Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Day AU Harry Potter Roleplay Site for Original Characters

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
OOC Shoutbox
Current Plot
September 2028

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 108 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am
Latest topics
» Election Night (Tessa)
Learning the Hard Way (Jari) Emptyby Chester Millstone Fri May 03, 2024 8:10 pm

» Back to Basics (Flying Lesson)
Learning the Hard Way (Jari) Emptyby Josie LeBlanc Fri May 03, 2024 7:51 pm

» Look at these phtographs ( One shot)
Learning the Hard Way (Jari) Emptyby Tessa Greene Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 am

» Night with old friends ( One shot)
Learning the Hard Way (Jari) Emptyby Tessa Greene Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:47 pm

» The Awakening - Purple - February, 2010 (Alexagramma)
Learning the Hard Way (Jari) Emptyby Alexander Quinn Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:34 pm

Unanswered Open Threads
None!
IC Chatbox

Learning the Hard Way (Jari)

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

Birthday : 1992-08-13
Job/hobbies : Auror & DADA Professor

Learning the Hard Way (Jari) Empty
PostSubject: Learning the Hard Way (Jari)   Learning the Hard Way (Jari) EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 8:52 pm

It had been a long first month of teaching at Hogwarts. Things had been far from perfect in Jake's lessons if he was honest, and the fact he'd messed up completely on his first lesson had brought something of a hesitance in his teaching style. For years he'd been so confident, but it had been a mistake he simply couldn't overlook.

Added to that was the fact his best friend had spun his head in a number of directions and definitely not the one he'd been hoping for. Yes, he was twenty-two, but Jake didn't see that as too young, not really, he simply saw it is a step in the right direction. Having his best friend question that had made Jake feel a little uneasy.

But instead of keeping the uneasiness inside, Jake had decided on doing the best thing possible in that situation. He'd decided to talk to Marilyn. There was perhaps no better way of knowing if he was rushing than by talking it through with the woman in question. So that afternoon, after his Saturday shift at the Ministry, Jake had popped by the florist and gotten Marilyn some freshly cut marigolds, a decent size bouquet and headed home.

Opening the front door, Jake kicked off his shoes and put his keys on the side. Moving down the hallway, Jake peered in to their room and the bathroom, finding Marilyn in neither before seeing her led out on the sofa in the living room. "I got you something." Jake told the witch as he moved in to the room, smiling at Marilyn and holding the flowers out towards her on the sofa before leaning down and kissing her cheek.

"You want me to start the dinner?" He added, not sure what to do with himself in that moment. "Or is there time for a talk and maybe... a cuddle?" Jake asked, hoping on the latter, but not pushing either.

~ Auror ~ Profile ~ DADA Professor ~
~ In a Relationship ~ 36 ~ Father ~ 6' ~ American Accent ~
Learning the Hard Way (Jari) Rsz_1j10
Back to top Go down
https://hogwartsandbeyond.forumotion.co.uk
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Learning the Hard Way (Jari)   Learning the Hard Way (Jari) EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 9:14 pm

Today was a bad day. She could tell when she woke up feeling dizzy. Huntresses rarely got dizzy or fatigued or nauseous. And Marilyn felt all three. So whilst Jake was out she shut all the blinds and turned down all the lights, curling up in leggings and a sweater despite it not being that cold, her natural curls tied back instead of impeccably styled. The witch's red lips curved to a pout as she rolled on the couch, hugging her knees and cuddling her face into her scarf. Menstruation was definitely black magic, and apparently one of thefew types she could not control. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Fuck everyone. She never wanted to see anyone, ever-

"I got you something."

Marilyn groaned softly as she opened one eye, Jagger warming her back and not looking up. "Mira mayoneso, that's nice but shh." She gave him a tiny, strained smile and summoned a blanket to drape over herself lazily. Marilyn let out a disgusted groan at the notion of food, not even having touched her tea or coffee or the bowl of cherries on the table.

"No dinner, no puedo."

(Mari)
Back to top Go down
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

PostSubject: Re: Learning the Hard Way (Jari)   Learning the Hard Way (Jari) EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 9:27 pm

"Mira mayoneso, that's nice but shh."

Jake frowned at the words, the Spanish always confused him, hinting at words of familiarity but also completely confusing him at the same time. The one word he'd believed he understood was one that made the frown deepen slightly in that moment, unsure why she was using... was she? Jake didn't even know, so shook it off, pulling the flowers away from the witch and lying them on the coffee table instead. He made a small note of the food on the side and the untouched drink, but didn't comment on it.

The notion of no food, and more Spanish simply made Jake nod. He had no clue what she was saying, to be perfectly honest. But he didn't press the idea, he could get something out of the fridge later if Marilyn didn't wish to eat in that moment.

Instead, Jake shrugged his suit jacket off and draped it over the back of the sofa before sitting on the floor beside Marilyn. "Do you want to talk then?" Jake asked softly, his left hand reaching up gently to hold hers on the sofa. Tentative because Marilyn didn't seem overly happy, but perhaps... perhaps he could help. "About anything? Your day... Work... The future?" Jake continued, putting a little weight on the last option, but not pushing anything once more.

He knew Marilyn, and he didn't wish to push her in any manner. So he took things gently, one step at a time in the hope of working out what was wrong.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Learning the Hard Way (Jari)   Learning the Hard Way (Jari) EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 9:38 pm

She frowned at him taking her hand, but felt too nauseous to move it away, or move at all. Luckily she didn't have to breathe as much as normal people did, so she stopped breathing for brief intervals, keeping her body perfectly still for about five to eight minutes at a time. Blissful minutes those.

"About anything? Your day... Work... The future?"

The talking. Why. At least it was quieter this time. Day was crap, she thought, work is work, future... "future...you have to take Jagger to the Vet next week for shots, I'm working so I can't." She managed to mumble, not grasping what he'd meant yet, too dizzy to make the connection. The future...what was he talking about? The witch couldn' focus, instead lazily adding "Hacer el giro parada mundo primero, fregón, no se puede esperar?"
Back to top Go down
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

PostSubject: Re: Learning the Hard Way (Jari)   Learning the Hard Way (Jari) EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 9:45 pm

The frown on Marilyn's features was not one that Jake felt comfortable with. Well, correction, he didn't feel comfortable at all seeing a frown on his girlfriends features when he held her hand. That was not how this was supposed to go...

For a moment, he thought of moving away, but decided against it in the next moment because Marilyn hadn't said she didn't want him to do that. That had to be a positive right? Yes. For Merlin's sake, Jake, get a grip! He scolded himself, trying not to panic but not overly capable of doing do.

The notion of the future consisting of him taking Jagger to the vet had not been anything like he'd meant. "I can do that." Jake replied softly with a small smile. Jagger and he seemed to be getting along better, but he doubted that a trip to the vets was going to make him a good friend to the dog in all honesty.

But as Marilyn slipped back in to Spanish, it was Jake's features that contorted in to a frown a moment later. "You're going to have to say that again in English, Mari, I don't understand." Jake prompted the witch with a smile, a smile of amusement as if it was some old joke, or the like.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Learning the Hard Way (Jari)   Learning the Hard Way (Jari) EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 9:54 pm

Mari hummed her approval when he said he'd take Jagger, but it was short. Much like her temper when she was on her time of the month. Well. Time of the year. It was still quite irregular, but becoming more periodic and less intense. Unfortunately for Jake the first few days were still insane for her. And by extension, for him. And especially now that she could feel she'd begin any moment now, she was very, very unhappy. Irritated no longer cut it.

"You're going to have to say that again in English, Mari, I don't understand."

She didn't even bother opening her eyes to reply a very clipped, "No." in a strong accent.

"¿Quieres que traduzco, pues no?" She murmured.

English was not her native tongue, the woman hadn't learned English properly until she was about five, because everyone else could speak Spanish. And though obviously she was now fluent, sometimes it was very taxing for her to have to speak English all the time, especially in her own home. And now she'd just had enough. No logic behind it, since of course Jake couldn't really know what she was saying or wanted, but that was simply it for Marilyn. She felt ill, she was tired and she didn't feel like translating. And she shouldn't have to.
Back to top Go down
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

PostSubject: Re: Learning the Hard Way (Jari)   Learning the Hard Way (Jari) EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 10:02 pm

The soft sound of approval that came when he said he would take Jagger to the vets was enough for Jake to know he'd done something right in that moment, though that feeling was short lived to say the least.

Jake wasn't mad that she'd told him no, she had every right to, of course. But that didn't make it any easier for him. He didn't know Spanish in the slightest, and therefore everything she said meant he became more confused, so with the second sentence of Spanish, Jake grew a little frustrated.

"Marilyn." Jake whispered softly, using her full name on purpose to try and get her to remember that he couldn't understand even though he really wanted to. "You're gonna have to help me out a bit if you want me to do something." He added, still speaking softly, but now a little firmer than before.

There wasn't much he could do unless she spoke a language he could understand, after all.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Learning the Hard Way (Jari)   Learning the Hard Way (Jari) EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 10:09 pm

"You're gonna have to help me out a bit if you want me to do something."

"Yo no quiero puto. Yo no tengo que hacer mierda, cabrón. ¿Por qué habría de hacerlo? Estoy en mi propia casa. Esta es mi casa tanto como la tuya. El hecho de que nunca se preocupó puto para mostrar un interés más que educado en mi herencia no significa que no existe fuera del día de los muertos!" At the end she sat up, pulling her hand away and fixing a stirn stare at him, obviously upset.

And she had a point. Just because he was apparently not at all interested in where she came from apart from one holiday a year didn't mean it wasn't there. She was well within her right to speak her own language at home. "As if I'm not stressed out enough, cuando llego a casa no puedo usar mi propio idioma."
Back to top Go down
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

PostSubject: Re: Learning the Hard Way (Jari)   Learning the Hard Way (Jari) EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 10:18 pm

The torrent of Spanish that came from Marilyn took Jake back a little. He didn't need to know what she was saying to know it wasn't nice, the tone spoke wonders. It was only the last couple of words he understood, but without context it could have meant anything. But the last bit, where Marilyn sat up and pulled away from him told him that whatever was wrong, it was probably best to leave Marilyn alone for a little bit.

And it showed in her eyes that she was hurt, but he didn't understand why.

The final words from Marilyn, a mix of the two languages gave no more insight to what was wrong apart from stress. The urge to hug her and tell her everything was going to be okay rose and then retreated much quicker than it had come to being.

"I'll... be in the kitchen when you want to talk to me." Jake told her softly - probably not helping himself but he didn't know what else to say. Grabbing his university book from the coffee table, Jake rose to his feet and moved towards the door, almost hoping she'd call him back because he really didn't like arguing. With anyone, but most importantly Marilyn.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Learning the Hard Way (Jari)   Learning the Hard Way (Jari) EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 10:25 pm

"Quédate ahí!" She glared as he turned to leave, standing shakily despite the floor rolling beneath her bare feet, Jagger quickly standing behind her to steady the witch.

"Stay. Right. There. Do you have any idea what it's like to love someone who doesn't care about your heritage enough to even think that perhaps you might not like always having to speak a different language? You want to know what's wrong? You want to know what's bothering me? I go to work. I come home. I go on a mission. I come home. You know what language I have to speak for all of that? English. You know what my native tongue is? Not English. You want to help? Learn my fucking language, pendejo, I'm sick of having to force my tongue in my own home."

And with that she stormed off to the bathroom where she promptly kneeled before the toilet and threw up, Jagger close behind her, flushing with his nose so the stench wouldn't bother her as much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Learning the Hard Way (Jari)   Learning the Hard Way (Jari) Empty

Back to top Go down

Learning the Hard Way (Jari)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next