl-care. "I'm Nick, by the way. Nicholas Hellridge." He spoke without looking at the man, which was probably impolite, but Nick wasn't in the mood for being polite at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

PostSubject: Re: No one flies like Gaston (Open)   No one flies like Gaston (Open) EmptyTue May 19, 2015 8:29 pm

The answer to Jake's question made him nod, smiling in thanks to the man before him. "Eagle owls..." Jake echoed, looking up to the cages just before them to try and pick this owl out. It was times like this he probably should have listened more in Care of Magical Creatures - though Jake wasn't sure they'd learnt about owls in that class.

Noting one, Jake smiled to himself, whilst not the prettiest of owls he'd ever seen, the owl looked more like the kind of owl Jake would want to own. The eagle owl looked a little more menacing, if Jake was honest, and though he wasn't menacing, he figured that for him an eagle owl would probably look better than a snowy owl.

And now he was over analysing.

Jake hadn't really noted that the other man was doing his own thing again, he himself was busy looking at the couple of eagle owls on offer, trying to decide which one might be the one he'd want. When the man introduced himself, Jake looked back to the man. "Jake Newbury." He responded, only loud enough for Nick to hear him because he didn't want attention if he could avoid it.

"Do you have any pointers on what else I might need for my owl?" Jake asked, hoping he wasn't annoying the man. "If you have time, I mean." Jake added, because he definitely didn't wish to be a burden to anyone.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: No one flies like Gaston (Open)   No one flies like Gaston (Open) EmptyTue May 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Nick blinked as he tried to place the name. But while he knew it was familiar, he couldn't place when or where he'd heard it. With a shrug, he shook it off and nodded shortly in greeting.

Pointers? About eagle owls? Oh, Nick had plenty. But by recalling them he'd be recalling his time with Gaston, and that would certainly make his already despondent mood worse. Death was a fact of life, Nick knew. But he had hoped--rather childishly--that Gaston would stay for a long while and beat the odds. It seemed that the only one who could stay was Mark, but they hadn't spoken in person for too long. Nick didn't even know what he did for a living.

He huffed to himself. "Depends on the owl, really. Eagle owls are largely nocturnal, but then most owls are so that's hardly a distinction. They like small mammals and reptiles and even fish on occasion. I'm no expert, though. I've only got one reference point, after all." One can become a bit...used to certain behaviors after twelve years of friendship. Nick hadn't paid much attention in Care of Magical Creatures, too preoccupied with the actual magic classes to care for such mundane things as Creatures.
Back to top Go down
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

PostSubject: Re: No one flies like Gaston (Open)   No one flies like Gaston (Open) EmptyWed May 20, 2015 7:03 pm

The small huff - even if just the movement of the shoulders - made Jake sorry for asking the question. Perhaps this wasn't the right man to be asking these questions to, but Jake was only trying to be friendly.

But when the information came, Jake listened closely because he didn't want to miss anything the man said, because hopefully it would be useful.

The information on them being nocturnal Jake had gathered from his fellow classmates moaning about their owls being asleep during the day, but he made no outward comment about that. Instead he nodded, taking on the information about food. "Okay, thank you, that should help." Jake replied with a small smile. "Do you... already have an owl? You seem like you know a fair amount about them? And, I'm pretty sure you don't work here..." Jake asked, moving to the shelf with treats and picking up a box that said they were good for Eagle Owls.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: No one flies like Gaston (Open)   No one flies like Gaston (Open) EmptyThu May 21, 2015 1:52 am

Nick chuckled lightly, "You would be correct. I don't work here, but I do own an eagle owl of my own," he tried to sound as cheerful as possible about the fact, but he still thought a little sadness seeped into his voice. "He's just gone fifteen years, actually." No need to burden the man with his sob-story of his likely dying owl. "I've heard they can live up to twenty years, though, so that's what I'm hoping for." Highly unlikely, but he would hold out hope until the day that bird died.

"Is this your first owl?" Given the man's apparent lack of knowledge about owls, it was highly likely it was his first. Odd, that a man his age never owned an owl before, but Nick wasn't about to question it. It wasn't his business to pry and Nick would likely be just as clueless when he began searching for a new owl.
Back to top Go down
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

PostSubject: Re: No one flies like Gaston (Open)   No one flies like Gaston (Open) EmptyThu May 21, 2015 5:33 pm

Jake listened to the information on how long an owl could last. Fifteen years? Possibly twenty... Well, that was a long time, but Jake wouldn't mind it. "That's useful to know." Jake responded sincerely to the older man. "I hope yours makes it to twenty." He added, hoping that was the right thing to say, seeing as this was new, Jake wasn't sure.

At the question of this being his first owl, Jake couldn't help but let out a small chuckle. "That obvious, huh?" He asked, nodding his confirmation to the question. "My parents are nagging me since I moved away from America because I apparently miss all the times they try to call me through the Floo Network." He explained, not that he had to, it probably helped.

"I was never big on writing home at school, so I never got an owl, but I don't want to stress my mom out too much." He added.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No one flies like Gaston (Open)   No one flies like Gaston (Open) Empty

Back to top Go down

No one flies like Gaston (Open)
Page 1 of 1