Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Day AU Harry Potter Roleplay Site for Original Characters

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
OOC Shoutbox
Current Plot
September 2028

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

Josie LeBlanc

Most users ever online was 108 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am
Latest topics
» Election Night (Tessa)
Writing Challenge - Prompt Three Emptyby Chester Millstone Fri May 03, 2024 8:10 pm

» Back to Basics (Flying Lesson)
Writing Challenge - Prompt Three Emptyby Josie LeBlanc Fri May 03, 2024 7:51 pm

» Look at these phtographs ( One shot)
Writing Challenge - Prompt Three Emptyby Tessa Greene Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 am

» Night with old friends ( One shot)
Writing Challenge - Prompt Three Emptyby Tessa Greene Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:47 pm

» The Awakening - Purple - February, 2010 (Alexagramma)
Writing Challenge - Prompt Three Emptyby Alexander Quinn Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:34 pm

Unanswered Open Threads
None!
IC Chatbox

Writing Challenge - Prompt Three

Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Administrator

The Administrator

Writing Challenge - Prompt Three Empty
PostSubject: Writing Challenge - Prompt Three   Writing Challenge - Prompt Three EmptySun Mar 27, 2016 2:22 pm

Writing Challenge - Prompt Three Rsz_1p10
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Writing Challenge - Prompt Three   Writing Challenge - Prompt Three EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 3:12 am

Prompt 1

[[OOC: I AM SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SORRY FOR THIS JAKE (and Finley). I promise you this IS NOT CANON. Maddie really truly does love Finely.]]

Life was good. She had a fun job, with customers practically begging for ‘appointments’ by the dozen, many of which she had the liberty of simply ignoring; a nice house, with everything she could need and want available to her; all the money and more that she would need; and a husband. Finley had been everything she wanted, a Ravenclaw that started as a game and turned into something so much more - someone to love. To care for. To want. To call her own.

And yet…

And yet, there was this nagging feeling in Madison that she was missing out, that there was more out there for her than all she had. She was quickly finding out that the married life was not all it was cut out to be. Dragon training was what her husband had gone for, and with his days spent chasing, tagging, and whatever-else-he-did dragons, it felt like it was all he ever talked about. Whereas she… Well, she was everything she ever dreamt of being - in charge, with men (and the occasional woman) all but throwing themselves at her, and earning money for it, too.

But that wasn’t the exact truth; she held herself back most of the time, never going further than kissing, because she was loyal to Finley. There would be so much more to blackmail with if she could take things further, store information on them that they truly wouldn’t want to be seen instead of ‘almosts’. She had chosen to settle down instead, marrying a male that she was now realising was not what she once thought.

Laying awake in bed one night, she puzzled over her latest victim. He was some high-ranking Auror official, over-confidant in his skills and appearance, and she had been slowly working on him over the past couple months, ‘accidentally’ bumping into him a few times in his favourite pubs - not so often that it was suspicious, but enough that he would recognise her and marvel at the ‘coincidence’. They had gotten to conversing the last time, small talk that told her he had access to many a confidential information that she could very well use against him more than once, and he had invited to his place for a party he was throwing.

There was just one problem - he was rather straight, tight-lipped about most things. Everyone had weaknesses, though, and buttons to push; she just needed to figure out his. It would take time, but that was part of the fun.She continued mulled over all the things she had gotten from him so far, beginning to piece together a plan of action.

And as she lay there thinking, the quiet breathing of Finley could be heard, and she quite suddenly found that the once comforting sounds were now nothing but an annoyance. Simply put, Madison had come to the realisation that she was not satisfied with her life, as good as it was and as much as she had once thought she had the world. No, the world had her, and it was about time she regained control.

Slipping out of bed, she moved quickly but silently, lest she awoke her husband, and made her way to the closet. Taking her clothes, she shoved them in the nearest bag, then slipped into the bathroom to get changed, putting on a loose t-shirt and shorts. Giving herself a once over in the mirror, she carefully dabbed some peppermint oil just under her eyes, making them go red and watery at once. Slipping off her wedding ring, she placed it beside the sink, leaving no note and no explanation, just the symbol of what she once thought was her undying love.

The lure of the chase, the knowledge of a challenge, the promise of money…  It was just too tempting to the witch, and she knew there was no way she was giving any of that up for the dull thud of normality. Finley had been fun, and he had been nothing but nice, but he had also been predictable and straightforward. After she had taken care of the Nirek issue, there hadn’t been anything interesting surrounding the ex-Ravenclaw, and Madison had been slowly growing bored with the whole situation. Love wasn’t all it was advertised as, and she had come to learn that there were just some things she wasn’t meant for - and marriage was one of them.

Or, perhaps, love wasn’t the right word.

She had been intrigued. Captivated. Misled. What she did love was the thrill of playing a mark, the excitement that came with a score, and the satisfaction when she got her pay. She loved her sister, and money, and being in control. But Finley? No, she had thought it was love, but she had been proven wrong, and she was finally doing something about it.

Apparating to the street from the address she had been given, she walked down the rows of houses till she found the right one. Allowing her fake tears to stream down her face and clutching her suitcase tightly, she rang the doorbell with her free hand. A timely sniff was taken as she heard the front door open and she looked up at the figure standing there through blurry vision.

“M-my husband just b-broke up…” she stuttered, shaking her head and allowing her hair to cover her face. “I… I d-didn’t know w-where else…” Again, she trailed off, then gave another sniff. “I-I’m sorry to disturb you. I’ll… I’ll just go,” she concluded, ending in an almost whisper.

As expected, the auror placed an arm around her. “Why don’t you come inside?” he said, gently, and she nodded, allowing him to usher her in. The game had just kicked off into high gear, and Madison couldn’t have been any happier.

And Finley?

Well, he was already but a distant memory, someone she would always remember with fondness as her first real game.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Writing Challenge - Prompt Three   Writing Challenge - Prompt Three EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 7:41 pm

PROMPT 2

(OOC: I'm not really all that proud of this, but Im going to post it anyways. This is not cannon and it's just a bit of experimentation because I'm not really used to writing romance from a male perspective. Its super bad but I tried ahaha)

Joshua ran his hands over a letter that he had just received. The Hufflepuff boy never received letters, seeing as he hadn’t talked to his parents in years. There were no ideas running through his usually abundant mind as to what the Abbotts might have to say. Slowly but surely, he brought his fingers to open the letter. As the letter unfolded, he instantly recalled a memory from the last time he was home.
It was the Summer holiday and he had most likely been a third year. His parents had still been rather uncomfortable with the thought of their precious son being a wizard, so Joshua had spent most of the holiday on the beach. Their small town in Massachusetts had beautiful, rocky beaches. He enjoyed wandering around the land, simply exploring his surroundings. It felt like home.
On one particularly sunny day, Joshua was making his way down a bridge known as The Boardwalk. As he walked, he heard a familiar voice calling to him.
“Josh Abbott?!” He heard repeatedly.. As he continued to walk closer, Joshua realized that these words were coming from someone by the name of Robert Shae. Robert had shaggy blonde hair and deep chocolate brown eyes. Joshua had only just been able to forget those eyes. Those eyes had made his heart do things that he could not afford for his heart to do. Robert had been the most confusing person in Joshua’s life before he went away to Hogwarts. His barren feet dragging along in the sand, Joshua casually made his way over to where the the boy stood.
“How have you been?” He asked, detached.
“I’ve missed you, Josh,” Robert smiled warmly. “Where have you been?” A flood of cold came into Joshua, counteracting the warmth of Robert’s smile.
“It’s a long story,” Joshua responded. “My parents couldn’t deal with me not being perfect.”
“So you came out?” The blonde haired boy asked, eyes widening by the second.
“I’m not gay!” Joshua fought back. That was the last thing he needed in his life. His parents were already ashamed that there was a wizard in their family. How would they feel about a sexually confused wizard?
“I like girls,” he said, calming down. This was true. His jaw dropped at the sight of an attractive woman just as much as the next guy’s did. He had never had a girlfriend, but he knew that he may like one someday.
“But you also like guys,” Robert responded, bringing his face closer to Josh’s. All at once, Roberts soft lips collided with Josh’s and he was taken. All that seemed to matter was the two of them and this very moment. All that mattered was Robert’s deep brown eyes that seemed to suck someone in and never let go.
“Robert we can’t,” Joshua pulled away, darting his eyes from the boy.
“Josh we can,” Robert laughed, trying to get closer once again. Joshua took a step back.
“I can’t be this person. I can’t be confused. My parents already act like I killed their real child and took his place. I can’t bring this kind of revelation to them.”
“Then don’t,” Robert smiled. His white teeth flashed in the sunlight and he dragged Joshua back into a prolonged kiss.  

That was the day that Joshua realized that he was never going to be the person whom his parents had raised him to be. He had failed at being their child. That was the day that he left and finally never returned home. That was also the day that he realized that it didn’t matter who you fell for, as long as you did.

As he opened the letter from his parents, he turned his head away. He folded the paper back up and tucked it into his pocket, never for it to be seen again.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Writing Challenge - Prompt Three   Writing Challenge - Prompt Three EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 9:01 pm

The last few weeks had become an internal struggle for Layla. There was the chance of this awesome record deal and Ethan was all for it, however he didn't realise that it meant less time with him and that would eventually lead to them leaving each other. The woman twisted the small emerald ring on her left hand. They were supposed to be getting married in another five months but she would never get another deal as good as this. She was certain of it. Yet, she found herself debating the situation, not wanting to leave Ethan and her future with him, the future he promised her when her parents kicked her out for loving him back in her fourth year of Hogwarts.

There was a protection, a sense of security that came with loving him. He had been her security guard for years until he got his Quidditch signing just this past year. It meant they were stuck there, bound by a legal contract; or at least he was. She frowned, he'd be home any moment now, wanting to hear her final decision but she couldn't do it, she couldn't look into his eyes one last time, she couldn't give him one last kiss and one last hug. She couldn't tell him how much she loved him because if she was doing this, then she must not love him very much anyways. He wouldn't see how broken her heart was but she would see exactly how bad her actions would crush him. He would never move on, he would never have a miniature him and he would likely never trust her or another woman again.

Could she really do this knowing the weight of burden it would cause her? She envisioned him, his smile and smell, the way his lips felt against hers and the warmth his body granted her. A look of disappointment snuck up onto his face and Layla rushed the threat of tears away. The door downstairs closed, a reminder that she was no longer alone, that Ethan was now home. His smell flooded the house, intoxicating her as his footsteps echoed down the hallway, the sign that he was headed up the stairs to their bedroom. She took a deep breath and stood just as he pushed through the door.

She twisted the tiny ring off her finger and held his hands, her face tilting up towards his. Placing the ring in his hand and closing it, she gave him a kiss on the cheek and whispered, "I love you," before the sound of a small pop filled the air taking her to the signing company. She had made her decision and now, there was no turning back. Her career came before him and now she knew that, she knew that she would always chose her career, her fame before anyone else in her life.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Writing Challenge - Prompt Three   Writing Challenge - Prompt Three EmptySun Apr 24, 2016 4:40 pm

Prompt 2

Lux stared out her bedroom window, her earphones blasting Kyler England’s “Battle Cry”. The words transported her back to the past, to the time she made the vow to build and reinforce the walls around her, never letting anyone in. Unwilling to deal with those memories and the pain associated with them, Lux retreated further back, to a time when she once was happy. Really and truly happy.

~*~

The house was dark and quiet, both Chris and Melody Carter sound asleep. With the moon as her only light, Lux crept through the house, her feet making no noise on the floor. She’d been adopted yet again and none of her protests took hold. This couple seemed nice, not like the other drunken foster parents she’d had or the ones who had no clue what they were in for when they adopted her, thinking she was a sweet little thing. Well, she wasn’t. And Chris and Melody might be nice but she was not, already planning the evils she would wreck in their home to prove to them and everybody else that she would never be tamed.

She slid her bedroom door open noiselessly and peeked through, making sure everything was silent before stepping out into the hallway and tiptoeing to the common bathroom. Lux had been planning this for a week now and never one to be content to wait quietly until she could put her plan in action, she’d busied herself, making life difficult for the Carters in other ways.

Her first day with them, she defaced the walls in the main living room with paint she found in the storeroom. Two days later, she killed all Chris’ plants by drenching them in bleach and highly concentrated salt water. Next came cutting up all their curtains, blankets, pillowcases, anything she could get her hands on but again. But all of it seemed to be rectified quickly, too quickly, and they never seemed to get angry. Lux, however, never gave up when she set her mind to something and she finally had the opportunity to carry out her original plan.

Reaching the bathroom, she pushed the door open and slipped inside, waiting for a moment to let her eyes adjust to the sudden darkness. She’d seen Melody carry the thing in here earlier that day. Letting her eyes skim the room, they paused on the closed bathroom cupboard. In there! If only she was tall enough. An idea popped into her mind and she closed the lid on the toilet bowl before scampering up as quietly as she could. Balancing on top, she reached over as far as she dared and managed to nudge open the cupboard door with the tips of her fingers, bracing herself against the wall with her other hand.

She scanned the contents inside until her eyes landed on the one bottle she was looking for. A grin split her lips. This was it. She wrapped her fingers around the bottle, closed the cupboard and carefully slid to the floor. Opening the bathroom door, Lux nearly jumped in fright when she saw a pair of eyes staring back at her. But relaxed when she saw it was just the dog, Rascal. Her lips curled into an evil grin. It was just who she wanted to see.

“Hi there!” Lux whispered to the Golden Retriever puppy. Out came the tongue as the tail started going a hundred beats a second. “Come on, boy!” Rascal stayed by her heels all the way to the pantry behind the kitchen.

Lux squatted down and searched the lower shelf for what she knew was there. Her hand landed on it a few seconds later and she tugged it off the shelf. A whine came from Rascal and Lux glanced at him to see the longing in his eyes for what she held. Dog food. She grinned. Perfect.

“Bowl, Rascal. Bowl!” she whispered and smiled as the puppy trotted off to bring her his food bowl. She put in half a cup of dog food, opened the bottle she took from the bathroom and poured the liquid inside generously over the pellets. Rascal tilted his head as if asking if it was alright to eat at 2.30 in the morning.

“Go ahead, boy. Eat up!”

WIth a snort, Rascal did just that, licking the bowl clean. “That’s it,” Lux whispered to herself, eyes gleaming with mischief. She put everything back in it’s place, taking a lingering look at the word printed on the bottle. Laxative. With a giggle, she closed the cupboard and headed to bed with a grin on her face.

The next morning, she woke up to a foul smell and it was all she could do to hold back her laughter. She opened the door and walked out of the bedroom to see dog poop dotted in random places. Rascal was not very far away, turning round and round and squatting to let another load out and looking around at his rear end in confusion and surprise, letting out a few urgent whines before doing the exact same thing again. Lux completely lost it, giving in to the rumble of laughter bubbling up in her. Never had she laughed so hard before. It was freeing.

~*~

A smile played on Lux’s lips as she recalled the incident. But when she realised it, she wiped it off and replaced it with a frown. No, she wouldn’t linger on those days. They only reminded her of the pain that came after and she wasn’t having any of that. Now, her focus should be on The Couple and how she could rid herself of them. No more reminiscing. But the last thing she saw right before she drifted off to sleep was Rascal’s eyes, Chris’ laugh and Melody’s smile.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Writing Challenge - Prompt Three   Writing Challenge - Prompt Three EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 2:09 am

Prompt 2

Life had been so simple. Before grades, before realising she wasn't up to her brother's standards, and before she was constantly made to feel like a failure there had existed dresses and talks with her brother and simple studies at a local school. Before magic, before Trolls and Exceed Expectations and all those other grades, before History of Magic and other subjects that she hated, there was art.

Sent to a private center run by a Squib for magical children before their Hogwarts days, Chrisy spent a few years learning basic things like maths and English. She did fairly okay, for the concepts there weren't overly difficult, but it was here that her fondest memory lay.

It was a Monday, and her parents had separate business meetings to attend, meaning she was, once again, to stay back after hours, much longer than the average child. This time, however, one of her teachers had mentioned something about an art class, and while it was supposed to be an extra subject her parents never paid for, her teacher had winked and told her that it wasn't a big deal this once.

And so, Chrisy found herself attending a drawing lesson for the ten-year-olds, and despite being only eight, found she fit right in. There was just this sense of home about it.

"Now, don't worry if you can't get it right. Just have fun, okay?" the teacher had told her, handing her a sketchbook, a pencil, and an eraser.

Nodding, Chrisy accepted the tools, turning her attention to the object in the front - a simple fruit platter - and watched as the other students got to work, sketching and drawing the different shapes. For a while, she didn't attempt anything, instead just observing the way the others did it: the way they coloured in the shadows, the way they made the object appear 3d and not just flat shapes, the different types of strokes they made to achieve different line thickness, and all the other methods used. Finally, when she had seen all she needed to, Chrisy picked up her pencil and pressed it to the page.

And... and her hand flew.

The image in her mind translated into hand movements, and she just made lines and coloured and shaded and drew, not needing to think much about what to do next. Time passed by almost instantly, and before she knew it, she was staring at a finished product. Taking a step back, she scrutinised it, then bent back over to add a couple more shadings to the grapes.

"Teacher, I'm done," she said, only then looking around to find that most of the others weren't done yet. She blushed as the teacher came round, a look of surprise on his face.

"Already?" he asked, "It's only been ha..." He trailed off as he approached her, and Chrisy braced herself for a negative review. But, instead, all she got was a gasp.

"You drew this?" her teacher asked, and she nodded apprehensively. "And you've never been to any art class before?"

She shook her head, this time. "This is my first," she told him. "Is... Is it bad?"

A gentle hand was placed on her shoulder. "Sweetie, you're better than half the class here. You've got a real gift. I'm going to make sure you attend all my classes; don't let such a talent go to waste." A slow beam spread across her face at the words, the first time she'd ever heard anything like that being addressed to her and not her brother.

An door slammed somewhere nearby, and Chrisy started. Blinking herself back to reality, she glanced at the clock and cursed at herself, looking back down at the pile of assignments on her table. When had she gotten distracted by memories? With a sigh, she picked up a quill and pressed the nib against the parchment. There was no time for art, not with the amount of work she had, and not with her parents hounding after her. No, art was a waste of time.

Still, she couldn't help but smile as she thought of her first art class. If only things could have remained that simple. Pushing back the thoughts, she returned to writing her essay.

Ten Uses for Wiggentree Bark
Back to top Go down
The Administrator

The Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Writing Challenge - Prompt Three   Writing Challenge - Prompt Three EmptyMon May 16, 2016 9:22 pm

Guys, I am super sorry that I have completely forgotten to give out the prizes on the writing challenge, life got in the way, and I am just not good when it comes to memory!

Anyway, for those that entered the writing competition, thank you for taking time to think of something awesome for each of the prompts, I know it can't have been easy!

My winner this time is...

LYDIA!

The crazy always move me, and Lux is just... incomparable to anything I have ever seen. I loved the piece completely!

I will, of course, think of some more prompts, and post the next challenge shortly!

Jake
~HaB Admins
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Writing Challenge - Prompt Three   Writing Challenge - Prompt Three Empty

Back to top Go down

Writing Challenge - Prompt Three
Page 1 of 1