Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Day AU Harry Potter Roleplay Site for Original Characters

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
OOC Shoutbox
Current Plot
September 2028

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 108 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am
Latest topics
» Election Night (Tessa)
DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7) Emptyby Tessa Greene Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:19 pm

» Look at these phtographs ( One shot)
DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7) Emptyby Tessa Greene Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 am

» Night with old friends ( One shot)
DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7) Emptyby Tessa Greene Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:47 pm

» The Awakening - Purple - February, 2010 (Alexagramma)
DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7) Emptyby Alexander Quinn Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:34 pm

» 100 Word Tag Drabble Challenge
DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7) Emptyby Mimosa Harrington Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:34 pm

Unanswered Open Threads
None!
IC Chatbox

DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7)

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

Birthday : 1992-08-13
Job/hobbies : Auror & DADA Professor

DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7) Empty
PostSubject: DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7)   DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7) EmptySat Mar 05, 2016 8:15 am

With a permit on his desk, Jake had decided that he was going to try something new with his students. Something that would likely open the eyes of the children before him to what could lie before them in life if they were to take the wrong path.

Jake was a believer in readying his students for the not-so-nice side of the world so that they didn't get a shock of a life time when they entered the adult world. Even if he wanted to protect them from all of that, Jake understood (through his own mistake) that you couldn't defend everyone.

It was better to teach them to defend themselves.

On the board behind him Jake had written (in his untidy handwriting) the words Spell Resistance. Some of the students may have read about this subject, but it wouldn't matter if this was a completely new concept to them. That was, after all, the reason why they were coming to his lessons.

~ Auror ~ Profile ~ DADA Professor ~
~ In a Relationship ~ 36 ~ Father ~ 6' ~ American Accent ~
DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7) Rsz_1j10
Back to top Go down
https://hogwartsandbeyond.forumotion.co.uk
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7)   DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7) EmptySat Mar 05, 2016 9:23 am

For once, Gabrielle wasn't running late for DADA. She had actually managed to put her books and potions set away, remembering that she still needed to attend the last DADA class of the year. It was a strange feeling, to know that she would be taking her O.W.L.s and ranking up as a Seventh Year soon. Somehow, it seemed as if life in Hogwarts had just passed her by. She couldn't really say she felt sad about leaving Hogwarts soon, but all the same, it made her feel rather nostalgic.

With memories of her earlier years in Hogwarts flooding back in her mind, she entered the DADA classroom with a pensive look on her face, not noticing the words Professor Newbury had written on the board as she greeted him. It was strange for her to enter an empty DADA classroom—except for her Potions class, she was always late, with only the worst desks or places available to her. Now that there wasn't anyone in the classroom aside from her and Professor Newbury, Gabrielle felt as if she was seeing the future in that empty classroom. In a few years, she probably wouldn't even remember her classmates' names. Students would come and go. But Professor Newbury would always be there, always waiting for the students who were often eager to cast some spells.

Seeing the words on the board snapped her out of her thoughts. Spell Resistance was quite vague, and she was sure they wouldn't just be learning about Protego for their last class. What did Professor Newbury have in mind this time?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7)   DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7) EmptySat Mar 05, 2016 11:21 am

Defense Against the Dark Arts. Something that was useful for a change. Verena, for the past six years, had a difficulty in finding something interesting in this school. Apart from the social gatherings and such, nothing was good enough for the Pureblood Slytherin. But there were a few subjects worth attending. At least they would help her, eventually.

Dressed in her usual Slytherin robes, the dark haired girl made her way out of the Dungeons and up the Grand Staircase, towards the Third Floor and the DADA Classroom. She was in a somewhat calm mood today, but the people who knew her well enough, wouldn't dare to ask her about it or say anything for that matter.

Reaching the third floor, Verena took a moment to fix her uniform, before entering the classroom with a proud smirk. A Richardson was always proud and ready for everything.
As she entered , she looked around the classroom and gave the professor a small nod, before turning to look at the other person in the room. She scowled, more to herself, then pulled her attention from the figure. She couldn't care less about her.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7)   DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7) EmptySat Mar 05, 2016 11:33 am

Christopher wasn't overly fond of violence. He never had been. Nor arguments. But the Ravenclaw was very aware of what advantages Defence Against the Dark Arts could bring to his life. Keeping himself safe and alive was definitely something that kept Christopher coming back to Defence Against the Dark Arts for the selfish trait he possessed unashamedly; self-preservation.

Moving down from the Ravenclaw Tower to the third floor where the class was being held, wondering what they might be studying that day. However, Christopher had the unfortunate moment of walking in to the class right after his older sister, Verena.

They got on well enough, for the most part, but after upsetting his older sibling at Christmas, Christopher was not in any mood to be near her now. However, he was unlucky in that he'd already stepped in to the room, so Christopher moved past the witch and stood on the other side of the room, focusing on the professor and waiting for the lesson to start.

His eyes moved to the board for a moment though, and upon reading the title, a small hint of a smile touched the Ravenclaw's lips. This was going to be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7)   DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7) EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:46 am

DADA. It used to be Lux's favourite class. It was rarely boring to her and she could learn about causing people harm. It had been the one class that didn't get on her nerves, that she actually looked forward to attending. Up until the professor decided to take it upon himself to become the best chef in the world and serve them a brilliant dish called "Boggart" for dessert.

It took some time for Lux to work up the courage to walk in that class like nothing happened. She hated this feeling; the feeling of being weak and most of all she hated herself for feeling that way, for succumbing to the fear she never thought she had. She was better than that and she knew it in her mind. She just had to connect her brain to the part that stored emotions and download that information.

It did help knowing that none of the other students saw what happened but it didn't help that the professor saw it. She'd made a vow to never cry and had kept it ever since she was three years old. Breaking that vow because fear got to her was unforgivable and she'd punished herself by being nice for a whole week. It was torture.

Taking a deep breath, she sauntered into the classroom like she owned the world, not bothering to acknowledge the professor or the other students and made a beeline for her usual position at the back of the class. The professor better not hint at what happened during the obstacle course or Lux would find a way to make him miserable for the rest of his life.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7)   DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7) EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 6:39 pm

One more class, and then Nirek was done for the year. Pulling himself along the corridors with a lot of reluctance, Nirek slipped in to the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom and took in the people there. No Finley, what a shame that was, especially as there would definitely not be any Madison in the class to get in his way.

Keeping to himself, Nirek waited, casually leaning against the wall of the classroom for the class to begin. His eyes slowly moved to the board, reading the words there and frowning to himself. Comprehension was not something Nirek excelled in, and he wasn't one hundred percent sure he had read the board correctly.

However, the Gryffindor collected himself, deciding to simply wait for instructions before trying to work out what the professor had in store for them. That was... well, he couldn't over think what was coming his way, could he?
Back to top Go down
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

PostSubject: Re: DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7)   DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7) EmptySat Mar 12, 2016 9:26 am

As the class filled up, Jake smiled to each of the students who entered in a welcoming manner. He knew that, as the students got older, they tended not to be so warm to him, fewer greetings, just going through the motions, and Jake understood that completely.

Though, of course, he wouldn't have minded them speaking to him.

Waiting until the clock struck the hour, Jake stood from his desk and got on with the lesson. "Morning everyone, last lesson of the year, so I've set up something a little more challenging for you all. As the board says, we will be looking in to Spell Resistance today. Has anyone come across this in their reading at all and would like to share with the class as to what this branch of magic is all about?" Jake prompted looking around the faces in the room for an answer to his question.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7)   DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7) EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 9:03 am

When Professor Newbury started talking, Lux turned her eyes to him. She wasn't particularly fond of this professor after what happened in the last class but cared too much about her studies to skip the class no matter how tempted she was to do so. She was determined, though, to put on a brave I-don't-give-unicorn blood-what-happened face and power through as if the thing never happened.

Whe the professor asked the question, Lux took a while to think through what she had read and recall the facts. She wasn't the best at remembering everything she studied, usually forgetting quite a large percent of what she'd read by the time the next week rolled over. Fortunately for her, it wasn't very long ago that she skimmed through this particular topic.

Seeing that no one else answered, Lux went ahead and started speaking, not bothering to raise her hand. "It's the capability to guard yourself from the effects of a spell. Some have this inherently like Giants and Half-Giants." It was all Lux could remember from what she'd read.
Back to top Go down
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

PostSubject: Re: DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7)   DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7) EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 8:58 am

"It's the capability to guard yourself from the effects of a spell. Some have this inherently like Giants and Half-Giants."

"That's absolutely right, Lux, well done. Take five points for Slytherin." Jake responded with a smile in the witch's direction. "There are those who have a natural guard against spells, such as those Lux just mentioned. And there are wizards who simply have the capability from birth. However, most people do not.

"You also need to remember that Spell Resistance such as that which you will be learning about today is only effective for some spells and should not be relied upon." Jake explained, taking a pause to allow this to sink in. "The Spell Resistance that we shall be looking at today will be to shrug off the Imperius Curse. Now, from previous studies you will know this is an Unforgivable Curse set out by the Ministry, but I have written authority from the Headmaster and the Minister of Magic to allow you to feel the effects of the spell, and to try to combat it.

"How, I hear you ask? You simply have to say no. Okay, maybe it is not simple, but the Imperius Curse insist you do something, so you must try to control your mind enough to stop it from making you." Jake gave a pause. "Now, I won't make you do anything harmful, because that is not going to be useful, but you might end up doing a jig, or something similar.

"So, who would like to give it a go first?"

OOC: As always, please have fun with this. You can GM Jake casting the Imperius Curse on your character, and then how this plays out. You can make up the funny things Jake will make your character do, but please note that it will NEVER be in anyway dangerous, or inappropriate.

Your character may also post more than once. A liquorice wand will be handed to the person after each attempt, to build their energy back up.

Please also note that this magic is DIFFICULT and not all characters will be successful in their attempts.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7)   DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7) EmptyTue Mar 22, 2016 9:13 am

Lux could feel the excitement bubbling up in her as the professor spoke. Nobody made her do anything she didn’t want to do. Nobody. Except maybe Camera. Because he was a powerful man and Lux wasn’t stupid enough to purposely get on his bad side. But besides him, she was her own person and never did anything she didn’t want to do. This, hopefully, would be easy enough for her. She wasn’t expecting it to be a complete breeze through though. It was an Unforgivable Curse for a reason. But she thought she would find it easier than the other students.

Smiling like the cat who got the cream, she raised her hand. “I’ll go first,” she volunteered. She stood up and waited for the professor to put the curse on her.

It wasn’t difficult to feel the effects of the curse. She could already feel the desire to do some jumping jacks. No. You cannot make me do jumping jacks. I will not do it. Absolutely not. I’d rather slam my tongue in a car door than do jumping jacks. She could feel her resistance slipping though and her leg muscles bunching up, preparing to make a jump. No! I forbid it! You hear me? She could feel her ankle lift the ground so she was tip toeing and by sheer strength of will, she made them connect to the ground again. You cannot make me do anything I don’t want to do.

But then the desire to do jumping jacks left and another came in its place. What?! Why do I want to try and kiss my elbows? No! I don’t want to kiss my elbows. That’s stupid and ridiculous and completely foolish! But she could already feel her hand rising, her right elbow coming up to meet her face. Lux closed her eyes and let out a feral growl, gritting her teeth. She started to imagine blood. Blood running, blood dripping, blood pooling. Then she conjured the sound of scissors, her favourite sound in the world. A smile came to her face as her hand fell back to her side. Yes!

But that wasn’t it. Now, she felt like hopping on one leg and quacking like a duck. What even?! But before she could start resisting, one leg was already in the air preparing to hop. No. No. I don’t want to do this. No! The leg lowered a little. I’m being boiled alive and made into soup. Soon, I will be eaten and my flesh will be torn to tiny bits and digested. The leg touched the floor. That’s it. I do not want to hop and quack like a duck. That is absurd!

Finally, she was standing still and did not feel like doing anything else. But she realised one thing. All that mental concentration and focus had drained her energy and she felt weak and boneless. Never had she had to exert her will so much before, but she’d done it. It wasn’t easy but she was victorious. With a proud smile she returned to her seat to rest.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7)   DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7) Empty

Back to top Go down

DADA: Lesson Three - Spell Resistance (Years 5-7)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next