Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Day AU Harry Potter Roleplay Site for Original Characters

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
OOC Shoutbox
Current Plot
September 2028

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 108 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am
Latest topics
» Election Night (Tessa)
Long Time Running (Vickson) Emptyby Tessa Greene Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:19 pm

» Look at these phtographs ( One shot)
Long Time Running (Vickson) Emptyby Tessa Greene Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 am

» Night with old friends ( One shot)
Long Time Running (Vickson) Emptyby Tessa Greene Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:47 pm

» The Awakening - Purple - February, 2010 (Alexagramma)
Long Time Running (Vickson) Emptyby Alexander Quinn Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:34 pm

» 100 Word Tag Drabble Challenge
Long Time Running (Vickson) Emptyby Mimosa Harrington Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:34 pm

Unanswered Open Threads
None!
IC Chatbox

Long Time Running (Vickson)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mimosa Harrington
Hogwarts Head Girl
Hogwarts Head Girl
Mimosa Harrington

Birthday : 2013-08-13

Long Time Running (Vickson) Empty
PostSubject: Long Time Running (Vickson)   Long Time Running (Vickson) EmptyFri Jul 16, 2021 12:50 pm

Long Time Running (Vickson) Sidharth-malhotra_2021-6-11-14-21-14_thumbnail

Some may have considered August too soon to bring a political campaign into full gear. Not the Blake campaign though. even as the clock neared six on he first Friday of the month, the offices of Jackson Blake, the Senator from Milwaukee, remained just as occupied as it had bane at ten in the morning. Not even the interns showed any signs of leaving as two of them followed Sloan Sabbith into her own corner of the office. Sloan had already decided that in preparation for the day she needed help, she would train some young ones to crunch data that wold match her unrealistically high expectations.

"Jackson, Victoria, conference call on line two."

"Who-" Jackson began, poking his head out of his ffice only fro Victoria to answer his unasked question.

"It's the DHS case from yesterday, they finally managed to get an interpreter for Urdu."

Jackson nodded as Victoria gathered up her papers and followed him into his office. As the campaign's legal council, she was required to sit in on these calls. Jenna followed shortly after, her notepad at the ready.

Giving the two ladies a "go signal, Jackson hi the button on the phone. "Good evening, and I must saywe commend you people for working late ona  Friday."

The voice on the other side chuckled slightly. "No problem Sir, same to you. I'm Bryan Chu with DHS here to continue our discussion on case 4545-2."

"Right, of course, How is Ms. Rashidi doing," the wizard asked, hurriedly looking over the names scrawled in Victoria's neat handwriting. "Have we managed to locate her son, Hamad?"

"Negative Sir," the officer on he other side replied. "But we are here with an interpreter from RSC so we might get more from Ms. Rashidi about when she saw him last. Ms. Shivani will be interpreting for us."

"Great, happy to have you on board, Shivani," Jackson greeted as Jenna hurried to write the new name down. The trio sat through the formality of the swearing everyone in before the interview began.

"Are you Miss. Habiba Rshidi?"

"Kya aap Bibi Habiba Rashidi hain?"

"Ji."

"Yes,' the interpreter translated, prompting the next question from Bryan.

"You are from Nyala, Sudan?"

"Aap Nyala, Sudan se hain?"

A pause, in which Jackson could only assume the poor woman had nodded without realizing some attendants at the interview could not see her. The interpreter repeated the question again as was protocol.

"Ji."

"How did you arrive in the United States?"

As Shivani interpreted the question, Jackson glanced over to Victoria. This was her forte. Too many times in the past months they had sat through such calls or face to face interviews where the tiny witch had been responsible for figuring out if any laws were broken and how much leniency a judge would grant. The interpreter delivered Ms. Rashidi's response in a neutral tone, quite unlike the hurried explanation that had come form the woman.

It was more or less the same story, the woman's husband had been killed in tribal violence, forcing her and their seven year old son to flee. Habiba had sold everything she had to buy passage on board a ship that had taken her to Mexico. The second leg of their journey had been harder still where she had been forced into the service of a cartel. The woman had given up on ever living a real life anywhere but then they had come after her son, insisting he too grow up to join the cartel one day which had prompted the mother and son's last ditch effort to try and cross the border into the US.

They had succeeded, for two days, then border security had picked them up. And what was worse, it had separated the mother and son into different detention centers.

An uncomfortable silence echoed around the room as the woman sobbed out her story, making Jackson wonder how the interpreter was so composed. He could see what Jenna had missed in her copious note taking, the slight shudder of Victoria's frame as she listened, trying to remain professional as her natural well of homeopathy tried to overwhelm the witch.

"Ms. Rashidi, when was the last time you saw your son?"

"Habiba, aapne akhri baar apne bete ko kab dekha tha?"

More unintelligible sobbing until Shivani spoke again.

"He was with me, he gets scared when he's away from me. I even hold his hand when he bathes, they took him away and now its been over a month. They can't find him. How can you not find a child? He's not an item you misplace, he's a living breathing boy!"

"We understand your pain Ma'am," Bryan replied tonelessly, the line rehearsed from too many situation such as this.

"Hum aapka dard samaj sakthe hain."

"Kaise, kya aapka bacha bhi aap se chin gaye?"

Jackson didn't need the interpreter to get the gist of her words this time. He knew enough Hindi to know the words "child" and "snatched away".

The interview continued for half an hour more, the applicant pleading not for a reduced sentence but simply to be reunited with her child again. Once the applicant had left, it was Officer Chu, Jackson and Victoria who had to hash out legalities. Finally it was decided that Ms. Rashidi's claim was valid on humanitarian grounds and someone from Jackson's office would be over in the next forty eight hours to file an appeal on the woman's behalf. It was almost seven when they finally hung up, exhausted physically and emotionally.

Jenna left the office queerly, only to return a minute later and report that everyone except Sloan and the interns had left. Jackson sighed.

"Tell them they can leave too. Oh and pack your bags kiddo, you're going to the US-Mexico border tomorrow."

"Me?" Jenna looked shocked for only a moment before the emotion transformed into one of quiet pride. Jackson was sure she was ready.

"Someone will book you a flight, cal Maggie, she shouldn't be home just yet."

Victoria left shortly after to give the interns some much needed relief. Sloan had probably slot track of time explaining all her various terminals to the kids. All in all, it was after eight as Jackson and the lawyer stepped out into eh parking lot, walking towards his SUV bogged down with more papers to look over on the weekend. Opening the car door for the witch, Jackson move around back to stash the files before sliding into the driver seat. Making sure the princess was buckled in, he started up the car.

"Eating in tonight?" he asked wearily, the day's work weighing heavy on his brow. Granted it wasn't the best way to start a Friday night but the man felt completely depleted of energy as they drove.

Last edited by Mimosa Harrington on Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Victoria Newbury
Adult
Adult
Victoria Newbury

Birthday : 1998-02-13
Job/hobbies : Legal Adviser

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Running (Vickson)   Long Time Running (Vickson) EmptyFri Jul 16, 2021 1:46 pm

They were all the same.

No matter how the translated conversation came through, they were all the same. The parent had left their home country in search of a better life somewhere else. Either being chased out by violence, running from family who wished ill of them, or simply wanting a better life, the stories were all the same. People wanting to leave their homes for safety, to protect their children, on the understanding America would be better.

They would have been right, too.

Except they were all the same.

All of them had been needlessly, ruthlessly, torn from the children they had sought to protect with their decisions to move from their home country. The rich life they had thought they were coming to had stolen from them the only prized possession they had. The children had disappeared in to a system that should never have been allowed in the United States of America, and somehow... it had happened.

The first call had been the hardest. Victoria had only been thankful that Jackson had been by her side, and that Jenna had been the other. Had they not have been there, Victoria was not sure that she would have been able to continue through the interview without crying. The crying would probably have terminated the interview, which wouldn't have helped the case they had been working on that day. It would have left the sobbing mother without any way of finding her son. But she'd managed to stay strong, until the end of the interview. Her excuses had been given almost as soon as the phone had rung off, and the lawyer had made the fast get away to the ladies bathroom. The tears had flowed freely then, because she hadn't truly comprehended the task they were getting in to.

The months had made her stronger, though.

Stronger, but not immune.

Or perhaps it was the sheer determination to ensure no mother, no father and certainly no child ever be in a position where they were not together.

Today's case was no different. Ms. Habiba had come from Sudan. Her son had been taken from her, and she was in trouble for entering the country illegally. Victoria had not worried about the last part of her story. It didn't matter to the witch if she were here legally or not, what mattered was that they found her son, and reunited them. Then, and only then, would they worry about the legality of their stay. Then, they would help ensure Ms. Habiba and her son would be staying in the country.

The interview went as it always did. They listened through most of it, Jenna taking notes, Victoria making notes of legalities they would need to cross, and Jackson ensuring any questions he felt necessary for the case were asked. The sobbing of the mother made Victoria's frame shake with the need to try to console the woman, but she'd learned a long time ago that trying to comfort the subject of the interview was not a welcome gesture from the DHS officers.

As they finalised the interview, Victoria had explained to Ms. Habiba, via their translator, that they would do everything they could to locate her son. That she would work tirelessly to find the boy, and ensure they were both able to stay in the country when it was done. Bryan was quick to correct that she would do her best, but Victoria forgave him that much. The man did not know the force he was reckoning with.

As they rung off, Victoria took a deep breath as she slumped back in her chair. The mental challenge never got easy, and the fatigue of holding herself together always showed afterwards.

"It never gets easier." Victoria managed softly as Jenna got up and vacated the office. Jackson replied to affirm the notion, and the witch felt his hand on her leg in a gentle reminder that it was okay. That he was there. A hand that moved all too quickly when Jenna reappeared to let them know everyone save Sloan and the interns had left.

Letting out a soft laugh, Victoria got to her feet. "I'll go and save them." She told Jenna as Jackson told the younger woman she would be heading off to the border. It had been something the two of them had discussed previous. Jenna was more than ready to move up a step in the office, and Jackson had chosen now. The shock and then pride on Jenna's face made it worth it as the two women vacated Jackson's office before separating.

Sloan had the interns locked in to a concentration Victoria admired as she looked in to the statistician's office. A fond smile touched Victoria's lips at the scene before she gently knocked on the door. "I'm sorry to interrupt, Sloan, but... do you know the time?" Victoria gently asked, knowing Sloan was all too good at getting engrossed in her work. "I think it might be past dinner time..." She added as Sloan checked the clock and frowned at it.

"I guess so, you can go. But we're right back at it on Monday morning. Nine o'clock sharp, don't be late." She told the interns, who were already packing up their things before they got caught for working longer hours than they'd already worked that week.

Heading back to her own office to drop off the notes she'd made, Victoria's stomach let her know that they had waited much too long for food again today. Despite the snacks around the office, she needed a good meal. Unlocking her phone, the witch pulled up Jackson's favourite pizzeria place and thumbed through the menu, easily finding Jackson's favourite pizza, and adding her own. Then doubling back for some spicy chicken wings, and a side of cheesy garlic bread, and some fizzy drinks to settle the deal. Pausing at the time, she gave then just over an hour for the delivery to arrive. It would give them enough time to get back to the apartment, let them clean up, before the pizza arrived. Sending off the order, Victoria pocketed her phone and collected her other belongings and the files she needed for the weekend before heading out to find Jackson. Sloan was still packing up, but they could let her lock up that evening.

Jackson had scooped most of the files from her when they met back up, never letting her carry too much, even if she could manage it. Their conversation continued on about the case as they made their way to the SUV, the same as they always did, reassuring one another that they would solve the case, reunite the family, keep them within the US.

"Eating in tonight?"

Jackson's question as they settled in the car made the witch smile to herself. Some things would never change. "I've ordered pizza, I don't have the energy to cook tonight." The witch replied to the question. "It'll be at the apartment just after nine, so we have plenty of time to get home and wash up. I might have ordered a little bit too much, they're right when they say you shouldn't order when hungry!" The soft laugh would lighten the mood up as it left the witch's lips, Jackson pulling out of the car park with a renewed energy as Victoria recounted the order she'd made.

But, the melancholy moment wasn't going to leave the witch quite so easily.

As they drove Victoria spoke of the other cases they had in line. Voiced her worry over the impact it was having on the polls -- a worry that Jackson tried to play off, but didn't quite pull off. The question of whether he would prefer her to stop after Ms. Habiba's case was voiced, but as it always was with Jackson, the notion was denied. He knew how much it meant to her, and he was not about to make her stop.

It was as they pulled in to the parking lot of the apartment not quite thirty minutes later that Victoria spoke again.

"I can't imagine... being torn from my family like that." The witch commented, looking across to Jackson with a sad look on her face. "I mean, there was the time I was away from my family... but I was old enough to understand that I was going to find a way back..."

The witch didn't really know what she was trying to say, in truth, these situations were hard to comprehend.

The car pulled up in the parking bay for their apartment and Jackson shut off the engine.

"You know... if it ever came down to something like that with us... I wouldn't ever give up fighting until I had you back in my life."

What had started out as a question had turned in to a statement that became more sure as it continued. Jackson's features were those that said he knew, and yet were slightly confused with the statement in that moment. Why was she saying it? The look read, and Victoria's lips twitched with amusement as he tried to think of something to reply. Saving him the decision, Victoria leant across the centre console of the SUV, placing a very gentle kiss upon the man's lips which let the expression slip from the man's expression entirely.

"I love you," she would whisper against the man's lips.

~ Profile ~ Vickson Playlist ~
~ Slender ~ 30 ~ Bookworm ~ 5' ~ American ~
Long Time Running (Vickson) Rsz_1v10
Back to top Go down
Mimosa Harrington
Hogwarts Head Girl
Hogwarts Head Girl
Mimosa Harrington

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Running (Vickson)   Long Time Running (Vickson) EmptyFri Jul 16, 2021 4:37 pm

Jackson didn't remember it being this hard.

As they pulled out of the parking lot and continued to talk over Habiba and the many cases like hers still in the queue, cases that depended on stupid arbitrary details that would take months to resolve, the politician realized that things had certainly gotten more difficult than they had any right to be. Jackson had never actually associated his job with doing any actual good, that was simply a side effect if or when it happened. The nature of the game was to win, and then spend the next few years trying to win again. Very little time was actually dedicated to deciding what to do with that victory.

Until Victoria had come into his life.

"I've ordered pizza, I don't have the energy to cook tonight."

The man looked her way gratefully, his quiet eyes saying "You're the best" as he pulled into traffic.

As the conversation continued however - Jackson more listening than talking, letting the young witch's voice soothe him as he drove - he also came to the realization that he had never been more proud of what he was doing. Yes, winning felt great, sticking it to losers in a humble brag felt even better.

But someone, helping to put broken families together gave him a deep sense of purpose that he had only discovered since being with Victoria. She had somehow turned him into a better person without even realizing it.

Reaching over, he picked up her hand and brought it to his lips, brushing a soft kiss against her knuckles before placing it gently back. It seemed like an appropriate reaction given his epiphany. This feeling was worth all the Bloombergs and the Romneys and the Grahams coming after him. He could fight anyone as long as he had his secret weapon.

Turning off the main road and steering into the quiet neighborhood that housed their apartment, Jackson was distracted once again when Victoria began to speak.

"I can't imagine... being torn from my family like that."

His body tensed at the thought of ehr in danger, his focus shifting from the road to the witch beside him. She didn't seem scared or stressed though, merely reflective. As they turned into the lane leading to their front gate, Victoria began outlining a scenario that would involve them in such a situation. Jackson didn't like the idea one bit as he pulled into their parking space. He would make sure she was never in such a position.

But of curse, the princess being who she was, turned it around entirely, saying she wouldn't be the one to give up on him. The man let out a half smile at the idea, at least until he actually considered it. He had always taken it as his responsibility to look after her but in tables of a legal nature, she was the hero. No doubt if such a situation ever arose, she would do much better than him at convincing whoever needed to be convinced.

"I love you," she would whisper against the man's lips.

"I'm pretty crazy about you too, kiddo," Jackson smiled, returning her kiss in equal fervor. The man didn't let her go though, feeling the day's tension drain from his body with the simple touch.

Instead he reached over carefully, moving his hands around her waist to free her from her seat belt. A little shuffling later, he had managed to lift her across the console and settled her on his lap.

"Stay with me a sec?" he asked, holding her close to him and tucking her head into his chest where she settled as perfectly as she had the first time. Reclining the seat back a little, the raven haired wizard made enough room for her legs to fall comfortably over his as she remained tucked into him, drawing soft circles somewhere on his body that made the world go away.

Jackson leaned down to place a kiss on top of her head.

"You'll never have to worry about being separated from me," he assured her, his own arms drawn protectively around the lawyer. "If anything happened to you, I think your Dad would kill me," he added fondly as he reached to place a soft kiss by her ear, making her shrink into him once more as her weight settled like a rotatable blanket over him.

No, he was never going to let that go.

Back to top Go down
Victoria Newbury
Adult
Adult
Victoria Newbury

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Running (Vickson)   Long Time Running (Vickson) EmptySat Jul 17, 2021 8:54 am

He'd known, almost magically so, that she needed him in that moment. To hold her close and make everything that was happening in the world just stop for a moment, stabilising her back to the world. It was almost too easy, the way in which Jackson had moved her from the passenger seat to his lap, but Victoria didn't think on that long.

"Stay with me a sec?"

He didn't need to ask, but the way in which Jackson had always been so careful with her would never not be appreciated as she rested her head upon his chest, soaking in the steady beating in his chest as they took a moment to reset from the exhausting week... month... year they'd had. Her fingers moved up to his chest, drawing light circles against the fabric in the manner that comforted them both until their breathing slowed to a gentle rhythm.

"You'll never have to worry about being separated from me,"

The witch's head moved slightly away from Jackson's chest in that moment, looking up to him to take in the very serious expression on his face. She didn't worry, in truth, Victoria knew that Jackson would never let any harm come to her. He'd proved it time and again that he would protect her from the world when she couldn't protect himself.

But of course, Jackson continued, mentioning her dad and bringing a smile to the witch's lips as he playfully jested of being too afraid of the older Newbury to let anything happen. The witch knew it was his masculinity talking in that moment, covering up the sentimental message he'd given before.

Jackson's lips found the skin just behind her ear, though, rendering a come back to his words lost. It was just one kiss, but it worked as the witch melted back in to his chest without a word.

Or she would have, had the kisses subsided.

As Jackson's lips worked at the same position again, Victoria tilted her head to allow him more access, the unspoken consent for him to do whatever he pleased to her being granted as her breath hitched with the next kiss to the sensitive skin of her neck.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Victoria's body stilled in that moment.

"J-Jackson..." The witch managed, breathless as he continued to move inside her.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

The witch's cheeks were hot before she looked out the window. The pizza delivery man stood waiting, unsure on whether to keep looking, or try to avert his eyes. The teenagers glee at seeing something like this first hand was apparent, but he tried to conceal it when the lawyer looked in his direction. Hastily, he pointed to the bag he was holding.

"Pizza's here." Victoria managed, ducking her head down to hide in the crook of Jackson's neck. A laugh left the man's lips in reply as he reached around her to open the window. A curt instruction left the man's lips to put the pizza on the roof and leave. From the noise outside the car, Victoria knew he was complying with the wishes, but she hadn't moved to check what was happening.

"Enjoy yourself, man!" The delivery boy called out, and the footsteps sounded through the car park as he moved away.

Victoria glanced up, seeing the retreating back of the boy and letting out a sigh of relief that he was gone. "We had better ge-" The witch started, but Jackson's hands held her in place as she tried to move away. Not unkindly, but with the understanding that there wasn't a rush to leave this moment. Cheeks still flushed from being caught, Victoria pressed a kiss to his lips to concede that point, and the firm press of Jackson's hips up to hers pushed any doubt from her mind.

The pizza had been perfect even in it's luke-warm state when they'd retrieved it from the roof of the car. They'd opted to eat in the car instead of heading upstairs, and Victoria was quite grateful for that much, she wasn't sure her legs would be in any state to function after... her cheeks flushed gently again at that thought. Once they'd finished, they'd moved up to the apartment, Victoria heading for the shower to freshen up after the exploits of the day, leaving Jackson on the sofa flicking through the channels on the TV for something to watch.

It wouldn't have been any more than half an hour before the lawyer emerged in a nightdress, a towel upon her head.

"Find anything of interest?" The witch asked as she moved to the kitchen to get them both a drink.

Back to top Go down
Mimosa Harrington
Hogwarts Head Girl
Hogwarts Head Girl
Mimosa Harrington

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Running (Vickson)   Long Time Running (Vickson) EmptySun Jul 18, 2021 3:51 pm

Jackson wasn't entirely sure when the soft kisses had turned to more instant ones, when Victoria had decided to reach down and unbuckle his belt, stroking him unmistakably through his pants. Not that the man minded of course, he would have been ready even without her ministrations. By the time they had somehow managed to get own own pants halfway down, the man had let och a groan of frustration, one that had intensified as Victoria sank down on him.

The rest was a blur as they moved together, outlining all the space they had and making do without the space they didn't. Had Jackson been the kind of man to question how he was getting sex from the princess in such a setting, he would have appreciated her tiny frame and the mechanics of the drivers seat. As it was, Jackson was beyond thinking as he moved inside her, enjoying each stroke as she gasped against his half unbuttoned shirt.

The Senator did not hear the tap on the window. In fact, had he not attuned himself to listening for any sign of the tiny witch in his lap under any circumstances, he would have missed her gentle voice as well.

"J-Jackson..."

The man stiffened, had he done something wrong?

"Pizza's here."

Relief flooded through the wizard even as Victoria hid against him, her cheeks red hot against his skin. Letting out a laugh, he kissed the top of her head again before sliding down the window.

"Leave it on the roof, and skidaddle."

The pimply teenager did as instructed, backing away slowly from the car with a hurried "Enjoy yourself, man!".

And Jackson fully intended to.

By the time they actually made it into the aaprtment, the pizza was gone and heir clothes were somewhat back in place. The princess insisted on a shower and Jackson detainment the thought of joining her but realized he was far too contented in that moment. instead, the man dumped his pile of files unceremoniously on the dining table before reaching to remove his tie and shirt. Playing long ball, he tossed the dirty cloths in the vicinity of the hamper, not noticing if they landed out or in.

Reaching for his phone, the man noticed a dozen missed calls from Mac and then sidereal the device had unintentionally been set to silent until now. Disregarding the calls, he moved to texts, only to see nearly everyone at the office had flooded his whatsapp page. Even Jenna had asked if this changed her plans.

Deciding to go by level of seniority, the man sunk into his couch and texted his campaign manager.

"What's happening, Mackenzie?"

"Turn on your TV!!!" the woman replied, the additional exclamation marks adding a hysterical edge to her message.

"What channel?" he asked, reaching for the remote.

"ALL OF THEM!!"

The politician didn't have to wonder long what that many as the first channel his TV came to life on was MSNBC special broadcast. The reporter was stationed at the White House and recapping what Jackson and Victoria had missed in the last hour.

"Thank you, Savannah, I'm still here at the White House Rose Garden, traditionally a venue for good news awaiting a statement from Speaker of the House who is expected to endorse what President Warren has said. For viewers just joining us, President Warren stepped out here just half an hour ago and announced the decision of congress to suspend elections for this cycle. She spoke of the need to delay the process as our country goes through unprecedented changes..."

"The fuck?" Jackson cursed, changing the channel to a more reliable source. Fox news showed a worried panel consisting of the usual unholy trinity discussing the same thing. The announcement had been... unannounced unlike other major addresses the President gave. Reporters had been told to be present at the Rose Garden for a usual press briefing. Some had been herded from the West Wing's press junket rooms to the outdoor venue. Jackson changed channels until he caught one recapping the live footage of Elizabeth Warren on the podium, her blonde hair freshly glossed and a dark blue coat covering her usual black undershirt. She spoke of the need to suspect the current presidential electioneer but that midterms would be proceeding as normal as internals affairs of the US were minimally affected.

Jackson watched in shock as slowly, slowly, the news started to sink in.

There would be no presidential elections this year. Because by the time someone filed a petition in court, and by the time it made it to the supreme, it would be too late.

Worse still, the President had implied it was a joint decision taken by leaders of both the democrats and the GOP. Sure enough, after ten minutes, the Senate minority whip stepped up to the same podium, singing the same tune.

Could everyone just decide to suspend an election?

"Find anything of interest?"

Jackson had not heard the lawyer come in, but it wouldn't take Victoria long to see soemthing was amiss. Jackson was watching CNN now with the fervor of a man possessed, hand clutching at the remote as if letting ti go would make it real. It wouldn't take Victoria long to check her own phone - always on vibrate - in her bag and see the same texts he had noticed not twenty minutes ago.

'C-can they do that?' he asked dumbly, looking at her to make sense of the whole situation. She would know. She knew the law better than most people knew themselves. She would make this okay.

"I don't get it, can the House and Senate just... agree to do something like this?"

Back to top Go down
Victoria Newbury
Adult
Adult
Victoria Newbury

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Running (Vickson)   Long Time Running (Vickson) EmptyWed Jul 21, 2021 1:35 pm

The lawyer hadn't noticed anything wrong in the first few moments that she'd asked the question. It was not unheard of for her question to go unanswered by the man if he hadn't noticed it. Either through his engrossment in the television, or because his headset was on whilst he was playing his video game and couldn't hear it, or, of course, simply because he was a man and he didn't always listen -- something Victoria and her mom had noted affectionately about both Jackson and her father on one of their trips to see the older Newburys.

Which had been exactly why the witch had managed to locate two glasses and a bottle of soda to fill them with before she looked across to the man who hadn't answered her. Engrossed Jackson definitely was in the television, but not in his usual manner that would easily be amusing. No, the way his features were schooled in to quiet disbelief made Victoria realise that there was something wrong.

Abandoning the unfilled glasses on the side, Victoria had moved from the small kitchen of the apartment through to the lounge area, stuck between her boyfriend and the TV for which needed more attention in that moment. Grabbing her phone on the way from her bag, Victoria had opened it to find more missed calls than would be acceptable from anyone else than Mac. The messages that followed outlined what the news was now repeating, and the lawyer was quiet as she flicked from the messages to the MSNBC news website for more information.

'C-can they do that?'

Victoria was only just coming to grips with what was happening when Jackson asked the question. No processing had happened for the lawyer as she sank in to the sofa beside him, fingers moving over the story, opening new tabs on her internet browser, and her eyes zipping back and forth across the screen to piece together the story. Once MSNBC had been consumed, the witch had flicked to the CNN website to repeat the process. Corroborating the story from another view to ensure the facts -- or as many facts as either news outlet could provide at the moment -- were the same. For thoroughness, the witch had opened Fox's website last, skimming their version of the story to ensure that the Republican bias was not going to affect the answer that she would give to Jackson who was still staring at the television as if the answer would jump out of it for him.

"I don't get it, can the House and Senate just... agree to do something like this?"

"One moment," Victoria replied softly, her left hand leaving her phone to gently prize the poor remote from Jackson's hands. His knuckles had gone much too white, and the last thing she needed was the remote that would allow them to flick back and forth to different media outlets to be broken due to an unintentional surge of magic from the man beside her. Placing the object on her otherside, Victoria had instead placed her hand in the man's, her thumb working gentle circles in to the back of Jackson's hand to try to gently reassure him.

The story had been fully consumed by the witch by now, and she understood.

President Warren had stopped the elections.

Something that would normally be... unconstitutional at best, and if you were a Republican... Victoria didn't want to try to guess what President Warren was being called by the Republicans in that moment, but she could only guess it wasn't pretty.

Finally, the witch spoke.

"There are circumstances in which the President can do this. Well, actually, it's not the president's choice, but Congress'." Victoria corrected herself, not wanting any blame to be pushed President Warren's way unnecessarily. "But, certain conditions have to be met..."

The witch trailed off, thumbing a new tab open on her phone. Her knowledge on Constitutional Law was improving the more time she spent in the US, but she would not claim to be an expert in the field just yet. It took a few moments for the witch to find the right part before she spoke again.

"The United States Constitution implicitly provides some emergency powers in the article about the executive power:

"Congress may authorise the government to call forth the militia to execute the laws, suppress an insurrection or repel an invasion.

"Congress may authorise the government to suspend consideration of writs of habeas corpus "when in cases of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it."..."

The witch paused, considering the second point she'd raised in that moment. Things had been unsteady in recent months. The world was pushing restraints on America that had never been seen before. Trade out of the country had been significantly hit with Europe, and even parts of Asia refusing to trade with them. It had pushed prices up for many things that had to be imported to the country as supplies became uncertain... but Victoria had never truly believed that they would be on the brink of something much more serious.

"I think Congress believe there is an imminent threat to the country." Victoria concluded slowly in that moment, her thumb that had been moving to try to calm her boyfriend's worries stopping in its tracks as she let that idea sink in. "So they're stopping the elections from taking place so that they can keep the leader of the country in place. Not have any drastic changes coming in with a potential opposition leader taking President Warren's place.

"It may not be completely... ethical, but they can do it. If they believe the threat big enough."

A thought that made the witch's stomach tighten painfully with worry.

Something big was looming, and it didn't sit well with the witch.

Back to top Go down
Mimosa Harrington
Hogwarts Head Girl
Hogwarts Head Girl
Mimosa Harrington

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Running (Vickson)   Long Time Running (Vickson) EmptyWed Jul 21, 2021 2:46 pm

Victoria brought him out of his state of shock, not the words she was saying but her voice. She may have sounded anxious in that moment but she was speaking and if she was speaking, then surely things couldn't be that bad?

"There are circumstances in which the President can do this. Well, actually, it's not the president's choice, but Congress'."

The wizard shook out his raven hair absentmindedly, trying to recall the different Acts he had learned under Mike Bloomberg's tutelage when first starting out on his journey as a low level politician. It seemed a lifetime ago now but he briefly recalled something called The Insurrection Act. Or was it The Emergency Act? They had never really gone through it so much because it seemed impossible at the time. Mike had joked that they never had to worry about something so all encompassing because if there was one thing both parties could be relied on, it could be to never agree on an issue and how to handle it.

Except now, it looked like everyone as in agreement.

Jackson watched, frozen where he sat as one by one, all party leaders stepped up to second, third, fourth and fifth President Warren's plans. The President, the Veep, The Speaker of the House, senate majority and minority leaders, even the head of the fucking Green party was in on this. If the issue at hand hadn't been as serious as attempting to cancel an election, this would have been observed for the miracle that it was.

"Do you think it's to late ot cal Jim at home?"

When Victoria shook her head softly, Jackson punched in the number on his cell, getting Preethi Sarbh after four rings.

"Hi Jackson, sorry Jim's frozen in front of the TV."

"Know the feeling," the Senator mumbled before remembering his manners. "I mean, Hi Bhabhi, could you try and poke him awake, it's kind of important."

It took a couple of mutes but finally, the unassuming nomag policeman was on the other end. Even if Jim and Jackson didn't go way back, the man would still be his first call in times like this.

"Is this from MACUSA?"

"If it is, no one fucken' told me," Jim growled, heard clearly over the loud speaker Jackson had turned on for his companion's benefit.

"How else could they agree on this? Unless the lot of them have been cursed to all hell and back."

'I dunno, Jax, but I bet it has something to do with the dueling tournament that happened a few months back in Florida. We never heard from the winners after, did we? They were all taken into hiding by MACUSA and now this?"

Jackson' memory flashed back to the beginning of the year when he had guessed judged an event with the illustrious Adelaide Goshawk. The winner had indeed disappeared shortly after collecting his trophy and donating all his winnings to some ridiculous charity.

"Tell you what, you check with the feds, I'll try and reach Bo. He wasn't here but i feel his stink somehow all over it," Along with the no doubt stupidly expensive perfume of a redhead.

"Gotcha," Jim nodded before hastily adding "Preethi says to send her best to Victoria."

"I'll be sure to tell her." The men hung up without a formal goodbye, they both knew there was more to say on the matter.

Back to top Go down
Victoria Newbury
Adult
Adult
Victoria Newbury

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Running (Vickson)   Long Time Running (Vickson) EmptyWed Jul 21, 2021 5:22 pm

As Jackson picked up the phone to get hold of Jim from her confirmation it wouldn't be too late, Victoria pressed the button to bring up the subtitles on the TV before muting it. Whilst the live subtitles weren't always the best, they were better than nothing. Victoria had then made her way from the sofa to her work bag, pulling the laptop from it's bag before she headed back to the sofa. In that time Jackson had managed to get through to the man he'd wanted, and the loud speaker brought through the voice of the policeman.

Jim sounded just as put out as Victoria felt when he replied to the question of whether this had come from the magical side of America, but it seemed it hadn't. Or, at least, Jim hadn't been told as much. With how MACUSA wanted to keep things in the country all hushed up, Victoria doubted that the policeman would have been told even if it had been something magic involved.

The point of the tournament sparked curiosity from the lawyer from her laptop screen, though. Pausing from her search on the government's site, Victoria looked over to Jackson with a curious eyebrow raised. He pulled a face back in return as to whether he thought that would be of any use in the end, so the witch turned back to her screen. It took her only a few minutes to pull up the Insurrection Act from her reading, which only lent its hand to proving what the witch had already said.

It was perfectly allowed.

Which meant they were in much hotter water than they'd realised.

As Jackson signed off with Jim, the witch took up the remote, immediately unmuting (and ridding them of the subtitles) on screen. The news had turned to reactions in various States that had managed to get reporters out in to the streets, which meant they didn't have enough to continue on with just yet, and that they were scrambling around in the studio to confirm the facts they had, and to get people on the TV who could explain exactly what this meant, and what was going to happen next.

The witch pulled her phone back to her in the next minute.

Have you seen the news? Call me when you get this message, please?

The message was pinged to both Jake and Azalea. They would be asleep now, and Merlin knew they needed it after the summer they'd been through. Calling through to them now would only spark unnecessary worry -- especially seeing as they didn't, right now, know what the news that was going around America truly meant.

Almost as soon as she'd pressed send, her phone was ringing.

Not Jake or Azalea though.

"Hi mom!" Victoria greeted the older Newbury witch with more gusto than she really had in that moment.

"Have you seen the news?"

"We're watching it now, hang on a moment..." Victoria paused, bringing her phone away from her ear to put it on loud speaker for Jackson to hear as well. "There, you're on loud speaker. Jackson is here. We're both watching the news to try to keep up with what is going on."

"I can't believe it! They can't do this! I know they demanded we all come home from abroad, but surely there isn't anything this serious to warrant postponing the election?"

Victoria looked across at Jackson in that moment, trying to find something to say.

They would continue down the road of what could and couldn't happen for another half an hour. Victoria's mom impressing her dislike for this situation, saying once again that she should have insisted Jake come home with them. Now, in her words, he was going to be stuck in Europe when... whatever was coming came. She'd only given in when Victoria's dad had called for her to let it rest, and that worrying wouldn't do anything. Victoria had seized the opportunity to speak with the man.

"Do you think it could be anything to do with MACUSA, dad?" Victoria had asked after checking in on him personally.

"Couldn't say, really."

The reply didn't surprise Victoria.

"Because you can't?"

"Because I don't know, Vic."

That wasn't a surprise either.

"Anyway, I'll let you two get on, I'm sure you've got much too much to be doing tonight, don't want to get in your way."

With a polite goodbye, between them, Victoria had hung up the phone. Pulling her laptop back towards her, the witch had set to work. Jackson hadn't needed to ask as she read out the number for Bo Miller a short while later. The number had been quickly followed by Adelaide Goshawk's number, leaving Jackson to decide how he might wish to use them as the news continued to guess at what the President and her advisors were doing next.

Back to top Go down
Mimosa Harrington
Hogwarts Head Girl
Hogwarts Head Girl
Mimosa Harrington

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Running (Vickson)   Long Time Running (Vickson) EmptyWed Jul 21, 2021 6:54 pm

The last few years of working together and then progressing their relationship into the definite realm of the personal, Jackson and Victoria were perfectly in sync. He never had to ask her to look up numbers and details because she was already on it. As soon as the call was concluded, two contact numbers were given his way which Jackson saved. He would be in a better position to decide what to do with them in the morning, and especially if Jim didn't turn up anything on his end.

The witch beside him seem to have similar ideas as she picked up her phone to speak to her mother. Despite the invitation by both Newbury women to join in, Jackson only offered polite greetings and left them to discuss the matter until Victoria pulled her father into the conversation.

Alexis Newbury may have forgotten she was on loud speaker, but Henry Newbury certainly hadn't.

"Do you think it could be anything to do with MACUSA, dad?"

"Couldn't say, really."

"Because you can't?"

"Because I don't know, Vic."

Jackson shook his head slowly at the not quite evasion that still promised nothing. Victoria hung up shortly after and disappeared into her research once more, leaving the news on in the background for his sake more than her own. Jackson knew from past experience that she would be following it all online, preferring to read the text so as to keep a tone out of the message.

Jackson watched her for a moment, knowing better than to disturb. When it came to things like that, he was more useful to her sitting quietly.

The man listlessly changed the channel, this time zooming into a Fox News panel demanding the transparently around the decision from the White House and congress. Where were the hearings that were supposed to supersede such a decision? Why weren't they broadcaster publicly on C-SPAN? Could the decision be challenged in the courts? Were bodies of government that were meant to hold each other accountable no longer functioning?

The man hung his head as the questions flew from one mouth to another. Only question and no answers. Getting up from the sofa with a sigh, he made his way to thd kitchen.

It was going to be a long night, he reflected as he put the kettle to boil for the princess and turned to grab some coffee beans for himself.

A long night in which no watching American would be getting much sleep.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Running (Vickson)   Long Time Running (Vickson) Empty

Back to top Go down

Long Time Running (Vickson)
Page 1 of 1