Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Not a member yet? Then why not sign up and join the adventure?
Hogwarts & Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Day AU Harry Potter Roleplay Site for Original Characters

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
OOC Shoutbox
Current Plot
September 2028

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 108 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am
Latest topics
» Night with old friends ( One shot)
Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk) Emptyby Tessa Greene Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:47 pm

» Election Night (Tessa)
Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk) Emptyby Tessa Greene Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:38 pm

» The Awakening - Purple - February, 2010 (Alexagramma)
Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk) Emptyby Alexander Quinn Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:34 pm

» 100 Word Tag Drabble Challenge
Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk) Emptyby Mimosa Harrington Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:34 pm

» Alexander Quinn
Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk) Emptyby Alexander Quinn Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:50 pm

Unanswered Open Threads
None!
IC Chatbox

Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk)

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk) Empty
PostSubject: Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk)   Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk) EmptyTue Jun 04, 2019 6:51 pm

One elbow on the desk, the three running dirty fingers through a tangled mess of beard. His hands rubbed hard against his eyes, manhandling them into awakening, only until finally leaving the sunglasses to fall down and shield them from the light of the room. Bo Miller sat in his office, mounds of papers worse than any sand dunes his current companion. His assistant having been occupied with whatever passed as a test around here, had left him to do his own paperwork. So it was of little surprise it simply wasn’t done.

It didn’t help that he had just gotten back from traveling to Athens, his new ranch was just starting up, and there wasn’t near enough help even with magic. His parents death had left behind land that he had finally come to terms with. Part of him hated to see the land go to a private developer, but the other knew he wasn’t going back and the price had been too tempting not to pounce on.

His other hand moved across his face, picking up the awakening work the first had failed at. In front of him was a document detailing out some scholarship fund that pulled a generous portion of his departments “reclaimed” assets. Specifically illicit items, gold, and so on that had been sold or repurposed. It had been ole Gosh Darns idea, and there was no way the money was going into a raise so it didn’t seem such a bad deal, though it needed a little honey. Which, lead to the meeting today.

Sitting back in his chair, the document signed in every space except the last one Bo closed his eyes for a moment. Thinking on the various stalls he had left to build when he got home. There had been an official department of magical law enforcement meeting earlier in the day, which had led it to be easier to get her and some Auror together. It had been her idea to ask for his support, and he couldn’t argue not knowing any better with the politics round the ministry.

For the he was dressed in official work robes, though they found themselves a little tight not only on his arms, but his chest, shoulders, and belly to boot. He had kept the snakeskin cowboy boots and hat however. Picking up a glass of real tea he took a sip, the strong sweetness working to wake him up where the Manuel effort had failed. Just waiting.....
Back to top Go down
Mimosa Harrington
Hogwarts Head Girl
Hogwarts Head Girl
Mimosa Harrington

Birthday : 2013-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk)   Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk) EmptyThu Jun 06, 2019 5:35 am

Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk) NUP_183737_0031

The performance reviews of the junior and part time staff had come in early this year, in part due to there being so few temporary staffers and in part due to the lazy nature of those conducting the practice. Normally, Adelaide Goshawk neither liked nor saw the necessity of intervening on such matters. She was not in any way affiliated with the HR department of the Ministry and her own office had enough to be getting along with. These days, the First Lady conducted her business very much like the Minister himself did - traveling across the UK and attending droll events, giving pre-written speeches and pretending to be enthusiastic about causes that appeared to placate a a public slowly growing restless.

Yes, normally the redhead would not involve herself in soemthing to insignificant as employee reviews but the Department of Intoxicating Substances was a different matter entirely. After her first meeting with Bocephus Miller, Adelaide hadn't expected much from the man nor his domain. But he had shown great political acumen in appointing his PA and had turned the department into a reliable source of revenue - revenue which had been directed discreetly to the offices of the First Lady to redistribute to the tax payers as she saw fit.

Of course, her protege would never know of such things. Clara was a remarkable young woman any university would be proud to have. But even the best could use a guardian angel, whether they asked for it or not. Bocephus too had come to understand the soft privileges his department received due to his insightful appointment and though it never resulted in anything akin to a pay raise of a bigger office area, it had its perks. When he'd casually mentioned at a Ministry picnic that he would like to bring over a colleague from the Grecian Ministry, the redhead may have suggested broaching the issue with Jake Newbury who was not only a respected senior Auror but who held a lot of the popular votes at the division.

In return for her kind suggestion, paperwork had found it way Mr. Miller's office denoting how much of his seized assets would be diverted into a scholarship fund available for young women who had recently worked at the Ministry. Paperwork that Adelaide was incidentally on her way to collect herself instead of sending an aide.

Reaching the slightly ajar door of the main office, Adelaide knocked once for formality's sake before entering the stuffy, unorganized space and immediately stemming out the feel of trying to touch nothing so as not to get herself or her attire contaminated.

"Bocephus," she greeted with a polite, businesslike smile. Extending a hand to him courteously, the witch waited for him to take it before continuing. "Harvey and I just heard about your parents, please accept our deepest condolences." In fact, Harvey knew or sent no such things and Adelaide had only known because one of he girls down in HR had an ill placed attraction to the unkempt man opposite her. But that didn't merit saying out loud.

"Please do let us know if there's anything we can do for you in your time of grief."

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk)   Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk) EmptyThu Jun 06, 2019 10:00 pm

As the door opened Bo snapped his head up, both hands making casual movements toward his wait, only to relax half way when he saw who it was. Ole fiery Gosh darn herself, here a touch earlier than he had expected. Clearing his throat he stood, gripping the woman’s hand in his own callused one.

“Ahhh shoot, it is what it is ain’t it?” He said brushing away the condolences. He doubted they were much sincere, rather an expected place for the privileged politicals. Letting go of her hand he gave her a wry smile though. “Ought to get away though, just bought a nice ranch. Can come round for supper sometime, get some sun and out of this dusty tomb.” He would say offering her a seat as he fell into his own.

One of the interesting items in the office was the chair he had offered her. Barry big enough for the two, it was in much finer condition than his own. In fact, it’s purchase and prestige had specifically, though never said, was for her use. To exentuate this fact, it had appeared as she walked in, Clara’s own vanishing from the room.

After she sat, he would offer her a glass of sweat tea as he always did. It’s sweetness at ends with the sour look she often gave it. “Got you’re papers here. Reckon they just need the final signing aye?” He would say gesturing to the documents. He wondered if she had expected him to read them, or thought they’d just be signed. “Can’t wait to conversate with this Jake feller in earnest. Get my boy out of the sun and fun and put him in this pen.” He would continue.

The money had never meant much, and the department didn’t honestly need a lot. So seeing so much gold go away wasn’t hard, but getting a competent field agent that needed little to no training, that was worth more than a prize hog, and the spit to cook him with.

Making himself comfortable, he would wave his wand, his clothes changing. Away with the right robes to something much more relaxing. A denim button up shirt in a light worn blue, with dark blue jeans, a black belt, and a bright brass belt buckle. His boots and hat remained, a holster and .45 revolver in his right hip revealed that had previously been hidden.

Pulling out a cigar from his pocket he drew his wand across, cutting off the end. “You don’t mind do ya ma’am?” He’d ask, tapping his wand on the end causing a spark and a puff of smoke. “Got that little gal in maintenance to do up the room real nice. Smoke can’t even be getting out them there doors.” And sure enough the smoke seemed to rise and then vanish.

Taking a puff he would look at the witch. While it didn’t seem like he should, he always enjoyed it when she figured to walk his neck of the woods. If all the people around, he found her the most fun to work with. He wasn’t always sure why, her looks didn’t hurt, but it was something about her aura he supposed. “I saw that real nice grant went through.” He’d day puffing out some smoke, “it’ll be real nice to fix up that part of ole hogwash. I remember the raid that got that gold. I ain’t never seen that much money in one place......”. He would say thinking about the report he had filed. As for his nickname for the school, well he didn’t mind seeing the kids get an education, but he still felt it was a waste of time.
Back to top Go down
Mimosa Harrington
Hogwarts Head Girl
Hogwarts Head Girl
Mimosa Harrington

PostSubject: Re: Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk)   Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk) EmptyFri Jun 07, 2019 1:38 pm

As expected, the man received her perfunctory condolences with little and less grace. No, grace and formality was not Bocephus Miller's forte and Adelaide didn't know if that made him a joke or downright dangerous at times. His work, though nothing to the work of a field Auror, spoke for itself in the funds pouring in through his seized assets and the redhead was begrudgingly forced to admit that despite his peculiarities, he must be somewhat adequate at his job.

At his invitation to come to his newly purchased property, Adelaide gave the appropriate nod. "Yes, we must find time for that," she concluded, ignoring the sweet tea placed in front of her just as resolutely as he had offered it to her. The redhead had made the mistake of taking a sip of the sickly sweet beverage once, and Adelaide Goshawk didn't repeat mistakes.

"Mr. Newbury should b here momentarily, it is my understanding that he's quite punctual." Of course, the experience was nt just from the Ministry. For the two years that the woman had axed as Hogwart's interim Headmistress, she had learned that the former Quidditch star appeared more or less on time, even if with his celebrity status attached.

"I just wanted to assist you in squaring away all the paperwork," she smiled, motioning to the documents he had either just fished signing or was in the middle of doing so. Adelaide did everything by the book, but not everyone needed to see the manual she took her instructions from. "This scholarship is geared towards mature students," she added, reaching fro the sheaf of paper if Bocephus handed them to her. "University is becoming more and more expensive these days, the Ministry really should be doing more to help young people obtain tertiary education."

With one young person in particular, who's space but not chair Adelaide was currently occupying.

"This will be divided into the Unseen university as well as more Muggle options like Cambridge, in case someone wants to pursue a more mixed education." The funding secured for Hogwarts had been close to unnecessary after Adelaide had privatized every inch of the school in her short stint as show runner, but the gold had gone to a good cause. The Headmaster had needed more library resources was her understanding.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk)   Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk) EmptyMon Jun 17, 2019 4:30 pm

“I suppose a little learnin U’ll do em good”. He would say taking another puff. “I wasn’t one for to much what’d you call, formal schoolin, but I did alright I’d say. Still if that’s what they need there’s worth it I’d reckon.” He would punctuate this by passing over the papers. He’d read them over, and had done his best to understand every word. This was not his forte, but he’d put forth the effort for Goshdarn. The only thing missing was the department head approval, aka himself on that final line.

He’d swivel on his chair for a minute, popping out the cigar only to take a sip from the tea before replacing it. He watched the witch examine the papers, going through all the details without a doubt until that final blank would surely catch her eye. “I don’t supposin you already got some o them lucky kids pegged do ya?” He would ask, his look knowing, though without saying a certain name who was a certain favorite.

“Can’t say I know much about the schools over here. Homeschoolin in another country will do that ter ya I suppose.” He would comment at the mention of the schools. He’d had of course heard of them, but their existence meant very little in his everyday life. Home schooled, and basic training, then the armies additional instruction had served him for his education, that and a little practical life experience plus some southern charm.

All this would come as she was reading, so how much she was really listening he wasn’t certain, nor did he particularly care. What came next he wanted settled prior to the last arrival. “Ya know Adelaide, there was one thing I wasn’t certain bout.” He would start, his gray eyes trained on her red hair as she read. “Second page, third paragraph.......might have been a typo there. I’m no math man myself, but them percentages........I’m not sure about that, unless......”. He would nod his head back and forth as if in contemplation, making it seem like clearly the unfair taking was something of an oversight instead of a strategic place on the contract. “You agree to come over sometime for a drink, talk it out with me so I fully understand it, and check out my farm. Professional courtesy....”. He would smile at this, his southern drawl in full effect. It gave his voice a gullible, or even slow sound, as though he was innocent and could easily be mistaken. Unlikely as it may seem after pointing it out.

“I also think it’d be fair if you could get me a goblin to help me with a project of mine. Got a little idea fer a tool I’m tinkerin on. Ministry only cover say......45% cost since it’ll help with the J-O-B.” He would add spelling out job. A quoted cost, and a schematic that resembled a muggle fire arm, though with a wand clearly drawn into the diagram. The price was hardly a fraction of a percentage to the deal she herself held. An approval line lay blank on both. “A drink, a couple galleons, and an asset of an agent to the ministry, what’s that to all them youngsters getting edumacated? Those first two can be just between us, and I’ll admit I was mistaken about that draft, must’n have been my mistake in readin, and can’t wait for you to educate me on it.” It was a bold stroke, but that cat gets weak eventually if it ain’t gettin what it wants, and he knew she wanted this deal.
Back to top Go down
Mimosa Harrington
Hogwarts Head Girl
Hogwarts Head Girl
Mimosa Harrington

PostSubject: Re: Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk)   Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk) EmptyTue Jun 18, 2019 9:12 pm

From the onset, it may have looked like the redhead was too busy perusing the paperwork to listen to the cowboy's rambling vernacular. In truth, Adelaide Goshawk missed very little of what went around her, and the list of demands disguised as petty conversation had her full attention. Despite herself, the First Lady found herself mildly impressed at Mr. Miller's insolence. His practices spoken language might be as far from the Queen's English as it was possible to be, but it seemed he spoke Business just fine.

"The school," she corrected, her green eyes examining the empty space where his department seal should rightly be. "England ensured a long time ago to get rid of any magical education competition. Now there is only one option for parents to educate their young... things." Her distaste for children in general showed as she spoke, replacing the file back on his desk.

"And of late, I hear the school has even started to justify being the only option." The hint of pride in her voice was nonexistent, she had merely done her job and bore no sentiments to that place.

Save the one on whom's behest she was here, siting with an uncultured American and pretending she would drink his unbearably sweet tea.  

The witch listened carefully to his demands, arranging them in order of value in her mind. Of all the things he posed, her time was the most precious, and they both knew it was that he was really after. An ear of the First Lady could lead to many things, and she wondered what it was he wanted with that.

"I could potentially introduce you to a Goblin my family does some business with," she dangled after seeming to give the matter some thought. "However they do not always prefer to be paid in gold. As I'm sure you're aware, they name their own price depending on how favorably they view the one making the request." The statement was clear, she could introduce him to a Goblin but he would have to convince the creature himself. Perhaps he would be better at that, given his unkempt demeanor and lack of formality, he may even form a kinship with the worker.

"That being said, perhaps a ten percent contribution from the department's discretionary fund could be used as contribution, depending on if that payment is required in gold." Forty five was a ridiculous number, they both knew it. Perhaps he'd expected twenty, but ten was all he'd be getting.

"I know the math can be... challenging for some," Especially people with no formal education, she refrained form adding. "I'm sure I can find some time to go over them with you," she finally conceded to his invitation on his farmland. It was the best case scenario he was going to get, and in return he would sign anything coming his way for as long as he was in a signatory position.

"Here you go, sign and seal please," she indicated to the file. Should Bocephus do as instructed, the file would vanish on the spot, landing safely in her own private office currently locked to the outside world.

"Now, tell me more about this asset the Ministry is about to gain," she inquired, feigning interest in what was to come.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk)   Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk) EmptyThu Jun 20, 2019 5:58 pm

The old bird was hard to bargain with. She’d been right at home with granddaddy, Bo thought to himself. She named items, and gave them out with the totality of this was the only way. In truth he’d expected just that. It may not be formal schoolin, and he sure as hell didn’t care for all that civility, but business was just fine, and you learned that in no better place than an old men getting junk from some old lawn sale.

“Much obliged ma’am.” He’d day tipping his hat and winking. Perhaps she had thought they’d haggle more, or that he’d be difficult, but in truth there was only one thing he wanted and he got it. Everything else was a bonus. Taking a deep inhale the end of the cigar seemed to light up more than what was natural. Taking it from his mouth and blowing the smoke up to only be vanished he pressed the end of the cigar down hard on the parchment. A tracing of embers seemed to spread out, only to dull and die into a scratchy signature with the official department seal after “Bocephus T. Miller”

The parchment would twist and vanish, off to some max security place no doubt. He wouldn’t be surprised if the gold had already vanished from the vault below them.

“Asset, is reckon you’d call him that.” Bo would say the cigar remnants swished in his fingers before vanishing. Reaching down he’d take a sip of the sweet tea, ice jingling in the glass. “Hell of an auror, I’d say. Gots instincts like a hound in a hunt. I think with some pushin though he could help us out. I ain’t operating no circus here and you know it. My personnel is tamer than a whipped dog and I could use something with teeth.” He’d sit up and lean forward with this taking another swing of tea. He didn’t mind what he’d been given, and in all his time here he’d fought for nothing while still getting results. Though now he finally had found something he wanted, and he’d fight with the ministry till the cat got weak if he had too.

“We worked good together. I might be a bit of a blusterous fella, and ain’t nobody gonna tell me different, but he’s as cool as a morning dew. I could use that, get me info from dirt bags that my type of hand don’t fit. Sides, he’s good in a scrap.” He’d finish pushing over an envelope that contained Alexio’s resume and portfolio. Bo might be a knife, but Alexio was more like a scalpel. Infiltration, information, those where what he was good at and he’d gotten into several bad wizards groups without them knowing it.

“I want him, I want him bad.” He’d say looking at Goshawk.
Back to top Go down
Jake Newbury
Head of Gryffindor
Head of Gryffindor
Jake Newbury

Birthday : 1992-08-13
Job/hobbies : Auror & DADA Professor

PostSubject: Re: Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk)   Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk) EmptyFri Jun 21, 2019 4:35 pm

The invitation to head down to the Intoxicating Substances Department had been... unusual. Jake had no real reason to go down to that department because it wasn't anything his own department really dealt with. For a time, it had been a source of amusement among the Aurors because they didn't see that a whole department was needed to do such things when they were perfectly capable of fielding such things themselves. Then, the department had proved itself as relatively capable which had left many amongst the Auror teams... a little less than happy.

Jake preferred to stay neutral. So long as the department was doing good -- and anyone taking harmful substances, objects and other harms from the streets was doing just that.

What was odd about today, though, was that the request to head to the department had come from Adelaide Goshawk. The ex-headmistress, and current Minister's wife, was not someone Jake had expected to be down in the Magical Law Enforcement. It would be good to see the witch, though, not that Jake needed to know how she was getting on given her husbands current role.

Prompt, as always, Jake made his way along to the Intoxicating Substances office, and knocked politely on the door, waiting for someone on the other side of the door to invite him in. Upon hearing an invitation, the Auror would let himself in to the room, carefully closing the door behind him.

"Mrs Goshawk." Jake acknowledged the woman, offering her a small smile before his eyes would turn to the other person in the room. Jake was... aware of the man heading the department, but he hadn't expected the stereotypical Americanism jokes he'd heard to actually be true. As an American himself, even Jake could see why his colleagues were creased up at the sight of the other man, but his own expressions remained polite. "You wished to see me?" He offered, not wanting to waste the woman's time. She'd always been busy, and Jake doubted that would have changed much in the past year.

~ Auror ~ Profile ~ DADA Professor ~
~ In a Relationship ~ 36 ~ Father ~ 6' ~ American Accent ~
Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk) Rsz_1j10
Back to top Go down
https://hogwartsandbeyond.forumotion.co.uk
Mimosa Harrington
Hogwarts Head Girl
Hogwarts Head Girl
Mimosa Harrington

PostSubject: Re: Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk)   Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk) EmptyFri Jun 21, 2019 4:53 pm

Adelaide listened as always, never one to miss information no matter how droll it was to her personally. Apparently Bocephus had found a partner he appreciated in much the same way the girl down in HR appreciated him. Still, at least he had brought in the documentation to support his claims of this new potential Auror. From there on, the matter really was out of her jurisdiction. Jake Newbury was the one the unkempt cowboy would have to convince.

“I want him, I want him bad.” He’d say looking at Goshawk.

"And your safest bet to getting him should be on his way as we speak,' the redhead intoned, years of practice not making her flick ehr bright green gaze to the diamond watch on her wrist. Now that the other details had been taken care of, the Senior Auror was ready to be received. As always, her time calculation had been on pint for not a minute later, a knock permeated the room.

"Jake, how wonderful to see you," the First Lady smiled, rising to her feet to accommodate the new entrant into the tiny office. With the three of them crowding the space, there was only enough room for Jake to stand. It didn't matter though, she would be leaving soon anyway.

"May I have the pleasure of introducing Mr. Bocephus Miller, I'm sure you both know of each other." the redhead waited for the men to shake hands, or engage in whatever manner of greeting they deemed necessary. While Adelaide had always questioned the older Auror's prowess as an educator, she had seen no reason to doubt his work at the Ministry.

"Bocephus here would like to speak to someone at the Auror's Division about adding a potential new asset to our Ministry. And as you know, that is very much out of my depth so I would hope you can lend us an ear and some advice."

Then, looking at her watch, the witch spoke once more. "Unfortunately, I doubt I would be of much use in the discussion, and I have just been reached for an urgent appointment. So I shall leave you gentleman to it."

A round of polite goodbyes and good lucks and her end of the bargain kept, Adelaide exited the room, making more space for Jake to actually take a seat. Whatever transpired between the two men, she was only superficially interested in.

For now.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk)   Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk) EmptyMon Jun 24, 2019 2:33 pm

Almost as if she had planned it, her advise to convince the auror was punctuated by his knocking on the door. The lady would be first to offer him entry, and the greetings where initiated. Standing heavily to his feet, Bo would reach over and shake hands with his fellow American. He had to admit, he was probably not from the same parts of the states he was, still he’d offer him any benefits of the doubt for now.

Bo gripped the man’s hand hard, his calluses hands rough, even more so than usual after working in the farm the last couple days. “It’s just Bo sir.” He’d say with a wry smile. At Goshdarns excuse of what they were about to discuss being outside of her depth, he let a small snort of amusement escape. The lady had ally he depth of the ocean and her fingers where current he imagined if she wanted it to be, she could pretend to be a buoy all she wanted.

As soon as Adelaide had stood the chair she had sat in would vanish to be replaced with a much more worn and ragged version. The one Clara often sat in. With the good byes in order He’d tip his hat and offer a simply “ma’am” as she walked out.

Sitting heavily he would offer Jake some proper sweet tea. “Pleasure to finally meet ya. Nice to see someone from back home this side of the world”. He would say to Jake. He didn’t actually know to much about Jake. He knew he was an auror, that he taught at hogwash, and was American and had apparently been pretty good at quidditch. None of which was particularly interesting except the American part so it hadn’t taken much of his time. Now that he had met him, maybe he’d have to pay more attention.

“Well, welcome to my slice of heaven. What’s old Goshdarn told you about what I’m lookin after?” He would ask, a smile on his face. He was curious what she had actually said so far, and with that he’d know where to start.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk)   Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk) Empty

Back to top Go down

Buying a friend (Jake/Goshawk)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next