Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Day AU Harry Potter Roleplay Site for Original Characters

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
OOC Shoutbox
Current Plot
September 2028

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 108 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am
Latest topics
» Election Night (Tessa)
Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)  Emptyby Chester Millstone Fri May 03, 2024 8:10 pm

» Back to Basics (Flying Lesson)
Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)  Emptyby Josie LeBlanc Fri May 03, 2024 7:51 pm

» Look at these phtographs ( One shot)
Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)  Emptyby Tessa Greene Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 am

» Night with old friends ( One shot)
Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)  Emptyby Tessa Greene Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:47 pm

» The Awakening - Purple - February, 2010 (Alexagramma)
Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)  Emptyby Alexander Quinn Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:34 pm

Unanswered Open Threads
None!
IC Chatbox

Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)  Empty
PostSubject: Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)    Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)  EmptySat Nov 11, 2017 6:56 am

There were only a handful of times that he considered himself to be nervous. He was not one to normally be a bit awkward, but he had never been to the Headmaster's office. Headmistress his mind corrected himself. Not even in his naughtiest moments had he ended up here. But the Headmistress had made it clear that he was to visit her after his initial lesson.

He briefly wondered if he had done something wrong. The thought was immediately banished; he actually found himself worried if it was maybe him beginning the lesson on poisons with the younger students. Okay..perhaps that was not his brightest moments. But he remembered how it was when he was in school and how he had heard stories of the potions professors and how they had always fascinated him. He wondered briefly what it had been like being a student at Hogwarts during that time. He wanted that grit back in potions, but he knew he treaded lightly with students that were not him.

So he sat there, stiffly awaiting the Headmistress to return to her post. While tedious, it did allow him to gather his thoughts to his best abilities. Putting his hands together, they rested under his chin as he began to think of all the possibilities and outcomes of this meeting.  

Back to top Go down
Mimosa Harrington
Hogwarts Head Girl
Hogwarts Head Girl
Mimosa Harrington

Birthday : 2013-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)    Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)  EmptyTue Nov 14, 2017 12:47 am

Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)  7mrrycO

The end of March looked promising, even if the ridiculous holiday of fools lurked just around the corner. The terminations of inept staff members had gone as smoothly as she could have hoped for, the board was impressed enough at her ability to streamline the process of education and had given her free reign to appoint staff members she believed would actually stay.

Of course, it was a test. Adelaide knew the game well, she was the board's scapegoat just as much as Andrei Kessler was hers. In big businesses, risk was minimized by placing the blame on one, easily dispensable pawn. The redhead had ceased being that pawn many years ago.

Of course, the free hand in staff appointments didn't mean Adelaide would suddenly become a bleeding heart who only thought of the children. No, she had to find candidates that married both the skill of good teaching with a crowd favorite, celebrity appeal. And Mycroft Holmes was fast becoming a name that inspired both. Which was why he had been asked to casually drop by her office.

The two way glass showed the young wizard's arrival, punctual, proper, everything she would expect from a Holmes breeding. This was already going better than expected. Putting away the folder marked "HOLMES, M", the headmistress spared a glance at the bookcase glass to ensure she looked presentable before calling out just loudly enough for her voice to carry outside to the waiting area.

"Please come in."

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)    Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)  EmptyTue Nov 14, 2017 5:58 am

Allowing his mind to wander, he allowed himself to think about his younger days at Hogwarts. When he had initially started he had assumed that he would never fit in to such a British world, yet there he had flourished and dug his roots deep within the castle. His eyes flitted through the walls allowing the portraits to take him in while he did the same. His eyes briefly landed on the old portrait of Albus Dumbledore; the old man was always a mystery for someone like Mycroft. The idea of being so good and benevolent never sat right with him after all no one was that good in a world such as this. He was never as naive as he should have been, and his eyes moved through each wall taking in as much detail trying to see if the reasoning behind this meeting.

But as he heard the Headmistress, he found himself moving forward. He would not show any nervousness; despite how it bubbled through him. He had never been taught under this woman and he did not know her other than this position. Still, as he entered he swiftly greeted the Headmistress, politely kissing her hand as a greeting. He did not sit down, instead waited to be signaled to sit down. It was only polite and he was always polite.

"I hope the evening finds you well Madame" he commented as charming as possible.

Back to top Go down
Mimosa Harrington
Hogwarts Head Girl
Hogwarts Head Girl
Mimosa Harrington

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)    Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)  EmptyTue Nov 14, 2017 6:20 am

Ah, proper etiquette were a blessing bestowed upon the chosen few, and Mycroft Holmes was definitely one of the lucky ones. As he entered and greened her, Adelaide found a somewhat genuine note beneath her professional smile. "It does indeed," she replied, injecting just the right note of warmth in her tone to put him at ease. "Please, have a seat. How is your grandmother these days? I'm afraid I haven't run into her this season at all." The Goshawks knew the Holmes like all pureblood families knew each other - from a respectful and sometimes suspicious distance.

Should the younger wizard take a seat, Adelaide would continue. "I hear you've been quite busy lately with the ICWW conference coming up? Will you be attending alongside Kamren?" Adelaide had done her homework, everyone knew Mycroft was the unnamed right hand man the Minister did not have. If anyone in the UK would know as much about the Summit as the minister of Magic, it would be the respectful potioneer sitting across from her.

Once he had replied the redhead continued. "And I hope you're finding teaching to your liking. Personally it's not my cup of tea but it doesn't have to be for others to enjoy it and find fulfillment in the task." She knew his own sister was in his class, and for a moment, Adelaide idly wondered if that caused any drama in the Holmes household. Her own brother she could never imagine having a role in her formal education. Aside from being four years her junior, he was possibly the most irresponsible person she had ever known.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)    Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)  EmptyTue Nov 14, 2017 7:00 am

Mycroft was always unsure how to take the older witch in front of him. On the surface level she seemed like a friendly, if not detached sort of woman. She was beautiful, but he knew how beauty was often times the most deadly, only second to being considered unassuming. Still, as she signaled him to sit, he did so politely. He briefly looked around her office, in his own seemingly detached way. Still as his eyes flitted through the room he took as much information as he could from the woman in power here.

It was the mention of his grand-mère that made him look at the headmistress and smiled politely. Ah yes, Goshawks, which his grand-mère had quite strong opinions for. He in turn was less inclined to have due to his unwillingness to show preferences. Preferences got families to lose their hierarchy and possibly lose powers. And while he wasn't as power hungry as his father, he was by no means not swayed by power. Power made the world go round.

"My grand-mère is quite fine, she was a bit surprised that there was no appearance during the winter ball of my sister's coming of age. But the gifts sent her way were much appreciated" he had no clue what she had given, but he had briefly heard the comments from the old hag he lovingly called grand-mère. "But old age will not stop that woman." And it was frighteningly true.

There had been little mention of his role with the Minister, so as she brought it up and changed the small talk to something more narrow, he raised his brow before clearing his throat. There was no point in lying that he knew more than he should, but there was always a way of saying things that were convenient.

"Ah yes, the Summit. I do admit that this will be a bit of a curious venture. The Minister has not said much, nor of my part in all of it" he moved his hands around to emphasize, "But as you know walls do talk, but as for me, I know very little"

As the topics flittered from one to another as if it was small talk, he was having a hard time quite pinpointing where she wanted to concentrate or get from him. He figured that so long as he was careful there would be no harm in following her lead.

"Yes, I am appreciative of the opportunity." he admitted, "It is quite interesting to take this role, as it is a lot more different than what I deal with on a daily basis. It's a good de-stesser even if it is dealing with young minds. But if I may ask...why is my presence necessary this afternoon?"  

Back to top Go down
Mimosa Harrington
Hogwarts Head Girl
Hogwarts Head Girl
Mimosa Harrington

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)    Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)  EmptyWed Nov 15, 2017 3:10 pm

"Oh I did send an apology note to her for that," Adelaide clarified, looking appropriately sad at having missed the ball. truthfully her assistant had managed that but the redhead wasn't about to ruin the pleasantries by admitting it. "I'm afraid ever since taking on the role of Headmistress, I've had precious little time for social engagements. Even Harvey complains how less he gets to see me these days." That much was true, the work had piled up over the year and Adelaide had to fix a major problem in a limited time frame.

When he remained cryptic about the Summit, Adelaide knew not to push. After all, she wasn't looking for confidential information here, just an avenue of conversation that could segue into the reason for this meeting. Mycroft beat her to the punch however by inquiring it straight out. It seemed the young politician cared little for small talk. A pity really since the older witch had always found small talk to have its uses.

"Well, i did want to hear about how you were getting on," she clarified, letting him know he wasn't here under false pretenses. "When I first requested a potions substitute I wasn't entirely sure what to make of it but the feedback from your classes has been positive and most faculty members have a good opinion of you. I hope you'll forgive the inquiry on my part, comes with the job."

In fact, Adelaide had found out that despite his age, Mycroft excelled a what he did, including teaching. He wasn't exactly the warm friendly brand of celebrity teacher which was good. Adelaide needed an enforcer, someone who could discipline the children instead of encouraging them to be his friend. A proper educator.

"And I am very glad to hear you're enjoying yourself. Though i wonder, could you possibly see yourself doing this long term? Spending your days with children and playing an active role in shaping their minds?" There was the question that would decide the way this meeting could go. The redhead waited waited patiently, ensuring he understood there was no rush for an answer.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)    Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)  EmptySun Nov 26, 2017 7:12 am

The pleasantries continued as the politeness continued between the pair. He was always polite; nodded at the proper times, back straight, arms rested comfortably and a genuine interest in the conversation was a norm for him. Mycroft Holmes was not a man who engaged in conversation unless he was genuinely interested, and at the moment he was.

The Headmistress was polite distant, but not in a rude way. Which to him meant that the business portion of the summons was coming. He was prepared for what he was saying, as the pleasantries calmed him down considerably. Being always on edge was something he was known for, he was a true Slytherin, ready to strike if need be, but in the meanwhile gathered information. He knew that she would not waste her time on him if it wasn't important and so he waited for her to get to the proper conversation piece.

To say that he was surprised at her offer was definitely an understatement. He was shocked, confused, gleeful, and nervous. He wasn't particularly good with kids, especially as his sister showed him repeatedly as he fumbled with her. But he was patient and took into consideration their limitations if need be. He would never be a beloved professor to anyone and he was fine with it. So long as he ended up teaching them sometimes worthwhile. Looking at the expression in the Headmistress' face it was clear that she wanted an immediate answer. He stopped himself from lifting his hands under his chin to ponder and instead spoke his answer aloud.

"Madame, if I may be frank, I do not know what you seek in placing me in this position. I cannot promise you to be warm and nurturing to the children, but I promise to enrich their minds if they so allow themselves. I give you this precaution before I truly accept your offer for I do not want you to be...well for lack of a better term: short-changed."

Back to top Go down
Mimosa Harrington
Hogwarts Head Girl
Hogwarts Head Girl
Mimosa Harrington

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)    Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)  EmptySun Nov 26, 2017 3:01 pm

Adelaide took her time, letting him speak and air out his uncertainties. It was important after all, and conversations were more conducive to better overall results than mere orders. His frankness came only from a man who didn't need this job to maintain his way of life. The meeting with Andrei Kessler had gone very differently because he had needed something out of the negotiation. Mycroft was comfortable enough to consider his own qualification for the position he was being offered.

"I appreciate your frankness," the redhead admitted once he was finished, directing her clear emerald gaze to his. "And I hope you will permit me to be just as honest in return." Now came the time to reveal the mental process behind the decision to hire him, and Adelaide wanted to do Mycroft justice in the explanation.

"As I'm sure you're well aware, I am not a career teacher. Barring a few lectures at business schools around the world, I have never taught professionally, especially to children as young as our students here at Hogwarts." She paused, waiting for the information to permeate the room to an acceptable degree. "However, I do know that the times have changed since I was a student, even since you were a student, Mycroft." She paused, as if inviting him to argue the point. When he remained silent, she continued.

"Today, the only thing our students benefit from is coddling. Coddling by their parents, by their teachers and by their peers. And as a result, we have record numbers of students failing in their OWLs and NEWTs, we have thirteen and fourteen year old first years and eighteen year old sixth years, we have prefects who fail to graduate to the next year and in all honesty, Hogwarts is responsible for their shortcomings." In today's politically charged environment, semantics mattered more than good old fashioned tough love. How could teachers help a student correct their flaws when they were hardly allowed to point them out?

"These warm and nurturing teachers you speak of are the teachers who failed as disciplinarians, who do not blink an eye when a student is late to class or does not hand in homework, who look the other way when students are coughs out of bounds or engaged in illegal activities. Teachers who strive to become their pupils' friends rather than an authority figure that can strike the right amount of intimidation and willingness to impress in a student." In Adelaide's days, teachers struck pure terror in the hearts of the children, and as a result, everyone graduated, everyone had some form of achievement to show for themselves.

"So in short, I will not endorse another "don't call me professor" type teacher in this school. Instead, I would value someone who can enforce discipline, tradition, honor and the values of hard work as well as perseverance. These students may be coddled at home but they will be subjected to hard work here. And for that, I can think of no man better for the job than you, my dear boy."

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)    Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)  EmptySat Dec 16, 2017 10:33 pm

The frankness in her tone surprised him. While Adelaide was not the one to mince words when needed and he admired that in the Headmistress greatly. She was one of the few pureblooded women out there thad had successfully built her own power with simply twisting the world to her favor. While he, a man had an empire built around him, she built her own.

A small smirk arose from his face as she finished. He would not be one to properly coddle the children, to properly built them up without a proper foundation. So leaning forward he lightly grabbed her hand, kissed it before shaking it.

"I appreciate your frankness, and the honesty" he said as he stepped back. "I promise to help you in any way you wish for me to do so my lady. And I can only hope that I do not disappoint."

Back to top Go down
Mimosa Harrington
Hogwarts Head Girl
Hogwarts Head Girl
Mimosa Harrington

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)    Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)  EmptyMon Dec 18, 2017 6:28 pm

"Well in that case," Adelaide beamed when the young wizard in front of her seemed to understand where she was coming from. She had expected no less from Mycroft Holmes but it nonetheless felt assuring to know beyond a doubt that they were on the same page. Soon, students would be molded as they were supposed to be, by the guiding hands of a strict teacher at an institute of education.

"I will inform the board of your decision forthwith, and see you return in September as our new permanent Potions Master." the words gave her a smug satisfaction. Finally, someone who met both the celebrity criteria the school often sought along with the firm hand it desperately needed.

"And the Head of Slytherin House." the last part was delivered as the prize it was. The redhead had anticipated her new hire would be most comfortable down in the dungeons he'd spent his own youth. "The paperwork will find you via owl in the summer. Have a look and sign it whenever you get the chance."

The polite niceties continued for a few moments before the meeting was mutually called to an end. They were both busy people with a lot to do, and they were both very aware of that.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)    Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)  Empty

Back to top Go down

Unexpected Summons (Adelaide)
Page 1 of 1